Notices

Trying to figure if I'm an alcoholic.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to figure if I'm an alcoholic.

Hi all, I'll try to be as concise as possible here. I'm 32, haven't drank since my early 20s, of course I started early in life. In my early 20s I developed anxiety issues, both generalized and full blown panic attacks. Some of the worst was after a night of heavy drinking.

Anxiety and a few other consequences I suffered from drinking convinced me that it was time to stop, which I did on my own, and never relapsed.

However I have occasionally used some other drugs, but never to the point where I would equate it with a drug problem. In the past 10 years I've smoked pot a very little bit and eaten extacy a hand full of times, although would not anymore. I have also taken Valium for anxiety, however that only seems to crop up a few days every few months. I've used it recreationaly as well, but quite rarely.

During my initial sobriety I was so deep into anxiety issues I didn't think of much else. Or really examine my drinking. Later after getting the anxiety under control I never went back to drinking mainly out of fear of living with daily panic attacks. Anyway most of the year the anxiety is under control now, and knowing what it is makes a huge difference, at the time I thought I was dying.

Now I find myself wondering if my drinking in the past was typical of being a dumb teenage/early 20s kid, perhaps self medicating for anxiety without knowing it, and not so much a evidence of a real drinking problem. I'm aware I'm prone to escapism and have some history of alcoholism in my family. But I also stopped drinking and smoking on my own when I decided to.

For years my anxiety finds me uncomfortable in many social situations. Situations I can't help but think could be smoothed out with a drink. In some ways I feel like it could have prevented me from blowing things with my ex wife.

So what I'm wondering, given what I've put above, is if it sounds as if I'd be safe having a drink again? I've never had much patience for AA and the dogmatic platitudes that I've heard from those circles, I have little confidence in getting an opinion I can value at a meeting. I hope that doesn't offend, its just how I am. And I'm reasonably sure I know what sort of answer I'll get here, but I truly think this is something for me to consider, and would be very greatfull for an outside opinion.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read to this too wordy post and respond. Best of luck to all of you.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Josay, welcome.

I'm intrigued by your statement that you're "reasonably sure I know what sort of answer I'll get here" so I don't know whether my response will be redundant or not.

Of course, you are asking this question of a bunch of drunks, so as a group we're going to naturally be wary of drinking in an attempt to solve problems. Mind you I think most people, drinkers or not, would advise trying other ways to deal with anxiety rather than getting tipsy/drunk/trashed. The fact that you are here asking the question indicates you quite wisely have reservations about it as well.

I'm confused though...in graf 4 you say your anxiety is under control for most of the year; in graf 6 you say it finds you "uncomfortable in many social situations." Have you tried behavioural approaches, or meds, to manage it? From reading here I think many alcoholics tried to deal with anxiety with alcohol...hopefully you'll get some good feedback on that. I never dealt with anxiety personally.

Anyhow...nobody can tell you if you are an alcoholic, that's your call.

(I think this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that their marriage might have been saved if only they drank!)
Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Josay
Welcome.

I drank to self medicate my anxiety too.

Drinking started as a tool, it became a crutch and then it became my life.
Personally I don't think anyone is necessarily immune to having that happen.

I think there are better, less dangerous, and more effective ways to deal with anxiety.
D
Old 02-24-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You noted that your worst anxiety was after a night of heavy drinking. Withdrawal from alcohol is what caused my daily anxiety--once I quit drinking, the anxiety went away on its own.

The question is whether you can control the drinking or whether you will slide right back into drinking at levels where you experience the anxiety again. If the latter, it is likely you are an alcoholic who cannot drink safely, ever. The withdrawal you experienced before, after heavy drinking, is a big clue that you were already physically addicted.

It's your life, but it seems that things are going well for you now, so why take a chance on screwing them up again? Do you want to drink THAT badly? That's another red flag.

Just some things for you to think about...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

I think sometimes we just get too wrapped up in the word, diagnosis, description, Alcoholic. This word really covers a wide variety of issues that alcohol seems to be central too, but not always predominate. I guess I like the best description, which is in the AA big book in the Dr's Opinion and that is that is .....loss of control. It doesn't matter how often or much one drinks, but if they often lose control there is an issue. It really doesn't matter what one wants to label themselves if they stop drinking. On the other hand I have always hear the expression, "Normal drinkers don't sit around wondering if they are alcoholics."
Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi,
I suffer from extreme anxiety (both social & specific). I medicate with alcohol so i can go out with a group of friends. At the age im at its "okay" because most people drink heavily too. Saying that, i know my drinking will end up causing me aproblem in later life.

My anxiety does not come from drinking (yes it is worse after a binge), it is a disorder. In my opionion some therapy/counselling would be more helpful for you. You should give it a shot...and then you can choose what you think is best...

Hope you choose whats best for you...
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

You might find this article useful

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...640436,00.html

SR does not promote the idea of drinking and drugging
We offer support and information for those interested in recovery.

Last edited by CarolD; 03-05-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in AA so I'll try to avoid any dogmatic platitudes. But I know what you mean. They can get pretty dreary. I guess your question is whether or not you could drink again to lessen the anxiety you encounter in social situations. In essence, should you use alcohol to medicate your anxiety.

Looking at what you've said in this thread I'm a little confused. At the beginning, you suffered from some nasty anxiety and panic attacks from drinking, especially the morning after. So because of that and some other consequences you decided to stop drinking. Ok so far.

You say you've used other drugs occasionally, and have taken Valium for the anxiety which crops up only a few days every few months now. Then suddenly the anxiety is under control for most of the year. Huh? Is a few days every few months "most of the year"? Just asking here. You also wonder that maybe you were self medicating your anxiety with alcohol, perhaps unconsciously. So is Valium is the real solution to your anxiety attacks, and that trying to self medicate with drinking was a mistake? Again, just asking.

Then you say that anxiety has posed problems is social situations for years. So maybe the anxiety isn't under control as well as you thought, is it? Now you're suggesting that perhaps alcohol would be a good solution to smooth things out. Sounds like you're going back to square one here. What makes you think that alcohol, the cause of all your problems, is suddenly going to be the solution?

I think you're trying to rationalize your way back to drinking again. Yet all the points you make argue against that decision. Alcohol caused the problem, the problem still exists, so let's try alcohol again to fix the problem? It doesn't compute.

You asked for outside opinions and here's mine. Forget for a minute that I'm in AA. If you start to drink again you're going to find yourself back where you were, but now it's gonna be worse. What worries me is the Valium, and the fact that you use it recreationaly. And although I see no signs that you're an alcoholic, the family history of alcoholism also bothers me. If you're still taking Valium and it is helping with the anxiety, putting alcohol back into the equation will be a nightmare.

If alcohol was the source of all your problems, even if these problems have lessened, it make absolutely no sense to start drinking again. What could you possibly gain? Why put yourself at risk for problems that will be much worse than what you experienced in the past? Don't do it.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Josay!

I quit drinking on my own but I don't think that makes my problem less of one. It just means I had the right circumstances to quit on my own.

I suffered from anxiety when I drank, I haven't had an anxiety attack since.

I'm a big fan of therapy and credit mine with enriching my life...I would not have cared enough about my life when drinking to have bothered.

I would hate for you to try drinking again and end up in a bad place...therapy might be a better answer
Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your responses. My experience with internet forums is in far less serious subject matter and I really appreciate the well thought out responses. You guys rock. I'll try to briefly respond to a couple things, and probably fail miserably, at the brevity part.

I was aware even as I wrote it of how inconsistent my analysis of my anxiety sounded. In the end it's not as under control as I'd like, seeing as how I do let it dictate certain aspects of my life. I have a pretty good illusion of it being under control by avoiding triggers, most of the time Valium is a last resort. I'm aware this is a crap solution.

And yes, I did consider that asking a bunch of drunks what they thought about me starting to drink again would likely get me a response slanted in the direction of "dude don't be an idiot". But also I suspect that you guys all have put a little more thought into drinking than the average person, so I'd like to talk to people with cogent thoughts on it.

I think I've come to some conclusions. When I originally posted I was thinking that perhaps I had quit drinking at a time when I needed to, to deal with anxiety issues. Now, doing much better than then, I start to wonder if I've unintentionally married these two issues in my head and have avoided drinking out of some Pavlovian fear that I'll end up back at the same point I was when the anxiety started for me. Seeing as how years of not drinking hasn't eliminated my anxiety. Perhaps I'm perfectly capable of drinking like a normal human being. I'm still not sure on this, but it's got to go on the back burner for now. And I'll always have to keep in mind that moderation and I are not well acquainted, be it positive or negative things I do, I'm not one to half ass stuff.

What I am sure of is that before I even want to consider reintroducing alcohol into my life I need to take care of my anxiety in a real sort of way. I see alcohol as a social lubricant, and need to learn to have fun socially without it, otherwise I'm asking for some degree of dependence.

Anyway, thanks again everybody. I really do appreciate it.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I only read the last post...

Is it possible that the alcohol caused, at least partly, the anxiety... Setting off the cycle... Anxiety, alcohol, anxiety, etc?

Maybe you should listen to your fear of what may happen if you start drinking again... Maybe there is something more than just a pavlovian basis to your fear?

Just a thought.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Even if you don't have a drinking problem alcohol increases anxiety and depression which you have.

There is a book I like called "the easy way to quit drinking" he approaches it from a pretty novel point of view. One thing he said was maybe we have social anxiety for a reason. For instance...do I really want to lower my inhibitions in a crowd of hard drinking brokers (my job)....no...I want my wits about me even if it makes me more reticent. What about a party with friends...are they really my friends if I need booze to be comfortable with them?

I'm not sure I'm doing his stance justice but it really changed how I viewed my own social anxiety.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also suffered from very debilitating panic attacks/anxiety. I wasvoften told that alcohol makes the anxiety much worse in the long run, but in the moment it's a quick fix. I remember reading something about how alcohol suppresses adrenaline temporarily, which is why we don't feel anxiety when drunk usually, and then when it wears off your body sometimes produces an excess of adrenaline to make up.
It's a terrifying vicious cycle. There are some really good holistic remedies I have found, nothing quite strong enough for a full blown attack, but definately helps in the day to day .
Lemonbalm tea or extract, as well as valerian tea or extract ( the tea smells pretty horrible I usually just buy drops) there are also all natural pills you can buy called calms forte that really help, all natural and you can take as many ad you need with no side effects. Passionflower tea or drops work wonders as well. Also increasing your vitamin b intake helps a lot.
I can't really comment on the alcoholism, but I definately know your pain and suffering from anxiety. It's hard but very possible to get your life back. Hugs.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Josay View Post
So what I'm wondering, given what I've put above, is if it sounds as if I'd be safe having a drink again? I've never had much patience for AA and the dogmatic platitudes that I've heard from those circles, I have little confidence in getting an opinion I can value at a meeting. I hope that doesn't offend, its just how I am. And I'm reasonably sure I know what sort of answer I'll get here, but I truly think this is something for me to consider, and would be very greatfull for an outside opinion.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read to this too wordy post and respond. Best of luck to all of you.
Ok heres the thing and all of what I type is my opinion. Alcoholics don't come in one shape and size. We all tend to have things in common but not necessarily.

What your post reminds me of is the very first person I met and hung out with in AA. He said different things that stuck with me and many of the things he said were a result of his study of the big book but also just his opinion having done the AA thing for a long time. One thing I'll never forget is he said "all of us (alcoholics) for some reason.. we don't feel comfortable in our own skin". I could immediately relate with this. This is how I was. I'd be at a meeting with 10 people all shapes sizes types of people and I would feel like the one who was out of place that was fidgeting and hoping no one saw me swallow and I don't know why I was swallowing and I was avoiding eye contact and having trouble speaking and just all that junk which today I frikkin hate and don't do anymore.

It blows my mind how much I can relate with a lot of what you post though. Even the part about don't-give-me-your-run-of-the-mill-AA-bullcrap. My friends in AA and I are in our 20's. We've all been through hell been through the ringer. We've all got personal issues we've had to overcome you know a problem with a parent or something bad happened to us whatever. Anyway to make a long story short when we get together we laugh at some of the bull **** that goes on in AA. You know, the people who think they are hot **** cause they can take a sponsee through the 12 steps in a week and they think they've saved that person, or the guy who only ***** people new to AA cause he's a homely ************ who can't get anything decent looking that isn't addicted to coke or heroin. I mean yeah we laugh at those assholes. But to be honest with you, for every 1 of those idiots, theres 10 good people in AA who really do want to help and have a huge heart. And we keep that in perspective. But anyway I agree with Dee's answer. I personally I don't buy this one-size-fits-all definition of an alcoholic and what I mean is there are going to be people who for whatever reason the first time they drink they get hooked quick and their life is a train wreck ever since. And in my opinion your going to have these other people who things start out so subtle its like a mouse crawling around your basement at night but before you know it a **** storm has come through and maybe it didn't happen in the first month or the first year of drinking even but eventually it gets there and it was so sneaky you don't even see what happened. So do I think you are an alcoholic I don't know I mean sometimes I tell people they are an alcoholic but really I feel like thats their decision not mine. What I do know is this aint no good thing and the good times are over for me with drinking. In the past I have had a serious anxiety and self esteem self confidence issue and I fixed it by becoming a different person both inside and out. I did this through a lot of ways but namely lift weights, become a friend to people that I would want for a friend, pray daily and connect with higher power, have goals, listen to self help tapes, write things down especially inspirational quotes and stories,etc.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can relate to all of what your saying. You have major anxiety issues, you life is seriously effected by it, to help the anxiety you stopped drinking, now you are thinking is it okay to drink but your afraid having a drink will put you back to where you began. Is this right?

If im right, i am in the exact same position. I am getting of drugs soon because it will not be helping my anxiety disorder. I got of drugs before for around 65 days and didnt feel much improvment with my anxiety so i stupidly said "ah sure just this occasion it do something". How wrong was i that i could just take stuff once. After that day i began taking drugs the way i used to do - very heavily and very often. Now i have to start the whole process again...

What im geting at there is, do you think you could have ONE drink and NOT a few? Do you think you could not let drink creep back into your life?

I would be saying differently if you were an alcholic, but from what i get of your story is you were not, you simply stopped drinking to help your anxiety. I will never recommend drinking to anyone, certainly if they have been off drink for many years and let me get this straight...i am not recommending drinking. That is a decision YOU have to make.

Another question i'd like to ask to try and help you develop YOUR answer - if you had a drink, would it be worth it if the anxiety returned to the way it used to be?