Notices

Again and again

Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Again and again

Haven't been on here in ages...I was just wondering about how many false starts others have had when trying to get sober.
I mean, all I seem to do is get really drunk, hate myself the next day for whatever Iv'e said or done(most recently smashed up my lovely samsung touch phone and sworn at my Mum)and swear to myself NEVER AGAIN. And then a few weeks later I buy more horrible, cheap vodka. It's been a while now since my last drink, but I can feel the stirrings of a craving right now..jeez,so tired of this seemingly endless cycle. I need to remember that there's a way through but that can be really hard,can't it?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it took me more than a decade before i got a year of sobriety. i just kept going back for more. over the years, the illness progressed to the point where i was drinking sometimes a half a gallon of whiskey a day. the withdrawal almost took my life...after that, i knew my body wouldn't be able to take another detox like that. so i stayed sober.

you'll crave booze for awhile. then it'll get less and less. i go weeks now without even thinking about it. it DOES get better. it actually gets flat out amazing at times.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've probably quit 100 times. Don't count your failures, build on your successes.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't remember the exact number but I finally got off
the misery go round and so can you...

What have you been doing to quit?

Welcome back to SR...
Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My one year anniversary of getting sober was yesterday. I relapsed many times during that year. But I've also had a year of going to AA meetings pretty much every day, working the steps with a sponsor, learning to get through difficult life situations without drinking, attending a Kaiser chemical dependency program, etc. I also spent a lot of time with my sponsor and t herapist after each relapse analyzing what led up to it and what Icould have done differently. I feel like I finally have the tools and self-awareness to avoid relapsing in the future, if I work hard and stick to my program. So just keep coming back, you will get there, if my experience is any indication.

GG
Old 02-23-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beeyump View Post
Haven't been on here in ages...I was just wondering about how many false starts others have had when trying to get sober.
Oh, my, I have had so many false starts that I stopped counting. I have also stopped beating myself up over them and instead try to review what it was that led to me picking up the bottle (usually of semi-cheap vodka). By doing this I learn more about how to handle situations without drinking, which gives me confidence that I can do so more frequently.

As a disclaimer, I had a super-crazy busy week last week and picked up after a week of abstinence. But on a positive note it helped me to look at and acknowledge some previously unacknowledged triggers.