Notices

the smell of alcohol + a weird dream

Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the smell of alcohol + a weird dream

The other night I went to a sporting event. Normally I would drink a few beers at this sort of event but I was sort of glad not to spend the money on $7 beers.

What was weird though was that the people a couple of rows down were drinking beer and I could smell it. I guess it's a bit like ex-smokers being particularly sensitive to the smell of cigarettes.

And the dream...I went to a business function and everyone was drinking celebratory glasses of liquor. It was a cultural thing in another country so I felt really awkward refusing. In the dream, I smelled it, almost took a sip, then took a bit in my mouth and washed it around...then spit it out and surreptitiously dumped the drink in a plant. It was really weird though, I could taste the alcohol in my dream.

Anyway today is day 50 and so far so good. I realize 50 days isn't that long but it feels like forever and an instant at the same time.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yay for you!

I haven't had "drinking dreams" but I know from experience that vivid dreams about smoking cigarettes are extremely common when quitting nicotine.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
Yay for you!

I haven't had "drinking dreams" but I know from experience that vivid dreams about smoking cigarettes are extremely common when quitting nicotine.
I quit smoking for a few years and had nonstop dreams about smoking. I have occasional dreams about drinking. I've also been vegetarian for 16 years and have nightmares about eating meat to this day. I read that when you stop doing something you have done for anything length of time, it comes out in your subconsicous through your dreams.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I actually WENT to a business function where I was the guest of honor and in a culture where everybody drinks.

"Oh, won't you just try a little? It's so good! Your doctor will understand!" Note that I will probably NEVER see any of these people again, so literally NOBODY would know but me.

Sheesh! Talk about extreme sobriety training ground
Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZZworldontheweb View Post
I actually WENT to a business function where I was the guest of honor and in a culture where everybody drinks.

"Oh, won't you just try a little? It's so good! Your doctor will understand!" Note that I will probably NEVER see any of these people again, so literally NOBODY would know but me.

Sheesh! Talk about extreme sobriety training ground

Wow, so what did you do? What country was it?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Originally Posted by Reset View Post

Anyway today is day 50 and so far so good. I realize 50 days isn't that long but it feels like forever and an instant at the same time.
Congratulations on 50 days! It is an accomplishment to be proud of.

I have a lot of dreams, and I still have drinking dreams. They scare me, but I try to remember they are still just dreams. I would find it weird if I didn't have dreams about it, considering how emotionally distressing drinking became for me those last few years.

I know what you mean about the smell. I never noticed it when I was drinking, but now booze is unbelievably pungent if I'm around people who are drinking.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOL I had plenty of drinking dreams but they weren't cool like yours... they usually were a reflection of the fallout from the nukes I set off in my life
Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Day 50 is cause to Celebrate!

Oh.....And I'm more than 'sort of' happy not to be paying 7 bucks for the 7 beers I would have had to have! It's like an added benefit.....50 bucks not leaving my pocket and no nasty hangover...or nasty memories!

Again, Congrats on that sober time!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

One "revelation" I had in my sobriety is that *gasp* not everybody drinks at sporting events & concerts and those the do only have a few drinks!

Guess I had tunnel vision, focusing on the other drunks, thinking it was normal/acceptable to have 10 beers @ $7 each. Sucker...
Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your 50...
Old 02-22-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

after 15 months, i sometimes still have very vivid drunk dreams. i always wake up extremely shaken up and very upset. mine are never of me taking sips..it's always grabbing a gallon of whiskey and chugging it in front of my family.

i usually get them around anniversaries.. i'll be glad when i don't have them anymore.