Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

warning: SAD way the Twin Cities is dealing with some alcoholics

Notices

warning: SAD way the Twin Cities is dealing with some alcoholics

Old 02-21-2011, 04:22 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

"Those AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) people make me sick. I hate hearing about other people's problems. I have my own problems. If you want to quit, you quit on your own."

Wise.
You cannot beat that attitude out of them. The resolve to maintain sobriety must come from within.
May they be safe, warm and feel some comfort as they have decided the affliction has won.
I thank each of them as I look into eyes that have no hope. I thank you for posting this. It has increased my resolve to stay sober.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Upon re-reading this I am struck by the statement of one of the residents:

"It's a friendly environment, but they are not my friends," resident Hagerman said. "They are the people I drink with."
This describes my barroom drinking perfectly. At one time I thought these folks were my friends, but realistically they never were. They were the people I drank with.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

this has been a very good thread and i have enjoyed reading all the responses.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Also as some other people have pointed out there may be opportunities for 12th step work here.
Operative word is may be opportunities here. Absolutely, AA's solution should be offered to anyone who wants it. However, that solution should absolutely not be otherwise imposed on anyone who does not want it.

Regardless of the 'should be's, it simply doesn't work. Working with drunks has taught me this valuable lesson.

You want to drink and die--none of AA's business.
You want to stop drinking on your own--none of AA's business.
You want to stop drinking by any other method--none of AA's business.
You willing to do what we have done--AA assures you we have a way out.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

This is just my opinion, but I do not think life should be made easier for people who decide to give up on life. I work in a liquor store and I have a bunch of homeless people who live i the woods behind the store and come in all day for their fix. Maybe they deserve to live in these awful conditions until they decide it's time to quit. If they don't quit, and they pass, maybe it will be enough to influence someone else to seek help. I just do not feel comfortable with making it easy for people to throw away their life. I might be wrong, but it's just how I feel