Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Idk where to "post this" but .. I need to talk to someone

Notices

Idk where to "post this" but .. I need to talk to someone

Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

As I said before LV, noone here can give you a risk assessment - medical advice is against our rules.

In any case, there are simply too many variables to allow anyone here to predict what may or may not happen.

If you want medical advice - please see a doctor.

D
Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The reason that we don't think tapering will work is because it's unlikely that you'll be able to actually stick to the plan (if you are an alcoholic). I agree, the IDEA of tapering makes sense. Gradually giving your body less and less of the substance it is hooked on will help avoid the withdrawls that come from quitting (IN THEORY).

My opinion on drinking (if you are alcoholic) is at some point you you'll say "screw it"! I'm going to drink like I want to tonight. And then you'll end up further from your goal.

Like many have said, if you are having any signs of withdrawl, see a Dr. We don't say this for any other reason other than it's in your best interest. As for tapering, the idea of it does seem to make sense, but it's the application that seems flawed. In an alcoholic, we experience a physical craving for more when we drink. So any amount of alcohol is too much for us. It would be my argument that if you are really able to taper off and get all the way down to drinking 1 drink in an evening and then stop, you are probably not an alcoholic.

Recovery is all about honesty. If you find that you have a "bad night" and really tie one on, after the plan was to only have 5, then I would ditch that tapering idea imeediately. Make sense?

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Made it through day 5 fine, only has 4 drinks today
Slept great last night. My goals to be down to one on Saturday and Sunday just stop. Like I said I have some chlordiazepoxide if it's bad.
I'll keep you guys posted, but I feel like I'm accomplishing this. I know I still have a ways to go, and I envision the next 3 days being the hardest but I can do this..
Old 02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just another update I'm down to ( if all goes as planned ) 1.5 drinks today and tomorrows the day i stop. Not expecting any significant withdrawals but well see how it goes
I've been feeling great the last 3-4 days, almost back to my old self of 2 months ago before I ever even picked up a drink and jeopardized my year of sobriety.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
orangutan

I want to wish you luck on your journey.

I could never do a taper, I would rather have nothing to drink than have one that would only leave me wanting more.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just to give an update, I'm at about 60 hours sober. It worked, I had no withdrawals. Now comes the hardest part of staying sober.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

60 hours is fantastic Lv1991. Hopefully it is only forward for you both alcohol and drug free. Hope you are very proud of yourself. Like the others I never was able to do a taper and the first little bit of alcohol just set off a craving I was never able to overcome. Keep this up. Keep posting and sharing your journey in recovery. So glad you are here!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on starting on your way

D
Old 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations, Lv!!! I've been holding my breath and rooting for you! That's a real challenge - and you met it!

Keep going - one day at a time.....
Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lv1991 View Post
So basically I screwed up my nearly one year of sobriety from oxycontin and have been drinking every day, 3 weeks. Started at oh 3-4 beers a day, but in the past week gotten up to 12 or so. I'm done with this , I want y sober life back. I've set myself a schedule to taper down off alcohol over the next week or so to avoid any significant withdrawals, but I still need some advice from people who've been through it with alcohol... Thanks guys..
I have heard of detox centers that you can pay cash and do it safely. I wouldn't try it by yourself. Also, you may want to ask Carol about this.

And tapering off the alcohol never worked for me. It is a simple idea but very difficult to implement.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

^^ well Idk if you read my posts since but I successfully did it and avoided and significant withdrawal symptoms. I am just a little over 3 days sober at this point and feel good
Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Keep moving forward...