Notices

Been outed

Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been outed

By a regular from these forums, no less!

There I was looking at my Facebook page, and here was my "51 Things" post displayed on the newsfeed, John Wayne glaring back at me.

I was slightly taken aback, everyone can see this post with the exception of the few folks I've blocked. Make that quite a few.

Not really sure if I care or not.

And John Wayne never actually said those words, btw.

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid!" — Jackie Brown

"The Friends Of Eddie Coyle"
Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I wish they'd lose all the social networking links for this site.

I think it is a huge violation of the principles of recovery for people to be able to spread this stuff around whereever.

I realize it is an open forum, and anyone can join, or even read without joining. Still, you have to go out of your way to do it--it shouldn't be served up with the latest tweets about Brangelina.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I wish they'd lose all the social networking links for this site.

I think it is a huge violation of the principles of recovery for people to be able to spread this stuff around whereever.

I realize it is an open forum, and anyone can join, or even read without joining. Still, you have to go out of your way to do it--it shouldn't be served up with the latest tweets about Brangelina.
I think it's as simple as copy and paste. Will look at my privacy settings, thing that concerns me, I have posted a bit about my ex and her privacy would be involved, though I've never actually gave any details that a stranger would be able to suss out, honestly don't know if anyone reads that much, have a fair number of people on my 'friends' list that have literally hundreds and hundreds of people listed as friends, they have a lot of traffic on their walls, no doubt.

Facebook really isn't as open as these forums, you can't view much of anything without having an account, unlike these forums.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry to hear that. Someone isn't behaving very well, it seems... That's one more reason I don't 'do' facebook. Some people just have nothing better to do than cause trouble.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Facebook scares me.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I prefer real life to virtual life.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tried FB, tried to like it, tried to find the value in it...
Couldn't.
I find people who have hundreds and hundreds of "friends" sort of pathetic and sad, and the privacy issues bother me as well. When I signed up to it, I used my real first name but a fake last name along with an email address that did not include my real name...what was scary is, somehow, people were finding me, the real me, when searching FB for my real name.

I know little of what we do online is really private and like most people I don't have much to hide, but it is still unsettling.

Sailor FWIW, I loved your 51 things post and bookmarked it! (I did not, however, share it...)
Old 02-19-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

The reason why many people have hundreds of "friends" is because they play the games. Having hundreds of friends is required to level up and earn prizes in the games. If playing games is pathetic, then so be it. It beats drinking though...

All in all...you have to be careful with who you are dealing with. Especially in that type of networking. How can you really know unless you personally know the individual? I'm often shocked at what people post about themselves. There are eyes and ears everywhere. Some things are better left unsaid.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have hundreds of friends, because I have hundreds of acquitances and friends in real life. I don't accept requests from people I don't know nor do I friend people I don't know. It's an easy way to keep up on how people you have lost touch with are currently doing...or bragging about how they are doing.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I deactivated myself months ago. I am not secure enough with their privacy. And even when I deactivated it did not delete my account. I will have to google how to actually DELETE-if I were to sign in today everything on my page including friends is saved.

Sailor..I am confused. Do you see all newsfeeds or only friends newfeeds?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is an open forum - the obvious reason being so people looking for help can find it - but it's up to us to remember that SR is an open forum.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-19-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
The reason why many people have hundreds of "friends" is because they play the games. Having hundreds of friends is required to level up and earn prizes in the games.
Actually most people who have a lot of Facebook friends (myself included) do so because they are outgoing and have a lot of friends and acquaintances in real life. It's an easy way to keep up with what people are up to even if you don't see them as often as you'd like -- and to have more things to talk about when you do see them. And there's no reason to be afraid of Facebook, the site won't have any information that you don't give it, and it's only as "untrustworthy" as the people whose friend connections you approve (not a good thing, in sailorjohn's case, apparently -- that sucks!). For example, providing your home address, cell number, etc. is probably a bad idea IMHO, as is approving friend requests from people you don't know and trust.

GG
Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear it, SJ, that must of have a shock. I hope you have figured out how to block the person.....
Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I once posted on one of those entertainment websites like Usmagazine.com that I could not stand some actress and why. Well low and behold it shows up as my status on facebook. Embarrassing!!! I looked like a total lunatic that had lost grip with reality. Like I sit around and think about this actress all day. The reason I wrote the post was because someone on the entertainment website was going on and on about how great this actress was and I actually met her and she was a little snot. It was an anonymous post on the entertainment website.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In this case John....
You did a C&P from another Forum..and I don't know where the
orginal came from that was posted by another SR member.
Perhaps it's going round the net? I

I don't post anything anywhere that I would mind reading
about in my local newspaper with my actual name.

We do remind our members to not post private info on the voards
in e mails or social groups such as FB...phone numbers.. addresses...pictures

WWW is no place to share anything you wish to keep private.

Last edited by CarolD; 02-19-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(((John))) - sorry this happened. I'm on FB, and other than family, the majority of my friends are from here. I'm blessed that we all don't go into the addiction/codependency stuff on there. They may post something, and I can read between the lines to know something is going on, so I just send them a message.

As far as here, my family/friends know I belong to "a recovery board" and how much it's helped me, so they don't even bother looking me up.

It's sad, that we have to worry about people "outing us" on the 'net, but I also remember that I'm not so important that someone is going to dwell on stuff about me. I guess I'm blessed, too, that the people in my life know my history and I don't know of anyone that would want to bring me down.

Just a good reminder of being careful on what we put "out there".

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-19-2011, 11:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Inappropriate to peg it to you. Let's hope it helps someone.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I'm sorry this happened to you.

In the interests of preserving online anonymity, I think it's always prudent to select a handle different from all your other email handles (eg. *****) and certainly online social networking sites.

I'm not on Facebook and don't plan to be. Ironically, the one friend who outed me to numerous others that I had a drinking problem and had started going to AA meetings is the same guy who is constantly emailing me - begging, pleading, cajoling me - to join Facebook. He's a former investigative reporter and can't help but be nosy. Combined with his other emails constantly asking what's been going on since he left the city I live & work in, I suspect FB is one of his ways to keep tabs on his social network.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Have to explain this, but for the most part-make that almost 100%-I wasn't really concerned about myself, just any stuff I might have posted here about real life situations involving a third party.

And I don't fault the original poster on FB, they had probably seen some links that I had posted previously which also included on at least one occasion, a link to an SR thread. The SR link I removed myself, for the reason that though my 'anonymity' doesn't concern me, the anonymity of someone else should be preserved, one of the traditions of AA.

Alcohol kills more than AIDS, TB or violence: WHO - *****! News

Doesn't bother me that this is on my 'wall', I posted it, and it's going to stay there. The person that posted the SR link removed it and apologized, probably no harm no foul, imo. I may just post the link to the '51 things'- the web link that is-myself.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'm the guilty party. John I apologize for my thoughtless act. I deeply regret that my act outed you on FB.

Sometimes I'm just plane oblivious in a non-mindful stupid way. I wasn't thinking my actions through. I actually thought at the time that John's screen name here at SR was anonymous enough to link his post to my wall. I didn't even realize at the time that his FB screen name is John also.

I hope you find in your heart to forgive me, sincerely Zencat the brain damaged .