Notices

Question

Old 11-09-2003, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

Well I went to my second meeting last night and I feel great. Going to me 3rd meeting today at 11am. I don't know how to explain it but a new calmness has come over me like I never felt before. The meeting last night was a lead meeting and he mentioned about getting a sponser.

How does one get a sponser?
Old 11-09-2003, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tina,

so glad you enjoyed your meeting, I find that I get something out of every one of them.

About sponsors, there is a leaflet you should be able to pick up from any AA meeting called "Questions and answers on sponsorship" and this should help. Basically, I looked for someone who had the qualities I wanted and who had a fair amount of time and experience in sobriety.

Best of luck and keep up the great work.

Amy
Old 11-09-2003, 03:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So I have to pick out a person to be my sponsor? I don't know anybody yet and although I am an open and friendly person when approached I have a hard time approaching others...hmmm must be a rejection issue (I'll have to work on that)

Anyhooo...I guess I will have to wait till I get to know ppl better. Do you just walk up to someone and say "Yo, ya want to be my sponsor" I know that sounds dumb. Just looking for more insite I guess.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there Tina ! Whoooooooo! you are doing great ! I went to a meeting tonite , dont they ever make you feel good ? lol
I just asked a person to be my sponser , I had met her at my very first meeting, and she made a great impression on me . She is a bit older than me, and the Serenity just oozes from her ! She has 28 years Sobriety . I rang her a couple of times , before I asked her , ( she had given me her number the first day )
I too have problems with rejection, so I was scared too, but she said yes !
Hope it all works out for you with the Sponser thing Tina , I think HP just puts them in front of us , and we know , cos I reckon He waits til we are ready
onward and upward Tina
One day at a time
HUGXXXX
Lee
Old 11-09-2003, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Tina

you are doing simply super!!! :clap :clap :clap

Check this out re Sponsors...and do get the "Questions and Answers" Amy suggested.

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html
Old 11-09-2003, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your insite.

CarolD, thanks so much for that link!
Old 11-09-2003, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Good for you Tina! I took a couple of weeks to find my sponsor. Hit all the various meeting to find the one that "fit". No hurry on this.. your HP will lead you to the right one.

and yup... just that simple asking.. but it's not "do you want to be my sponser?"... but" will you be my sponser?"... YOUR looking for the right one.. not vice-versa... make sense?... petty semantics..... you'll find the right one.. and the words will come when you find her.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi all. I went to my third meeting today and it felt good. I met a lady that introduced herself and encouraged me to stand and introduce myself to the group. I told them my name, how long I have been sober (5 days) and that this was my third meeting. She told me to make myself known more as a new person and to get phone numbers and to get a home group.

So after the meeting I spoke with a group leader and made that meeting my home group. It made sense as I plan on attending that fellowship 6 days a week. I also got her number and the number of another lady. Its a start I also bought several books on ebay as well.

It's scary but it feels good too!
Old 11-09-2003, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

and the best is yet to be Tina...:redrose
Old 11-09-2003, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Way to go Tina!

I too had a weird feeling about asking for a sponsor. I had a woman I met at my first meeting offer to be my 'temporary' sponsor, as she explained, you need to find he right 'fit'. She was helpful and yes, temporary... looking for another.

Great that you picked a home group. I finally did that today, I've been going to different meetings since Oct 3rd! I also picked up a commitment to open up, make coffee and greet everyone for a particular weekly meeting.

I find it helps me feel more accountable and responsible and serious about sobriety.

Keep going to meetings and read DAILY! You will be amazed before your half way through!