Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I feel like I have a bad hangover even though I'm sober

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I haven’t had a drink since Friday morning but I feel like I have a hangover. Actually when I woke up on Saturday I had the same feeling that I did when I drink after a I’ve been sober for a couple of days and then drank again. Now it feels like I have a headache about to come on all the time. I don’t know. It might be a tension headache because I am clenching my jaw so tight for some reason. I hope I’m feeling better by Friday. I miss drinking but I don’t want to drink anymore. I’m tired of it. Actually I suddenly started to hate the taste of beer and sherry which are currently my drinks of choice. I also don’t miss being horribly ashamed by having to come to the liquor store yet again. I hate looking at empty bottles at the end of the week when I have no money for gas but I still have to get to work. I always look at those bottles and think – What was I thinking? How could I have money for alcohol but no money for gas or food?!!! I hate looking at other people who are clearly alcoholics and wondering if that is the way I appear to other people. I hate wondering if the cashiers talk about the alkies that they see at the store. I always wonder what they really think of me. I hate having to worry about the risk of a DUI.
I still have that $8 in my account. It’s all the money I have in the world right now BUT I’ve held onto it since Friday which is a record for me. I also haven’t spent any money since Friday. When I don’t drink I become a real tightwad. Which is nice
Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From what I gather its pretty normal. I'm still getting the odd hungover feeling when I wake up and I haven't had a drink in over a month now.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

It's gonna take a while.

I'm over a year sober and it doesnt' always feel great.

Welcome to life

Keep up the good work!

Kjell
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I get sober hangovers sometimes too, usually I trace it back to too much sugar, which I crave incessantly since I've been sober...

Zube
Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Alcohol is only one issue (problem), hopefully the biggest you'll ever face. Get rid of that, and there are more issues (problems) waiting for you alcohol may have hidden.

Bad night's sleep? Life Blows!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Could be a MILD detox withdrawl too...

If so, feel blessed it is mild, Detoxing is a real B*tch!!!

Good luck to you!
Zube
Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very typical. I remember feeling like I had a mild hangover after I got over the worst withdrawals (which were not as bad as I had built them up to be). I still do not think I am at 100 percent and I have 100 something days (around 114 I think).
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You know drinking has been causing you harm for a long time.
It's going to take time for your mind and body to adjust.

Please try to relax...sobriety is worth the discomfort...
Contact your doctor if you get concerned please.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm 8-1/2 months clean and sober and I get the hangover feelings from time to time. Had one a few days ago. I think for me they are mainly emotional hangovers. If I get overly stressed or have a problem I dont take care of real quick, I have an emotional hangover. However, sometimes when I get together with friends and drink a few cups of coffee and eat a bit of sweets at night, I tend to have a morning hangover.

When I use the term "hangover" nowadays, it's no where near the alcohol hangovers I use to have.

Thank you God,
MIchael
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback. I did wake up on Saturday with a hangover type feeling but I have also found something else that may have contributed to it. I take Wellbutrin and Dexedrine first thing in the morning and that also gave me a ‘cotton head’ feeling which I will bring up with my doctor.