Notices

DTs...Input Appreciated

Old 02-05-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DTs...Input Appreciated

Hi, I'm new here and have a few questions, if I may.

Just some backround information.

I've been drinking since about 2006.Before that, I wasn't even a social drinker, didn't drink at all.Around that time I had what I would call a traumatizing experience and a friend offered to take me out and convinced me to take a few drinks (he meant well, I know I'm responsible for my actions)

I would call myself more of a binge drinker as of now. I always manage to quit for 2-3 months, but now when I have a problem I've begun using alcohol as a type of coping mechanism. Drinking by myself at night just to passout and escape

Here's my question. Has anybody here experienced DTs and what are the telltale signs?

I used to be able to drink with not even a hangover and as time has went on the withdraw symptoms have seemingly gotten worse.This most recent attempt has been the awful.Tremors, sweating, shakes, really strange dreams and what's scared me the most--an extremely rapid heartbeat.The only way to stop that is to drink a few throughout the day.

I know medical info is not allowed to be given, but I'm wondering if it's not time to seek professional help.

Just looking for other peoples experiences.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

I'm no doctor, but whether it's DTs or not - my vote is yes - if your concerned enough to post here, you're best to seek professional help.

You must have read enough to know detox, especially DTs, can kill.

Your life is so important - what have you got to lose but getting checked out?
Don't hesitate.

D
Old 02-05-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, but what does DT stand for?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Delerium tremens

Hopefully this will answer some of your other questions Jerjer - but like I say, you need a professional to get a diagnosis

PubMed Health - Delirium tremens

D
Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Jer and glad you are here.

I also agree that seeing a Dr is a good choice here.

Keep it going.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...seeing your doctor is a wise move
especially since you are having heart issues.
Be honest about your drinking/de toxing...so proper test can be done.

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 02-05-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

some people use the term "DT's" as an umbrella word to describe any withdrawal from alcohol, but Dee is right, real Delirium tremors or any of the other withdrawal you've described can be dangerous.

what happens to most of us during the worst of the physical symptoms came by way of very high blood pressure and a racing heartbeat. these are not things to mess with. people have had strokes and heart attacks by trying to "solider" through these without any medical intervention.

please do go see a doctor. Even if it's just one of those immediate care centers people go to to treat bronchitis or the flu. most areas have a few in thier community and they only cost about $50 to get seen. Just look in the phone book and find a couple and give them a call ahead and ask if they treat alcohol withdrawal. most do.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, you can have very uncomfortable withdrawals without DTs. But any detox is best undertaken with medical supervision.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

please do go see a doctor. Even if it's just one of those immediate care centers people go to to treat bronchitis or the flu. most areas have a few in thier community and they only cost about $50 to get seen. Just look in the phone book and find a couple and give them a call ahead and ask if they treat alcohol withdrawal. most do.
Thanks BD......I was not aware of that option
and never used one for anything either..
Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Having just got out of the hospital for withdrawal I will offer some input. I had a extremely rapid pulse, sweating, shaking hands and while arriving at the hospital I began seeing spiders and spider webs in the waiting room. I was seen right away and given a huge shot of valium or some benzo type drug. Within 10 minutes I began feeling much better and was given IV fluids. They didn't say but I think I was on the verge of the DT's. I was there for 3 days and was treated well by the doctors/nurses. As was stated previously seek medical help.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Jerjer1 View Post

Just looking for other peoples experiences.
I am not going to go into the details of DT's but here is a list of some interesting things you might see while experiencing them;

Wallpaper on the walls
Bugs on the carpet
Faces in the window
Monsters beside the bed
The Grim Reaper on your chest
Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies.

I contacted a detox clinic in my area this morning. I had a bunch of questions--most notably how long is the stay? The lady said the assess each person differently but could be up to 7-10 days but most times 3-5.

Admittedly, staying in a hospital for days makes me nervous. But at this point I think It may be needed. My plan is to go down there and atleast talk to a doctor and then go from there.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good Luck and please let us know how it goes.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had DTs when I cold turkeyed benzos and alcohol at the same time.  

Symptoms started 48 hours after cessation and continued for 10 days, peaking on day 6 with a seizure.

Symptoms included (I'll list major ones, there were over 100 in total)

Sweating
Shaking
Auditory and visual hallucinations
Blood pressure maxing at 190-200/97-105 (for 3 days)
Heart rate 150+ (for the several days)
Fear and Terror
Seizure

I did this at home and soldiered through it. The first 10 days were extremely bad, still 6 month later I have a handful of symptoms remaining. I wouldn't recommend it, you can die. Go and get it checked out.