Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long was it until you could sleep

...did anything help?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chrissp View Post
...did anything help?
I went 4 days straight when I detoxed without any sleep. I mean not one wink! I finally went to the doctor. He prescribed something with a damned 15 syllable latin name I can't remember it. Anyway after that I had no more trouble. Some people have insomnia for weeks...it varies.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yea, I didn't have more than 5 min in the first week. I had to have something or I was going to go insane. I don't know if or when I'll get normal sleep again without anything.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me 5 days to have a decent night's sleep. I took valerian root OTC non-prescription stuff. You should talk to your Dr., especially if you are on any other medication.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it was about 4-5-6 days before I got more than 2-3 sweaty hours...I use relaxing tea and take valarian and melatonin...also for some reason turkey makes me sleepy (think thanksgiving)
Old 02-04-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Being active helped...getting plenty of fresh air and meditation!!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It took me awhile. I have always had trouble sleeping, even before my drinking days. I went to my doctor three months after I quit drinking for a complete physical and he prescribed me trazodone to help me sleep. I took it for about nine months, and then tapered off. Now I sleep like a baby. I do still take 1/2 of a .5 xanex at night to help me calm down and sleep. (All doctor prescribed). There are some things that can help, but it is best to see a doc and get his recommendations.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I read your other updated thread....so I am aware
you did nap and are useing a sleep aid....

Here is another link you might find useful

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Glad you are here with us...sobreity rocks!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Honestly, it took me a nice few weeks. Maybe 4 - 6 weeks? Now, I didn't have total insomnia. I would fall asleep at 3:00 and wake up at 6:00.

And then, 6 mos later when I was under a lot of stress, I got this wierd situation where I would drop asleep at whatever hour I laid down my head, wake up 1 - 2 hours later, and then not be able to get back to sleep until 6:00. This shallow sleep situation was the worst, because it felt so hopeless.

But, controlling the environment (cool room, no light, no internet late at night) really worked for the shallow sleep situation. It seemed like my body wanted to feel totally comforted and relaxed and safe before I went to sleep. Then it would stay asleep.

When first quitting, I think it was just a matter of time. It got better with time. Exercise and controlling the environment helped, but my body needed time to adjust.

Good luck and congratulations for stopping!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just a few days...honestly I slept extremely fitfully when I drank; I am sleeping much, much better by just falling asleep instead of passing out.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used natural supplements that help induce sleep (Valerian root and Melatonin). I also used Benadryl and Advil PM, but only 2 pills maximum per day. Since I mentioned pills I need to mention, don't ever try to overdose on pills if you don't have full understanding of their functions. You'll just be tied to a dialysis machine the rest of your life in all likelihood. Sorry to bring this up but it kills me how this isn't public knowledge to everyone that a lot of people don't know this.

Now you asked about sleep. I had a very weak connection with my higher power before I started working the AA program. My connection is very powerful today and its what motivates me. This relationship was the single most important weapon in my arsenal in order to obtain sleep.

If I could summarize what I need to obtain a restful sleep in one word: FORGIVENESS.

Learn to forgive others and forgive your higher power, and to ask them for forgiveness. In my case, I could not forgive myself. This is what kept me up long hours and drove me to drink. I could not forgive myself. I was only able to forgive myself when I truly surrendered and was truly prepared to accept my actions and do the best from this day forward, and follow through with the serenity prayer. If I was alone in this world I don't know that I ever would have forgiven myself. It was only when I made the connection that everyone around me was suffering my hell with me, that I said, I can't do this. I can't hurt them any more. And if it takes forgiving myself to avoid hurting any other people, thats what I'll do.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It took about a year, give or take a couple months, before my sleep was what I'd consider "normal." Once I fell asleep, I was good to go but getting to bed was tough. My head just wouldn't slooooooooow dowwwwwwwwwn.

I pulled a LOT of all-nighters that first year on weekends and work nights. I just got frustrated trying to go to sleep so......eventually......I quit fighting it and just stayed up.

Really though, everyone's different. It may straighten out quickly, it might not. A big part of recovery though, is acceptance. For me, sleeplessness was a big part of practicing acceptance for me. After a while, I kinda got accustomed to it......and shortly after that, it finally sorted itself out.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone,

finally slept last night for nearly 13 hours. I feel nauseous and rolling anxiety upon waking up.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I knew from the past that the first few nights would be 'toss and turn', so this time, I made sure on day 1 to get up at 2 am, work out at 5 am, and after work, stick to decaf soda/coffee. In a few days, things got better. 2 weeks later, all is good. In the past, my Dr prescribed Seroquel, which let me sleep like a baby - did that for a year. It's better for me to fall asleep naturallly now.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

tdtexas....Welcome to sR....

Good to know you are moving forward
Thanks for joining with us...
Old 02-05-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh boy lets see, this week has felt like a month LOL. I went to sleep Monday night at 3 am and woke up at noon. I tried to sleep mon, tue, wed, but my mind was too stimulated. Got to sleep on Thurs a couple hours, and last night a few hours. I feel its getting slightly better, and am looking forward to any progress I make.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went 8 days without sleep, then started getting an hour or so. It took 4 months for me to start getting 5 hours of broken sleep a night. I avoided valerian root as it acts on the same neurotransmitter receptors as alcohol and benzos (fact, not speculation).

I implemented a good sleep hygiene regimen and exercise well. Now 6 months out I sleep 6-7 hours broken most nights. Every few weeks there are a few nights where I get only 4 or 5 hours.