Notices

Back at it.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back at it.

Hi,

So, I'm back at it once again. I've had a few 30 day periods off from drinking within the past year or so. When I do drink it's generally once or twice a week, and when I do, it is from anywhere from 2 to 6 12oz beers. Most recently after about 10 days off, I had a three day which consisted of 2 beers one evening, 2 the next and then 5 on that Saturday.

Since then, I have felt quite antsy and generally "out of the ordinary" - On the 19th (the last day off before I drank again) I got a flu shot. I wasn't sure if the way I was feeling could be a reaction from that or due to the non-drinking of the alcohol, so, I went to the doctor today, he checked the basics that are checked when upon a visit, etc.

I told him my recent drinking patterns and so forth. He recommended I start exercising and drink more water. Recommended a blood test for Thyroid, since he didn't have one in his computer system for me (his words) and would call in the case that anything was abnormal.

So, here I sit, pretty anxious and with energy which began on the 23rd (the day after my last night of drinking) It comes and goes.

Anyone else experience this following I guess you would say "taking a break" feeling better then resuming the same dumb action? I don't like this at all.

I will not enjoy drinking or thinking about drinking after this.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you mean is it better to go through any feelings during sobriety better than going back to drinking. Yes!

I know any day sober is better than any drinking spree and following consequences.

Time to make your decision. Understand that early sobriety may be uncomfortable, but untimately is so worthwhile.

If you are feeling anxious, and full of energy...time to back away from the computer, and get up and do something!

Exercise, clean the house...go to a meeting of AA if you are so inclined.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went upstairs and dug out the exercise bike. Oh, weeee! In the process, I found a full edition of the Minneapolis Star newspaper from 07/18/69. I'm going to read about the moonwalk and the original production of "True Grit" being featured in town!

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am glad you posted. I think one of the main things about drinking that didn't agree with me any more is..it didn't seem to matter how much or how little I drank. I was suffering EXTREME anxiety the following day. Once I quit..it went away ..so I know it was alcohol induced. I NEVER wanna look back. I will not give up the calmness that I have in sobriety.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How long did the anxiety seem to last following you quitting? And, I'm not sure if what I am experiencing is anxiety or something else. Seems like in the morning upon waking up and getting moving, my head is just on energy. I feel really energized and alert. As the day goes on, towards mid-afternoon, evening, I tend to feel more calm and "normal" - Sometimes it comes back around later in the evening ("drinking time") but passes, if I stay up long enough.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had extreme anxiety for several days after quitting but it soon settled down. And since I'm sober my anti anxiety meds work a lot better. The w/d anxiety was a big thing that led me back to drinking but once I got tough and refused to drink over it it eventually went away.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another question. Should I count the day after the last day of drinking (hungover day) as a day of sobriety or start it on the day following the hungover day? I've been doing the latter, like I drank last on the 22nd. Hungover the 23rd. Sober since the 24th. Or is the 23rd counted since I did not drink?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I start my sobriety on the first day I do not drink.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice. I ask because being on my 10th day, sounds a bit better than being on my 9th day... But, if it shouldn't be counted... then it would be the 9th. Just wondering!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Day 10 for you....
and I'm glad you are eing pro active and honest
with your doctor.

Welcome back ..
Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, Carol. Yes. He knows my past patterns, as well. About a year or so ago, I went in after 30 days off, convinced that my drinking had caused damage, so, I ordered a liver test. He said it came back totally normal.

That part was great, but it sure didn't deter me from drinking once I heard that. Yes, I cut back and drank less often and less in quantity, but still felt it as an annoying little habit that screwed with my body. So, here I am. It seems to be getting better as the days progress.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 11. Went to the grocery store yesterday and the 'ol devil store (buy lottery scratch offs) no desire to drink. Looked at the cooler from the counter and it made me feel nothing, the other stuff doesn't bother me. I could look at the bottles of 151 and 100 proof whatever all day long. Beer was/is my thing. Anyway, I talked to my buddy who works there and told him my plan. He said he should do something about his boozing, too. May get another on the wagon.

So, regarding the anxiety (or whatever it is) in the mornings... still there, but I'm either getting used to it (may be normal, just not used to it, since waking up after a full night of deep sleep) went to get the coffee and sat there for a little bit. Just felt antsy... didn't want to sit still. Mind wasn't racing or anything like that... just wanted to stay busy. Hope this evens itself out sooner than later. This occurs mostly in the mornings.

Have a great day!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Test results back. All normal. His nurse read me all the numbers for each thing and said all in normal range. Will send me a letter showing the results. So, I assume this is merely a withdrawal symptom from abstaining/part of PAWS,etc. Will keep rollin'
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad your results were OK

Anxiety is pretty common - if it becomes long term tho, or you feel concerned, it's probably good to seek medical advice about that specifically.

D
Old 02-03-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Dee,

That was the primary reason for the visit and for the test. He thought the cause was either attributed to drinking after not drinking for a period of time (especially for three evenings in a row, 2 one day, 2 the next and 5 on the third and then stopping) or a hyperactive thyroid was the cause, hence, the test. He told me to drink more water and exercise. So, that's what I'll be doing!

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 15. (according to the sobriety calculator 16 at midnight) - Feeling better, tonight just eating some more cake that I baked the other day, with some hot chocolate. No cravings, etc.

Looking forward to the, 21, 30 and beyond.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

End of day 20. Tomorrow hits 3 weeks. Looking forward to the 23rd (30 days)!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you....
Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's fantastic T! Congratulations on a job well done!!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go!

D