Notices

30 days for me

Old 01-30-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days for me

30 days today for me.
I'm proud of myself but yet I guess I expected to feel on top of the world by now. I'm quite bored actually, still trying to figure out how to have fun again.
I made it through my first party sober, I'm happy about that, it really wasn't too difficult, as drinking is just not an option for me anymore, so there was no argueing with myself or trying to fight the urge. I didn't even consider it. I feel like I have truly accepted that I just can't drink (responsibly). Of course I still wish sometimes that I could drink like a normal person, even social drinking would make me happy, but I never stopped at just those few drinks, I'd be drinking AFTER the party was over, until I fell into bed, or fell wherever (even on the dog sometimes).
I do feel better physically, I love my sober, hangover-free mornings, and most of all I love being done with the black-outs, ugh, those were the absolute worst, probally my main reason for quitting. I know it's all worth it. I'm just feeling a little disappointed I guess. My drinking never caused any major problems in my life, maybe that's why not much has changed. Anyway, I'm rambling.... I just wanted to say Thank-you to everybody at SR, it really has helped in a big way.

Last edited by undercoverangel; 01-30-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: paragraphs
Old 01-30-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

30days is awesome! Congrats!!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Congrats on the 30 days!

Don't worry, you will learn to have fun sober. It just takes some time, and some getting used to.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on thirty days sober! Keep on keepin' on.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
at peace

Congrats on 30days! You said drinking never caused you any problems but you're concerned about the blackouts. Yea, they were a main concern of mine as well..a very big concern. I'm way past the point of realizing I can't drink responsibly so I have to adjust my life style as well. I know it's not going to be immediate but living sober can and will be the best way of life I can have even though I have rough days like everyone else. During my current sobriety run I'm finding a lot of things interesting actually. Things I never done well in the past like managing my finances are falling into place magically. If you look there are all kinds of things to prevent boredom... There's much more to life than going to party's and getting hammered. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations undercover angel

I think a lot of us think - the drink is the problem- remove the problem and voila!

I think we forget most of us drank for so long we really lack a few essential life skills...it takes a little time and work to develop those - but we generally do

D
Old 01-30-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

30 days!!! Congrats Undercover!! Way to go. I too started getting more blackouts towards the end. No way do we wanna make a backwards move. Keep on !!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days!! It does take time to learn how to live, have fun, deal with stuff again, but it happens.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-30-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Life didn't just suddenly change for me either - the first couple months I had no energy and felt like I didn't fit in this world, but it kept getting better an inch at a time.

The boredom went away once I got my energy back and started getting interested in things again. I don't get that instant happiness anymore, but I must say I'm developing a feeling of satisfaction about my life these days. When I stop and think about it, there's much to be grateful for.

Congratulations on 30 days - that's a big milestone! (People often report feeling funky around milestones - so maybe that's a factor, too).
Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your early sobriety..
Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank-you everybody. I do think some of the bored, restless feeling is just from lack of energy. My energy hasn't returned to normal. I know choosing not to drink is the best thing I can do for myself, so I do feel good about that desicion every day. I guess I just get upset when I realize how I actually depended on alcohol for fun, for years. It's kinda sad, now I'm left wondering what I used to do for fun, without the drink. What a mess I made. I used alcohol in social situations often because I have extreme social anxiety (was on medication before we lost health insurance). It's awful at times, I'm even embarressed to admit it, but there have been moments I turn beet red if somebody just talks to me. It's humiliating, and alcohol took away all those feelings, it allowed me to mingle effortlessly. I know I have to deal with that now on my own, without the crutch, so of course I worry about that. Anyway, thank-you all, not sure if I could do it without SR.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 30 days!!! I too had to figuar out what I was going to do for fun at that point. I picked up the hobbie of doing jiujitsu and have added other things like crossfit to the list. Most recently I have made a "bucket list" of fun things to do in the city I live in. Bascially googled "fun things to do in st. louis" and every weekend I have been trying something differant. It's actually been a pretty good time. Gone ice skatting outside if forest park, saw a movie at an obscure theater which even had couches, went to a comedy club and ate sushi. I have lived here all my life and never thought to google these things as 'fun' alwasy meant drinking at a bar, home, party or anywere for that matter. Now that I have some sobriety time I have learned that we just need to get out and make our own fun to cure boredem. It is a difficult transition at first but then in no time there is a lot of fun to be had without drinking.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations, undercover!

I really like rws's suggestion...I think you can build "muscle memory" of having sober fun by exercising that muscle.

I'm not yet at 30 days this go-around but am feeling tired a lot of the time...part of the adjustment, I think.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Nice one! more of the same

Well done.

Stu.