Notices

Going to a detox unit after Thursday.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Thumbs up Going to a detox unit after Thursday.

I just joined this site the other day. And I gained some useful tips from many people on this site. And I am now convinced I can not safely detox myself. There are certain reasons why I can not go right now. I have something to take care of on Thurs. before I can go. If anyone has any tips of where to start searching for a local rehab other then google... I am open to it. I am going ot be making a lot of phone calls in 4 hours. I have to find a detox unit before Thurs.

Being sober completely sober scares me.... I am so so so sssssoooo scared. But this is something I have to do for me and my health. I want to thank those who have helped me to make this decision. This is not easy... Making tihs decision again is harder then the first time....

If you are familiar with me you'll be seeing posts after I get out of rehab....

Bless all of you.

Jennifer M.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A brave decision to make, well done.
I hope it goes well for you and you come up feeling great.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a US wide site - simply click your state, fill in you location and you'll get a range of nearby options, usually with a brief description and an idea of cost.

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

good luck Jennifer
D
Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Jennifer))

I know that fear you are describing all too well.

I was afraid to stop drinking..
I was afraid to keep drinking...

This alcoholic had to have face to face support for recovery. Once the alcohol was out of my system, I was left with just the shell of a woman.

The program and fellowship of AA saved me. You might want to check it out.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You ARE brave, and smart. I am so glad you are taking the step.
((((hugs)))) to you. You CAN do this. Alcohol doesn't need to be your only friend, because it's not...it's an enemy, a killer from within.
And you know what, I am like you. I was terrified to not drink. Terrified to not have that rosy alcoholic glow telling me my life really was ok. But that rosy glow? It's a lie.
(These are the things I have to think to continue on not drinking. I have to get ANGRY at the alcohol, it's what helps me.)
((((((hugs)))))) and much strength to you.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Jennifer, if you're not drinking now, you probably won't need a medical detox by Thursday. Detox is generally for the first 3-5 days of acute detox. What may benefit you, though, is an inpatient program--28 days or more. There, instead of getting through the physical withdrawals (which will likely be over by Thursday), you can focus on how to stay sober.

Good luck.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with some of the above posted, unless you've had a drinks and kept up your physical dependence, you probably wont need detox by Thursday. Hint on finding a place if you can't find anything on that website, walk right into the ER and they will get you into a place pronto. Short on cash? No insurance? Tell them, they will stick you right in a DPH bed free of charge.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was afraid of life sober too. Thought it would be so boring and blah and difficult. Turns out it's easier, more exciting, and more fun. It takes a while to rebuild and readjust—but you will be free, truly free. That's an amazing feeling—way better than any alcohol buzz. You're going to be really grateful you did this!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's a great move, Jennifer. Good luck for Thursday and your rehab.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Inpatient or outpatient treatment, just get some support and guidance on living sober. It's so worth it. As long as you're not drinking between now and Thursday your w/d should be over by then or soon after. BUT if you have any problems or start feeling really badly, GET MEDICAL HELP.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

good for you, miss m! I hope you're able to get in right away. I know it's scary but as they say "it's always darkest before the dawn." Look at it as the start of something really, really good.

Hugs and prayers............