Notices

On and off the wagon, first AA meeting.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Job well done.

You're honesty, willingness, and humility will get you far.

Keep up the good work.

We can and do recover. You can be living proof.

Kjell
Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Good work, Stevie. You mentioned finding a sponsor. At some meetings the chairperson will ask those willing to sponsor to raise their hands. At this time you can look around and see who is available and chat with some of them after the meeting. The women's meeting may be a good place to find a sponsor. I might suggest going to the same meeting a couple of times, listening to the other members, and if one person kind of jumps out at you (because you like what they say, how they treat others, etc.) talk to her after the meeting and ask if she's willing to sponsor. Or be a temporary sponsor, so if it doesn't work out, there will be no hard feelings. Good luck! You've got a good plan.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks DB! So far, three meetings and I haven't met the same person twice and the one I went to tonight was a big meeting and almost all men. But it was a great meeting, fairly close and every night except Saturdays, so I'll probably hit that one again, but there's a women's meeting on Friday and once I've got a week in I'll be going to the same meetings over again.

There was someone at the first meeting, if she's not there this coming Sunday I thought I would call and just chat about the whole sponsor thing. But I don't feel any urgency yet; so far I am getting a lot out of just listening to other people share, reading the BB and reading the AA forums here too.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Stevie......totally loved your first post.

Funny, isn't it, that we can go from soooooo low sitting out in that car - debating whether to walk in or not....... to sooooo warm and comfortable. AA was and is about the only place I know of where I can go.....talk about some deep dark secrets that are tearing me up......and half the room is shaking their heads in agreement cuz they've had those SAME thoughts. And even better, half of those ppl have some direction for me on how to get through them myself.....and how to do it with some sanity intact.

It's truly a wonderful place. Glad to know it's still working..... one Michigander to another.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Stevie, our first meetings were extremely similar. Walking into a meeting the first time is very scary. Once I was in, admitted to a room full of strangers that I was an alcoholic, and then felt their love....it was soooo freeing. Keep up the great work!