Notices

The joy of shopping!!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The joy of shopping!!

I have re discovered my joy of wondering around the stores looking at stuff...even if I don't buy anything..just being there brings me happiness..it's something I hadn't done while I was drinking...just to linger with a cup of coffee...I especially enjoy doing that in bookstores!! I guess my point is how amazing it is just to do the simple things that probably alot of others take for granted... it's a nice feeling that my time no longer revolves around alcohol...I pray that others will find this sense of peace, along their journey!!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i also rediscovered longer shopping trips in sobriety....at first i was distracting myself, then found a great sale on450 thread count sheets at Bed BathBeyond...plus i had a 20% coupon....my shopping has escalated....so hasw my desire to cook real food and clean my house.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate with 'cooking real food and cleaning my house' and it has only been 4 days! and how about 'taking better care of myself'...I got my hair done today, sober (which I wasn't last time), bought some products at Sehora as I feel my skin is turning over...some Perricone vitamins...I used to just be so focused and so in love with the booze...that was all I wanted - and all it did was put 20 lbs on me and make me look like crap all the time - my kids look better! because I take better care of them - they didn't look horrible before but they look so well looked after now...
Old 01-17-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, I HATED shopping when I was drinking, because I would only go out if I hadn't been drinking (so I was safe to drive), but then I'd be going through withdrawals the whole time and just absolutely DYING to get home and drink.

It took me two years to kind of enjoy the browsing around again.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear you! I love window shopping. It can be just as gratifying if not more than the real thing. This way it helps you 'sleep on' things you want to buy and think about it before making your decision...I've saved alot of money and sanity this way! Great post! Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

I think that it has alot to do with taking care of ourselves...nuturing a part of us that has been lost for so long.... I appreciate looking good now, buying make-up, hair products,bubble bath...getting my nails done..it I never cared for any of that when I was drinking...I'm realizing now all that I missed...but I sure appreciate it now!!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hmm, as a bloke shopping has never really been my thing

There's a wider point here though. The longer I'm sober the more I appreciate the little details in life. Small observations that I would never have noticed now make me think and make me smile.

Anyway, I'll let you all get back to your shopping...
Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I'm enjoying shopping, too! A few months ago I came home with one of those cheezy light up holiday things for the lawn and some pot pourri. It felt nice setting the house up to smell nice and the kids were really into the lawn thing. It hit me that I had never done that before and we've lived here for 4 years.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't buy nice clothes for about 7 years. I thought that I didn't "deserve" them because I was a bad person, a drunk. Well, I know I am not a bad person now, just sick.

I wore my teenage kid's old clothes they didn't want anymore: jeans, sweatshirts, T-shirts that didn't exactly fit me. They are boys: I wore castoff teenage boy clothes. I walked around with frayed, tattered clothes. I had a winter coat I wouldn't throw away because I told myself I'll buy a new one "when I stop drinking".

Well, that old coat got tattered and worn, all the seams came apart: I kept drinking, it kept coming apart. I kept wearing it.
Lordy, lord, I was a sight. I kept all my clothes washed and clean, but they all should have been tossed into the Salvation Army Bin.

Since I quit, I have started to build up a wardrobe again. Getting dressed to go out and go to work is a joy now, a return to normality.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

^ oh I can relate to that! I went through my wardrobe this weekend actually, first time in over 5 years. I'm down to bare bones now but all the stuff that's no longer 'me' is gone.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love love love Chapters!!! My love for reading has came back!!! and I enjoy spending time with a good book or two!!! I seem to have acquired quite a few books in the past year!!! and the library is another spot I go to alot!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow.. I thought I was going a little crazy until I read this thread. I been going to the mall lately and just walking around and buying a few thing if I see a good sale and just browsing, over the last few months I bought 5 new pairs of tennis shoes, but i got a good deal! And one other thing I enjoy now while I'm in the mall is take in a movie, I feel like a kid again (is this what normal people do.. lol). My wife kind of looks at me funny now when I come home from the mall, but I think she likes the new me.... Good Post Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

littlefish,

I SO relate. Actually, I still haven't brought all of my grooming and wardrobe up to snuff. I also gained about 25 pounds the first two years I was sober, and I've had the weight loss/gain thing before and it sucks having to replace a whole wardrobe.

So I hit the really inexpensive bargain stores and got serviceable clothing. I've almost lost all my sobriety lardage and will soon be able to buy clothes I am motivated to spend money on. Meantime, I need one more set of in-between-size jeans (may hit the thrift stores--a great place to buy jeans.

All in all, I plan to be HOT in my retirement years, lol.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i just enjoy the browsing....even if i find a really good dollar store....

there are lots of good outlets in my area and a giant Barnes &Noble, Panara's bread shop, gourmet groceries....amazing what you can buy when you cut out the booze.

example: 5 different fresh out of season veggies/fruit is the same price as a bottle of wine.