Notices

Our genetics may determine our friendships

Old 01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Our genetics may determine our friendships

From an article I read today.

Like birds of a feather that actually do flock together, individuals who carry a particular genetic marker for a gene called DRD2, a dopamine receptor that is associated with alcoholism, among other traits, tend to make friends with other DRD2-positive people, according to the study results. Conversely, those who lacked the gene tended to form friendships with people who were also DRD2-negative.

Opposites also attract
But the scientists also found that when it comes to our genes, opposites may indeed attract. According to the research, folks who carried a version of a gene called CYP2A6, associated with an “open” personality, made friends with folks who didn’t carry it.

This idea of heterophily, or the love of the different, existing simultaneously with homophily, the love of the same, “should not be true at the same time,” says Fowler, who believes ongoing research will show that different biomechanisms, such as the sense of smell, might also come into play as we form friendships.

The researchers believe that friendships, when viewed from the genetic level, could provide a better understanding of the way that our genes may shape our social environment, and the way that social environment influences our behaviors.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm..
Have they discovered a way to identify recessive genes?
Just curious....
Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In 2006 they figured out there was a causality between the gene and alcoholism. This led them to do further studies on the specific gene to see what else it might influence so that explains the article I posted today.

Maybe in our lifetimes there will be gene therapy or even engineering on embryos to prevent alcoholism!

DRD2 Gene Transfer Into the Nucleus Accumbens Core of the Alcohol Preferring and Nonpreferring Rats Attenuates Alcohol Drinking - Thanos - 2006 - Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research - Wiley Online Library
Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

At least there's some scientific knowledge now as to why misery begets misery.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Interestsing.

None of my friends are drinkers ...in fact several almost never drink.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All I know is..when you are bringing the house down so to speak..raising hell...drinking all the time..that is what you will most likely surround yourself with. That is why so many people find that after they get sober..they have very few friends..or no friends. I never thought it had anything to do with genetics. But interesting...hmmm...