Notices

AA success rate?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA success rate?

I was reading in an addiction article the success of the AA program is between 3-7%. That is a lot lower than what I would think.

Is addiction that powerful? Or are others finding other ways to quit?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe you can go to all the AA meetings you want, do all the step work you want....if you DON'T want it and wanna keep it you are gonna fail.

I even think more than "willingness" is needed. Going to meetings shows you are willing, but that is not enough.

This addiction is baffling to say the least
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know the numbers but I do know that the rooms of AA are FULL of people that are sober because of the program. I am proud to say I am one of them. AA did for me what I could not do for myself. Granted, I had to put in the work but it saved my bacon!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Those numbers are skewed.. Because 90% of people there (maybe less) are court ordered.. Not on their free will.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My success rate is 100%. That's all that matters to me.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I refuse to pay attention to any statistics because they
simply can not be proven.
Too many variables...aned and different wayss to define success.

Me? I'm 100% AA recovered ...over 21 years and enjoy life.

Wish the same for everyone
Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

'Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path' is absolutely true in my experience with AA. It's up to you if you want to thoroughly follow our path.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I was looking into statistics for recovering alcoholics. I could find nothing definitive and found a lot of conflicting information. But one thing seemed clear, that regardless of the recovery method, success rates are shockingly low. Relapse rates high.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeless2day View Post
Is addiction that powerful?
Yes.

But as an earlier poster pointed out, many that attend are not there willingly. Something else that I was told I needed was to be teachable. Which sounds like willing, but goes far beyond it as I soon found out. One year later, I'm glad I followed their advice and grateful for AA.

Don't worry about statistics - work for sobriety.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AA, so far, for me, has a 100% success rate. I have been willing.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My group was smallish when I drug myself back into AA in '82. The people there who had a year have either died sober or are still ahead of me 28 years later. None have drank again. 100% of them have stayed 100% sober so far. No guarantees, but they're looking pretty good.

We've always had a ton of newcomers blow in and out each year, but about one a year actually does the steps and because of that, sticks like the rest of us.

Hopefully you'd like to stick instead of being part of the chaff that constantly blows in and out of AA whenever the door opens.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Two things I gleaned from a very expensive higher education:

1. A hot beaker looks just like a cold beaker. Not everything is at it seems.

2. Statistics do not lie. Statisticians do. All statistics can be influenced.

We have influence over one set of statistics regarding AA and recovery....

Our own.

There is no way an honest assessment can be compiled for AA recovery statistics, as there isn't any constant to benchmark from. The people, the history, the environment, the support or lack of it, the social influences, the intellect, moral background, social, physical and mental ramifications all contribute, and vary from person to person.

We can influence the statistics of one outcome. Ours. 100% success is the goal, and you can hit it everyday. Just. Don't. Drink. That may be hard. There is a program to follow to ensure success. It hasn't failed to work. Some have failed to follow it.

So. Some statement read that AA enjoys a 3-7% success rate. I can submit a 100% success rate. I base my submission on the fact I did not drink, did not suffer an agonizing existence, was not socially deviant, legally dangerous, financially irresponsible, and acted in a generally non-selfish, considerate manner towards all this entire day. And a considerable amount of days prior to this one.

And there is a painful, colorful history that qualifies my being here.

I have no objective in posting this other than to bear witness to the fact that what was once going on in my life and killing me, has ended. And how that came about. And what keeps this from reoccurring. 100% successful.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

100% here, and my experience with my home group, anywhere from 2-3 dozen 'regulars', I only know of two 'relapses', both court-ordered folks.

I say 'relapses', one never quit drinking, the other just shows up for meetings so they can look good for their probation, doesn't work the steps, you get the idea.

Only know of one regular that relapsed, it damn near killed him but he made it back, he had 8 years at the time of his relapse, think he has about a year and a half now.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It's not just the AA rates. Recovery rates in general are poor. Alcoholism is kind of a lifestyle I think for a lot of people. Not everyone really wants the alternative. I mean they might go through the motions but as you probably know.. you have to REALLY REALLY want it.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would say don't pay any attention to the statistics. Too subjective.

I would be curious to what SR's statistics are

I know since joining in July, I have seen people come and go (much like they do in AA perhaps), it's disturbing in the extreme when regular posters just disappear. It's only happened a couple of times in my brief experience. But by and large I think SR does a pretty good job. One thing to consider, there is no court ordering people to join SR...everyone who comes here does so because on some level they want to get sober.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree it is simply untestable. Too many variables and varying factors.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

k
Old 01-14-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

100% succesful for me too so far, but I also work a program of action and I try to stay as willing to follow direction as possible.

It's not only that we are sober, it's also that we live happy, purposeful lives and AA has lived up to it's promise and then some, again, so far as I keep doing the work and keep taking the next action.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Biffo View Post
k
Welcome Biffo.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I read an article once that said 95.765% of the time statistics are made up on the spot...