Notices

Severe Cold = Cravings???

Old 01-13-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Severe Cold = Cravings???

Hey all... For the past week I have had a very bad cold. Fever, runny nose, bad cough, sweating at night, loosing my voice, sore throat, etc.... I can feel my body wanting a cure. For me in the past, the cure has been alcohol. I'm not going to drink, but damn I want to feel good again. Since I've quit drinking I have felt in better health much more often than not.

I just feel like I'm never going to feel good again and my body wants to cure that by drinking. I know that drinking will not make this better I just find it amazing how my disease will look for any way "in the door". As soon as my guard is down, my disease pops its ugly head up and wants to come out and play. I know it will pass and it will get better. I am just having a tough few days and want relief as soon as possible...
Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Reggie!

I was constantly sick the first 3 months...I think my body was in complete shock...but its been better lately. When I quit I thought everything would "snap" be good...I'm learning patience but its not happening as fast as I would like
Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Being sick used to be a trigger for me too. Good for you for realising that Reggie

D
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Same thing happened to me too. The first few times I got sick, I wanted to drink very badly.

I think it's a simple as you're feeling different (sick) and that in itself is a trigger b/c you want to feel more. Just like when we used to drink, we wanted to feel not sober and wanted more and more and more.

Do whatever it takes to stay sober. Whatever you gotta do.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Dee and Kjell, if I got sick vodka and OJ was medicine to me. I also was sick a lot when I first quit drinking, I have no idea why.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's good to see that I'm not alone in this (misery loves company right?). It really does help me to see that you guys have been through this and have gotten past it. I feel a little better today. Didn't drink! Don't plan on it either!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess that I have been really lucky. Since getting sober I have yet to be sick!! A few weeks ago I had a slight head cold for three days but that has been it. Nearly everyday I take vitamins, work out, eat healthy and did not treat my body like that when I was drinking all the time. Maybe my body is rewarding me this past year.