Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What peculiar habits have you had or still have when drinking?

Notices

What peculiar habits have you had or still have when drinking?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile What peculiar habits have you had or still have when drinking?

Hi everyone

Just wondered what strange habits people have had or have whilst drinking.

One of mine is hiding things when drunk. This could be booze, valium, TV remote control + empty food wrappers of food I have had which I dont want my husband to know about (he sorts the rubbish cos of recycling). (I am bulimic)

The only problem is I can never remember where I put these things. Currently we are still missing a bottle of bacardi & 50 valium.

Another habit my husband & I have when we are drinking is coming up with hair brain ideas. The last one was to buy a surf kite + start surf kiting, yeah right...in our wildest dreams, we have only been in the sea once since migrating to Oz 5 yrs ago & that was for a wee, doh! Anyhow we have sold the kite now.

J xx
Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would write notes to myself regarding things I did or said as I would always forget.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was a mess...I had no habits...I live by myself with my dogs and I would only take the bottles out when I ran out of counter space in the kitchen....I shudder to think of the hell that was my life 6 montdhs ago.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jacknscoob View Post
Currently we are still missing a bottle of bacardi & 50 valium.
I'm pretty sure it's not missing... It's gone..
Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I waited till after dark to take out the trash and I was still mortified with every clink noise of the glass. What a life.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd wake up the next day and walk into a spotless kitchen and think "what the hell happened here?" Then my wife would thank me for cleaning up.

Now I realize that I did that because I was so wasted that I didn't want to face my kids. So I'd kind of hide in the kitchen after dinner and the only thing I could do to keep busy was clean.

Wasn't all good though. Some days I'd wake up to a demolished kitchen and think the same thing, "what the hell happened here?"
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
I waited till after dark to take out the trash and I was still mortified with every clink noise of the glass. What a life.
Did that too!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Did that too!
I'd try to arrange the recycling so that the amount of bottles in the bin wasn't easily visible from the street. You could only tell we were drunks if you walked by on the sidewalk.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can remember doing certain things while I was drunk. Weird things.

I would make weird combinations of foods and eat as much as I could. Then I would wake up and find it in my fridge and think WTF? Then I would throw it out.

Of course on many occasions (this is a big one for me) I would hide my cell phone from myself or put it in my car so that I wouldn't be tempted to drunk dial/text someone.

I would spend mornings picking up bunches of cigg butts that I threw out in my yard or out of my window.

Take trash out before I passed out.

When I drank at home I always listened to music really loud, get online and post dumb **** on FB sometimes. Then I would wake up and have to erase all of it. People must of thought I was crazy sometimes. LOL
Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys

Yes we are guilty of loud music...neighbours complained straight away. We were in the wrong & apologised, we were just celebrating our house move after 8 addresses in 3 yrs....from research drunk people appear to speak louder and their hearing ability decreases.

Re notes: when I phone my Mum in UK, approx 6pm-ish Oz time, I take as many notes that I can. For recall the following day.

J x
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The person I share my apartment with is away for a few days at a time. I would make sure that the garbage was out of the house just before he got back so he had no idea quite how much was being consumed in his absence. Obviously I wouls smell of alcohol so I would have a can of beer open next to me when he walked in the door that I would be nursing. Also if I was meeting anyone at a bar, especially lunchtime I would make sure I was there at least 15 minutes early. This would give me time to buy at least one drink before my friend arrived which I would have already had a few mouthfuls of. The idea of this was to cover up the smell of the bottle or two of whatever I had already consumed that morning/day. Very sad.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep...Shoei...bin there too.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Also, if I had to go to the hairdressers, say oh had a big party night last night.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Jack, I was like that with the dentist. Life is so much easier now without all the games and dishonesty.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Used to drink with my boss at lunch. He'd get paranoid and change his internet banking passwords and i'd call our clients. Nearly every morning he'd be locked out of his banking and I'd call clients and they'd tell me we'd spoken about the same thing the day before.
Glad that's behind me.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

MeAndOnlyMe, I did that too! In fact I'd write on the walls sometimes. My son one morning asked why there was marker all over the bathroom wall. I also used to drunk email, I was Livid when AOL discontinued their Unsend feature. Maybe I was the only one using it, lol.... I'd purchase things on ebay I didn't need, a few times I was blown away by what I bought. Ugh, I can't ever go back there.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I piled up boxes of empty wine and put all the bottles and cans together on the floor upright. What a mess. I too remember the clanking of the bottles and cans when I actually bothered to take out my trash. I lived in filth. I'm a messy person by nature, but dang was I dirty when I drank. Strange, scary mold growing over lots of things in my fridge. *shudder* And the isolation.

The nightmare is over. I hope I never go back.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You are talking about all this in the present tense Jacknscoob. Are you still drinking? Are you gonna quit? This is all amusing as far as it goes, but it only goes one direction and the next stops aren't so funny.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I honestly did nothing different when i drink, but for some reason things seemed "funner" when i did it. My day when im not at work is limited to starring at a computer screen all day. But when i would drink i would sometimes think of more things to do whilst on the computer (maybe a show i havent watched in a while, or a old game i havent played) that's pretty much it, nothing different. But when i would not drink i would just do the same, but things would be boring to me.

Games that i play and things that i do on the computer that ive been doing since i was 12 just are boring now, i dont enjoy games like i used too or the tv shows as much, i think maybe i should find new hobbies, or go outside (which i rarely do)
Old 01-14-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Driving like a headless chicken. I still do, but with less frequency, when drunk used to drive insanely and with no direction all week long, to cities I had no relatives or friends.