Notices

33 Days, Think I'm Gonna Drink

Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

33 Days, Think I'm Gonna Drink

Hi all,

If you read my previous thread, you may have noted that I'm not sure I'm an alcoholic. That I had a bad hangover that seemed to last for days that I interpreted as a withdrawl. It could have just been mental issues, I dunno.

Think I'm gonna buy a 6 pack, drink it, see how I feel in the morning, then hopefully go without wanting to drink for another 30 days. Figure that'd make it clear to me if I'm an alchie or just was a problem drinker during a sad and stressful period in my life.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe the fact that your thoughts are that a sixpack of beer is a good idea is an alcoholic thought?

Why stay sober for 33 days, then feel the need to go buy a six pack and drink? Is this an alcoholic thought? Could be. Don't know for sure...but why not do something different, stay sober, and give yourself a chance to see if you still feel strongly about drinking tomorrow.

Hold on for the night.

What if buying one six pack sets up a physical craving for more, and you wind up binge drinking for more than you are intending.

Why take the chance. What is a sixpack of beer really going to "do" for you?

Are you bored, lonely...why do you think you want to drink now? Is this a test for yourself?

I think one of the things that makes me an alcoholic is that I say I am going to stop drinking, but at some point, I drink again.

Quitting isn't the problem, starting again after I have stopped, taking that first drink after I have attempted sobriety...that is the problem...believing this time the drinking won't result in a terrible hangover for days...that is the problem...believing drinking a six beer of beer is good for me...that is the problem.

What makes me an alcoholic is that alcohol gives me a sense of ease and comfort...a "sense" of ease and comfort, although the sense of something doesn't make it true.

We drink because we like the effect it has on us...a sense of ease and comfort, ... it alters our perception of reality...it changes us, when we feel we need changing.

Why did you decide to stop drinking and why have you continued in that effort for the last 33 days? Why now has sobriety lost it's priority for you? I would be thinking about these questions, before you pick up that drink, and drink it.

SLIP Sobriety loses it's priority
Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobersaurus

Problem drinking doesn't go away, though. It will be problem drinking again. Don't drink. Stay and post, or maybe just go to sleep.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan.
Why stop at 6?
12 may be better.
Or maybe just 2...
Oh I got it!
Just drink 1.
Nah, drink the whole 6 pack.
The other five would be such a waste to leave by themselves in the fridge.

(pssst...Normal drinkers never question if they drink too much.)
lol, nor do they announce their plans to control drink for that matter
hmmm....nah, you're right
There just might be that possibility that you're normal.
(go for 12)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was never able to find that magical sixer that made me feel good the next morning. Oh well ... Darn.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha! I get the point, guys.

I get that problems are a trigger for me to drink. And yeah I suppose I'm dealing with a problem. I just had a sip and didn't like the taste. Maybe I need to think about why I ran out for the 6-pk. Maybe it's not me rewarding myself after all, I dunno.

I took my first sip as I was reading this and it tasted horrible. Maybe I should dump it out. Or save it for company. Or drink it and see if I go back into a negative pattern. I'm really not sure. I'd like to be able to have a drink @ the bar with friends, ya know?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seeleybooth View Post
Thanks for the tips guys! Day 14 and I'm actually feeling a lot better than I have in a while (I think it really was the drinkin').
Take a read through your posts Seeley. The choice to pick up that first drink or in your plan a 6 pack is on you but remember....we don't all quit drinking and look for a better life because of a simple label or term. It is because we are unhappy with the consequences of alcohol on us.

I can assure you....that when I was a social drinker many many moons ago that I didn't need to take time off or test myself with alcohol. It was a tiny piece of my life that was used once in a while on social occasions. I didn't need to buy the alcohol at home to prove what I was. When I started thinking that way......I already had a problem.

Not a good choice man but you know we are here if your 6 pack test doesn't give you the favorable ending you are looking for.

Took me a long time to get it but now that I have....man life is good.

I have never had folks say I liked you better Kim when you were drinking. No one ever has and I have never loved me more until I got began recovery.

Last edited by Kmber2010; 01-12-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm gonna keep it in the fridge for the night and think it over. Don't need to be hungover or worse in the morning. I apologize for the drama.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My vote is to dump the beer.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobersaurus

I would like to be able to have a drink with friends at a bar too. I'd also like to not act like an idiot, drive drunk, puke all over myself, and then be sick for the next two days all the while destroying my body and setting myself up for financial and social ruin. But I can't do both.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm with Veritas....toss it out...you don't need it so why keep it.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post
My vote is to dump the beer.
Yeah. Got it. Dumping now.

Sounds like proving it to myself isn't really proving anything after all. And mentioning on the board that I was doing it was displaying my guilt and second thoughts.

Dumping it out :-(
Old 01-12-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Seeley you reached out here and used your tools! Well done.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Kim and everyone.

Even if I *could* do it, what's the point in knowing? Drinking has not exactly led me anywhere positive. I threw it in the dumpster. So I wasted a few bucks. I suppose that's worth the price of not being hungover or worse tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't mean to be flippant but this sounds kinda like someone's not exactly sure they're an arsonist, so they burn down a building to check...

I did it. I absolutely did what you did. I thought if I can drink this 6 pack responsibly then I'm probably not an alcoholic.

It didn't occur to me than normal people actually don't drink whole six packs.

It certainly didn't occur to me that no matter what I managed to do with this 6 pack, I'd soon be drunk again because I'd been drunk for 20 years. And soon enough...it happened again.

I think people who sign up here tend to know, deep down, they have a problem Seeley.
A 6 pack won't prove anything either way.

If anyone really wants to prove they're an alcoholic or not - go 3 months - 6 months even without drinking. That's a real test.

glad you dumped it, Seeley

D
Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just weird that I had a powerful craving like that, since I hadn't really considered drinking this whole time. I suppose some girl is getting on my nerves, maybe that's it.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well you have to try these things for yourself...the only problem with your plan is that a lot of alcoholics can stop for 30 days at a time if there is a good enough reason...so that alone won't prove if you are an alcoholic or not...

Why don't you go to an AA meeting as well and see if you can identify with alcoholics there?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post

Why don't you go to an AA meeting as well and see if you can identify with alcoholics there?
I think the AA crowd may look down at me. I was never arrested or had other social problems related to drinking. I just personally feel I drank too much, too often, and for the wrong reasons (I drank responsibly to everything 'cept my health, ya know?)
Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think the AA crowd may look down at me. I was never arrested or had other social problems related to drinking. I just personally feel I drank too much, too often, and for the wrong reasons (I drank responsibly to everything 'cept my health, ya know?)
Hmm we have all sorts in the rooms...we have all been through various stages of alcoholism and come in at different times...

We have anything from binge drinking for 2 days once every couple of months to 24/7 drinkers...

I haven't had any of the stuff happen that you are referring to either, i thought i needed to wait for that to happen before i went for help but i was very wrong indeed:-)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think the AA crowd may look down at me.
no they wont
I was never arrested or had other social problems related to drinking.
it just hasnt happened YET
I just personally feel I drank too much, too often, and for the wrong reasons (I drank responsibly to everything 'cept my health, ya know?)
if one walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, one probably is a duck...