Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Think I'm gonna be brave, no matter the consequence.

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have mentioned before, my concern about the court approved alcohol treatment program I am attending. 4 out of the 5 first meetings was spent reintroducing ourselves because they kept changing group leaders. Letting us out 15 to 20 minutes early,cancelling group the day before NYE, yet giving us full credit for attendance. Cutting the meeting 20 minutes short to treat us to ice cream! Now, last night, our class was suppose to go from 5 to 6:30, but because our college team, the Oregon Ducks, were playing in the championship, they let us go at 5:45!!! I am a Duck fan (a sad one cuz we lost) but I reconciled myself to the fact that I was gonna have to miss most of the game because of my choice to drink and drive. When they created the law requiring dui offenders to attend treatment, I don't think this is what they had in mind! It was suggested here, that I request to switch programs for the sake of my sobriety, but I have a solid program in place despite being required to pay for and do time in this sideshow. I have been afraid to say anything because I know the people in charge have the power to keep me as long as they like. If I point things out, it may affect their job security and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that. Yet, I think I need to be brave, no matter what they do to me, for the sake of those to come. They tell us they know most everyone there just made a single isolated mistake and does not have a problem, therefore they are laid back and unstructured, getting us through the legal requirements as quickly as possible. The only ones who stay longer are those that fail their pee test and those who admit to being an alcoholic. Admitting your problem doesn't get you more intense treatment, just more of the same joke classes and twice the money. It is more likely, the majority of people arrested for dui do have a problem or are at least making a good start towards one. Instead of gearing the program towards those who just happened to make a mistake, I believe they should be providing the same education and information a person would receive if they had voluntarily checked into a rehab. Problem or not, no one should be cut loose early or forced to stay longer. If the treatment provided is unnecessary and doesn't apply, no harm done. Be quiet and go along anyways, that's what ya get for driving drunk. How much better for those who might have been afraid to admit their problem otherwise? Now I just need to figure out a wise strategy. Who do I speak to first and how to I phrase it so I am not just complaining, stepping on toes or questioning their qualifications? How far up the ladder should I start? Should I go to someone completely outside the company? Maybe the county alcohol assessor? What if they are part of it too? Maybe that's just the way it's done around here. What if I stir up a hornets nest only to find it's bigger than I thought. Maybe I should do it anonymously so I don't end up with children's services on my doorstep for a bogus investigation intended to blackmail me into being quiet. Ah, see now I'm getting all paranoid and conspiracy theory panicked haha! Okay, so I'll think on this a little longer, but any insight would be appreciated!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

All my best ...
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's probably just a money thing. In todays economy, with competing programs, they are relying on word of mouth. If they are known for being intense instead of easy, they will lose out on a lot of would be clients.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whew. That's a complicated one.

This might be crazy but have you thought about contacting the judge who sentenced you to this program? My guess is you're not going to change the system, but you might be able to change your personal circumstances.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would complete the court requirements, get all your paperwork in order showing that you have completed everything satisfactorily, and THEN complain.

The people that run this school are likely very closely related to someone in the legal system. Maybe even the judge or DA. This has happened before. You might think about contacting a reporter.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't even been sentenced yet. My next and hopefully last, court appearance is February 7th. I was given permission by the county alcohol assessor to start right away and will be given credit by the judge when he does order it. I will have less than a month left to complete by the time I even get evaluated by the assessor. The usual order is 1. judge convicts 2. Oregon law requires all convicted dui offenders to undergo a county alcohol assessment 3. alcohol assessor decides how long you must attend treatment. If you say it was a mistake, you get the standard 90 days, if you admit you are an alcoholic, the departure time from the program is left open. In either case, the assessor refers you to the court approved treatment center of your choice. In my case, I asked to go immediately, because I knew sitting around waiting would only increase my anxiety over the inevitable. After doing an internet search comparison, I thought I had chosen a program that would address my needs.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also, they did not test us all after Christmas or NYE. They are only required to test us 3 times during our 90 days. They are suppose to watch us pee and tell us not to flush after. Instead, they just took the doors off the stalls and stand out of view.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

There seems to be a tremendous amount of concern and focus on the consequences of your drinking, rather than on addressing the drinking issue itself. I would be much more supportive of you seeking ADDITIONAL treatment of what brought about this problem.....your alcoholism....than wasting time on skirting outcomes of consequences. As harsh as it sounds, the more consequence the better. Better to keep the heat cranked up until total acceptance and responsible actions are the new path.

I may be off base, but there seems to be a lot of focus on how to manipulate the outcome of your treatment, which you have deemed inappropriate. How about seeking out additional treatment, if your concern is truly on overcoming your alcoholism? The court approved treatment is not a limit on what actions you can take to treat your disorder. If that is your objective.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Our problems, we think, are of our own making." It sounds like this treatment program is a problem for you.

You got drunk, you drove, you even hand-picked the program. See where I'm going with this?

quote aabb1st
Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My experience with the courts and state alcohol programs is their going to do their way no matter what. I would just go along with whatever is laid out and then be done with it.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lushwell darling, when reading my post, it seems you may have overlooked the part where I said

"It was suggested here, that I request to switch programs for the sake of my sobriety, but I have a solid program in place despite being required to pay for and do time in this sideshow."

Besides attending these required classes, I go to Celebrate Recovery 12 step meetings twice a week, I call at least one person a day to stay on track, I come here to SR every day and I am reading an excellent book on changing the way I think and my Bible daily.

Therefore, the purpose of this post, is out of concern for those who may have a problem, but no other plan in place. How they will not have the opportunity to receive the appropriate treatment the law intended if no one speaks up. Yes, I could simply switch programs, but how is that helpful to the one's who still suffer?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keithj: the description of the program said their emphasis was on treating women with co-existing alcohol and mental/emotional issues. They said they have found that women who have experienced abuse or trauma have different needs and that is why I picked them. Once I completed my interview, all the paperwork and got into a class, I realized it wasn't anything like they advertised.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's really nice of you but I think the advice of getting through the program yourself first and then acting is probably the best. Unfortunately because you're in the program to begin with, if it comes down to your word against the program director's most people are going to believe the "expert."

In the meantime maybe you could try to identify someone in the program who seems like they really want help and invite them to one of your other meetings?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nikkle View Post
Therefore, the purpose of this post, is out of concern for those who may have a problem, but no other plan in place. How they will not have the opportunity to receive the appropriate treatment the law intended if no one speaks up. Yes, I could simply switch programs, but how is that helpful to the one's who still suffer?
At this point in your sobriety, in my not-so-humble-opinion, you should be making your sobriety your number one priority.

That program will still be around-probably-down the road, if you still feel it necessary to 'do' something about it, have at it.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nikkle,

Have you tried AA? AA can be as serious as you want to make it, you are not dependant on somebody else's whims.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, I have been to AA, it is a wonderful program. The group in my area became like family, unfortunately, one sweet older man started acting like a dirty old uncle, haha! Celebrate Recovery was offering a women only workbook step class the same night as that AA meeting, so I traded. Yes, I could add an AA meeting to my schedule if I tried, but I have 4 kids at home, live at least 10 miles from other meetings and can't drive. Easy does it!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Originally Posted by Nikkle View Post
Lushwell darling, when reading my post, it seems you may have overlooked the part where I said

"It was suggested here, that I request to switch programs for the sake of my sobriety, but I have a solid program in place despite being required to pay for and do time in this sideshow."

Besides attending these required classes, I go to Celebrate Recovery 12 step meetings twice a week, I call at least one person a day to stay on track, I come here to SR every day and I am reading an excellent book on changing the way I think and my Bible daily.

Lets clarify a few things. I am not "a darling", or "your darling". I am a sober peer, and one asset of my recovery is that I find no need to trivialize people anymore to get my point across.

While unfortunate that scheduling and staff changes may of delayed the treatment you need, or the schedule you had determined was required, it is encouraging to hear that the facility can keep you enrolled as long as necessary to address your issues. There may be powers at work here that exceed your insights. Sometimes recovery moves smoother when we trust the process. Coming to grips with our lack of control can be aggravating, but such a vital part of recovery. If that is your goal.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lushwell, addressing you as darling was meant to be lighthearted and friendly. It matters not, what my intentions were, but how you received it, so far that, I sincerely and respectfully apologize. In regards to the program, I suppose I can not expect someone else to completely understand with or without going into great detail. The class we had last night from 5 to 6:30 started 5 minutes late because people were passing around funny pictures on their cell phone. Then, we spent the next 10 minutes talking about the Ducks football game and how we would be getting out at 5:45 so we could watch it. Next, we were asked what we would like to do, as they had not prepared a topic. The counselor then took a jar off the shelf entitled "happiness within" there were slips of paper with different topics on them. We all chose one and then were suppose to go around the room discussing it. The first one said"do you have any animals"? The man talked about how he did not because he didn't have time to take care of one, then people chimed in with stories about pets they have had. The next lady's paper said "If you could have one thing, what would it be"? She said win the lottery. So we talked about how money can't buy happiness and stories of people who had won and had bad things happen to them. The next guy got a paper that said "Happiness is..." He said it was a state of mind and comes from within" (which is what the outside of the jar said). After that, it was 5:40, so the counselor had the rest of us write our names and question on a sheet of paper so we could come back to it another time. Class dismissed. Credit earned. That is about as deep as the class gets, so if this example does not illustrate to you my concern, I guess there is no point in continuing to try. God bless!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your input. I think you are right, I will wait until I have completed my requirements and had more sober time before revisiting this issue. I will also continue to develop a rapport with fellow classmates who may benefit from additional support.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You've been sober almost 40 days...congrats! I wouldn't worry about what everyone else is getting out of the mandated class...just get through it and go through your sentencing.

you can bring it up again if you still feel so inclined to do so when you are further along in your sobriety.

Can you really afford to waste your time on this issue when you have a full life and family to take care of first?...concentrate on yourself and your other program.

it sounds like a big can of worms.