Notices

Body Shape + Malnutrition

Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Body Shape + Malnutrition

Hi Guys

Just wanted to share my recent experience.

From over a year ago my body shape has gradually changed. I put my head in the sand as usual. I am also bulimic but only in the last few weeks.

Female 41 - 5ft 4.

My legs & arms have become spindly, grossly distended stomach, bum disappeared.

I was v v v worried that I had ascites. Doc said I was suffering from malnutrition. I was startled that the booze could have such a significant effect.

If I could turn back the clock...I wish I had taken more 'B' vitamins & eaten more healthily in my 20s.

I hope this post is appropriate under the guidelines.

It's just I wish what I know now...then.

Regards

J xx
Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd hope with malnutrition you can turn the clock back a little Jackn - follow your physician's advice and you should be feeling better and looking better soon

D
Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Best wishes for a sober healthier future ...
Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to be severely bulimic, and at 89 lbs looked much the same way. I bounced back, though! I can't say I'm as healthy as I want to be, but I eat when I am hungry instead of drinking or doing drugs, and I don't throw up. I look pretty healthy, though-- much better than I did when I was in my eating disorder and suffering from malnutrition-- hair and nails falling out comes next, and it's not fun. I was amenorrheic, too (no period) and all kinds of other unhealthy stuff.

Get well soon!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope you get some treatment for your bulimic condition....your vomiting will also erode your teeth enamel.

although I drank a lot for over 20 years, my heaviest drinking period was for about 3 months from last Dec. through Feb. 16....i ate almost nothing, took my vitamins sporadically, had a distended abdomen, difficulty passing water, swollen ankles....I lost almost 50% of my hair, it started falling out by the handfuls and clogging the shower and my brush.

when I got sober I also started paying serious attention to my diet/vitamins.....10 months later, my hair is about 80% back to normal, my skin and muscle tone are greatly improved and my BP is normal...i only hope it gets better with continued sobriety....i look healthy and feel 100X better physically.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Jackie
Myself,if I could turn back the clock. I wish I would have quit drinking 30 years ago. I ain't sure about B vitamins. I read a saying not long ago,maybe on this sight. I like it.
The best time to have planted a tree was 30 years ago. The next best time is today.
Fred
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

'Nevertheless' hi hope u are well, Iv not been on here in a while.

'Fandy' glad you have got alot better.

Glad the forum is here...lots to read & lots of inspiration.

Thanks

J x
Old 01-17-2011, 01:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
doing nothing

I had malnutrition with a distended belly as a result of pancreatitis caused malnutrition.

It is work to eat right.
I supplement heavily with vitamins, mostly the B's.
One positive side effect is how Niacin supplementation just plain makes me feel better.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
Hello Jackie
Myself,if I could turn back the clock. I wish I would have quit drinking 30 years ago. I ain't sure about B vitamins. I read a saying not long ago,maybe on this sight. I like it.
The best time to have planted a tree was 30 years ago. The next best time is today.
Fred
I love that one. I will have to remember that. I don't hear new ones too often anymore. But for me, that one is new.

Thanks for the new quote.