Notices

F- Life.. Pro drunk here..

Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrzmax View Post
I was able to only drink 5 and 1/2 tall boys last night, i feel fine right now. The night before that it was only 7 I normally drink 8 or 9 or 10 but never less than 6
And all that beer youre drinking is doing a job on your blood sugar levels. My mom had to wake me up this this fact myself (shes a nurse). I am not a diabetic (thankfully) but she told me if i keep drinking like i do i will certainly become one. I just want you to realize that your number one priority if your diabetes and drinking is gonna make it much much worse.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Tapering = constant withdrawal and anxiety. Being alcoholic already puts us in the tortured soul group. Why prolong the torture?

I am so sorry about your dad. NEVER easy to deal with. You will be in my thoughts..
Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I wouldn't encourage anyone to try tapering (I just think it's hard to maintain any kind of willpower for very long). However, I did cut way down a few days before quitting so that I could detox at home. But I also had managed two weeks without alcohol just the month before (with only minor symptoms), so I felt pretty safe in doing it at home.

You do know that high blood pressure can be caused by alcoholism, right? And the anxiety you talked about could be due in part to your drinking, too. You said you've were in the hospital 23 times in 2009, but you refuse to do detox..... you have to admit it does seem a little strange. Do/did any of your doctors know the full extent of your drinking?

All that aside, I think it's wonderful that you're here and wanting to get sober. I wish you all the very best.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Only drank around 4.5 till just about 5 tall boys, i will not drink my next beer till around 11PM, around 17hrs from now, wish me luck... i hope i dont cave and drink one sooner
Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Dismember

I will say along with others that I think there is a better middle ground between a self-administered taper and inpatient detox. Seeing a doctor while starting a withdrawal not only means having your health monitored for signs of complications you can't see yourself, along with the possibility of med support.

Tapering has worked, but is rarely spoken of highly since pretty much the days of WWII. It's archaic and namely because it frequently failed. It's also problematic because even a taper will lead to some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, and when you have an addict administering their own dose, well... that also tends to trouble.

Still, you've got the right end goal. Physically, psychologically, financially, etc. sobriety is likely to improve all that dramatically. Good luck, and if it starts getting bad don't be the hero.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sobersaurus

Hi Mrzmax. Being a girly alcoholic myself, I don't know much about beer. But I do know that it is terrifying to give up alcohol when you are struggling with so many other problems such as the ones you listed. Once you do though, you will find that it's a very nice feeling just knowing that you are not continuing to make things worse with drinking. Every single problem you have is made worse by drinking. The very first step you can take is to surrender to that, and then to reach out for help, which you are already doing! God blesses you and everyone here supports you.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi,
I agree with Dee74, Just do it. You have major health issues. I also don't think tapering off is a wise idea. Why not detox? You seem to want to quit. This is just my opinion. You are in my thoughts!!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

nitenurse....

Thanks for sharing and for joining us
Welcome to SR