Notices

I really need help

Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Lost In Translation

I know exactly what you mean Nacona. I have a history of overdosing on pills-whether they are prescribed to me or not as well. Be honest...ask for some kind of natural cure. You don't have to explain everything..just say you prefer to seriously not be given pills---I can't say anything----I go to appts. just to get them-not anymore...if you read what happened to me from my recent post-but..I feel like I'm a hypocrite if I give you any advice-since I should clearly be taking my own advice...but all I can say is.....good luck and I understand.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Sooooo sorry to hear, nacona - I have "episodes" (Osteoarthritis and degenerative discs) and they're incapacitating......have to spend a week or two in bed. My back went out last Christmas eve (I had 10 people coming for dinner the next day!)

My episodes seem to be related to inflamation (overdoing it one day and then it hits the next day....) What helped me most was when my doctor prescribed anti-inflamatory stuff (muscle relaxants/steriods).

I've done Chiropractic, which used to help before the arthritis got bad. I really like the idea of accupunture and I'm going to look into that heating pad, too.

Have you had an MRI?
I had an MRI in 2005 and it looked like 2 vertabrae were sitting on top of each other - the disc was barely visable. It almost always hurts, but this time was unbearable.

I went to the dr and luckily he has had back problems as well, so he told me what he does and now 80% of his back issues are gone.

He put me in a "back class" starting next week to learn about structure of the spine and then I go into "intense" physical therapy. When my back is feeling better, he said then I have to strengthen my core by doing reverse sit-ups every day. He said that he did that and now is back is virtually pain free.

He prescribed me 30 Vicodin and told me to take one every 4 hours only if needed. I took one at 5:30pm and my next dose would be right now, but I don't feel the pain, so I am going to pass. He told me to take it easy for the next 2 weeks (I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks) and if I do what he says then I can solve my back issues. I'll try anything right now - my back pain ALWAYS led me back to abusing drugs and then drinking.

If I feel that I am going to abuse the meds, then I will have my neighbor hold them for me. I do NOT want to start counting my days over again. These 91 days are SO important to me.

Thank you all for the responses. The ground glass feeling was a PERFECT description....and I can't wait to get my new heating pad....thank you all.

...AND I am going to look into acupuncture tomorrow. What a great site - all this helpful advice.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
I am sorry for your problems. I have read all the responses. I have lived with chronic pain from Osteo Arthritis for years now. It is hereditary in my family. From the OA I have lived with the 4 lower disks in my back slowly denigrating for about the last 10 years (also heredity from the OA) so ...................... I KNOW what CHRONIC PAIN is.

First be very honest with your current Dr. Then ask about seeing 1 or preferrably 2 Orthopedic Doctors/Surgeons and a NEUROLOGIST.

Ask them about ALL solutions, be it surgery, pain medication, heating pads, Tens Units, physical therapy, etc There are solutions out there for most of us. Please remember, pain medications DO NOT REMOVE ALL PAIN, they are designed to bring the pain level DOWN to a tolerable level (ie one where we can still function although in pain).

BTW I did have to have some major surgery to correct some damage from an accident in fairly early recovery. My Dr was aware of my propensity for alcohol and drugs but insisted on prescribing some 'heavy duty' pain meds, which I promptly gave to my sponsor who was willing to dispense them as prescribed to me.

One of the neat things I found in sobriety is the clear headed decisions I can make and have made for over 29 1/2 years now. You can do this.

Not sure what area of CA (I found recovery in the San Fernando Vally) you live in but there are numerous 'pain clinics' throughout the state that have and use alternatives to medications and narcotic medications. You might want to start checking some of them out also.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
29 1/2 Years??? omg that is amazing!!! I live in southern California near Big Bear. I have Kaiser insurance, I will check with them tomorrow if they cover alternative medicine. Thank you so much for your response.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

1. As others have said, be honest with doctor.

2. If you get pain meds, then hand them over to someone that you can trust to administer them in a responsible manner to you.

3. Whatever you do, don't pick up that first drink.

I am sorry that you are in pain. I hope you feel better soon and get past this stage in your life.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes, Kaiser has ;"Pain Management Clincis" but like with most HMOs you have to get a 'referral' from one of their doctors.

Please ask them.

Yes, it was 29 1/2 years on December 7th. Sweetie, although it sounds like a long time (and yes it is, lol) I have done it so far like everyone else, ONE DAY AT A TIME, making sure I am the BEST 'me' I can be TODAY. I learned in early recovery that concentrating on TODAY, and enjoying TODAY the best I could, and staying in TODAY as much as possible, I started to see just how 'full' TODAY could be.

Sending prayers and good thoughts that you fan get through this 'episode' and move on and thus be tronger when it 'flares' again.

Thank you "Artsoul". The 'ground glass' description was so very accurate!!!!!! It is a perfect description of what lower back pain feels like as the disks slowly degenerate!

Hang in there Nacono!!! You can get past this!!!!

Congrats on your 92 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 12-21-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I hope you are feeling a bit better today and don't overdue it...your doctor sounds like a wise person....the back class should help you.

I shared my old heating pad with cats last night and felt much looser today.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I hope you are feeling a bit better today and don't overdue it...your doctor sounds like a wise person....the back class should help you.

I shared my old heating pad with cats last night and felt much looser today.
Fandy - Are you going to try the heating pad that Bulldog uses? Moist heat sounds so good.

I am wondering if my memory foam mattress is contributing to my back pain. I hear that a firm mattress is good for us, but the memory foam is soooo comfortable.

I got lucky with this doctor. I had an appointment with my PCP (new to me) but we are getting so much rain here (today is day 5 of constant rain) that the fwys were moving so slowly and I couldn't get to my appt in time, so I went to urgent care and got to see this doctor.

Have you ever tried putting an electric blanket under your bottom sheet on your bed? I use one on the top, but under might be good.

I'm glad you feel looser today - take care of yourself.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Yes, Kaiser has ;"Pain Management Clincis" but like with most HMOs you have to get a 'referral' from one of their doctors.

Please ask them.

Yes, it was 29 1/2 years on December 7th. Sweetie, although it sounds like a long time (and yes it is, lol) I have done it so far like everyone else, ONE DAY AT A TIME, making sure I am the BEST 'me' I can be TODAY. I learned in early recovery that concentrating on TODAY, and enjoying TODAY the best I could, and staying in TODAY as much as possible, I started to see just how 'full' TODAY could be.

Sending prayers and good thoughts that you fan get through this 'episode' and move on and thus be tronger when it 'flares' again.

Thank you "Artsoul". The 'ground glass' description was so very accurate!!!!!! It is a perfect description of what lower back pain feels like as the disks slowly degenerate!

Hang in there Nacono!!! You can get past this!!!!

Congrats on your 92 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
It's inspirational to me that you can have back pain and yet stay sober for so long. I feel so much better emotionally today due to these posts and the hope I feel now. I am going to call Kaiser this morning. Thank you so much.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
thanks for posting this link Bulldog...(I am suffering from a round of sciatica this week...even looking at the BackTo Life gizmo available at BBB)
Sciatic pain is the absolute worst - in 2005 I had it running down my left leg for 6 solid weeks. I honestly wanted my leg amputated - the pain was so freaking bad. That's when I felt that ground glass feeling and didn't know how to explain it to the dr. (now I know what to tell them - ground glass...perfect) There was nerve damage and I limped for a few months after that. I REALLY hope yours gets better Fandy.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My nephew hurt his back about 7 months ago. He described his condition as a herniated disc. Recently he started to see a Chinese Dr. that used acupressure on his back. He said it helped a lot. Also he was wearing a back support belt, it had a little half ball thingy on it that one could pump air into the belt to adjust the support pressure. He said that was helping too.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
My nephew hurt his back about 7 months ago. He described his condition as a herniated disc. Recently he started to see a Chinese Dr. that used acupressure on his back. He said it helped a lot. Also he was wearing a back support belt, it had a little half ball thingy on it that one could pump air into the belt to adjust the support pressure. He said that was helping too.
That sounds great. A back belt would feel really good, especially today. I have to bring up several boxes from the basement as it flooded and I have to salvage what I can. My back is going to kill me tomorrow for sure, but a belt would be nice today.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nacona View Post
That sounds great. A back belt would feel really good, especially today. I have to bring up several boxes from the basement as it flooded and I have to salvage what I can. My back is going to kill me tomorrow for sure, but a belt would be nice today.
maybe you ought to bring up what's inside the boxes a little at a time so you don't aggrivate it again? make sure you lift with your legs!

Careful with the belts. i became really reliant on them when i was hurt and i lost muscle mass because the brace was giving me more support than i needed. one or 2 days for a limited amount of time is ok..i wore mine for a week at a time before i found the heating pad .
Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I actually have a Tempur-pedic "celebrity" bed...I would not trade it for anything! i have much less back pain since I bought it in 2006...

the sciatica is on the right side of the buttismo cheek, but i can still walk most of the day and I climb up and down 9 flights of stairs several times...i just think i am getting old and "creaky"..i also stand on my feet a lot (i'm in a hospital setting)..i changed to my fur-lined crocs which have a bit of bounce to them too.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

buttismo...haha
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
maybe you ought to bring up what's inside the boxes a little at a time so you don't aggrivate it again? make sure you lift with your legs!

Careful with the belts. i became really reliant on them when i was hurt and i lost muscle mass because the brace was giving me more support than i needed. one or 2 days for a limited amount of time is ok..i wore mine for a week at a time before i found the heating pad .
Thanks Bulldog - I started doing that after the first box killed me...haha Several trips to make but it's better than my back spasing out again.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Nacona you have good info and support here. I am glad you posted here.