Notices

Exhausted and using "eye openers"

Old 12-17-2010, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exhausted and using "eye openers"

This is quite the shameful post but December is my busiest work month. I'm in this cycle where I'm not sleeping well at night and having to drink in the morning get me going. My alcoholism is at the stage where drinking doesn't only act as a depressant but as a stimulant as well. I'm not a coffee drinker. Can anyone please share any personal tips for getting started in the morning? I've got the weekend off and I'm doing precious little but trying to get caught up on my sleep.

Thanks for your time
Old 12-17-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you drinking at night too? People think just because they pass out for 6 hours they had a good nights sleep. Drunk sleep was never good sleep for me. I know about "eye openers". I had a time where I would take some big pulls off the whiskey bottle to get rolling in the morning. You know what that is called? INSANITY!

I am sure drinking in the morning is not helping your sleep. I am not a coffee drinker. I prefer soda (which isn't the breakfast of champions either). Maybe try tea. Also a visit to your doctor would be a good idea. I am sure he can help you with your sleep issues, but I think we both know what the problem really is. Time to get honest with yourself and put a plug in the jug.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear your having such problems. I would drink first thing in the morning to get me going also. It really was to feel better from the night before. I'm not a coffee drinker either. Juice, tea, even soda will be better than alcohol. You can stop the madness if you want it bad enough and the proper help. I pray you find your way Mercurial. Maybe a visit to your Dr. is in order?

Best Wishes to You :ghug3
Old 12-17-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mercurial me View Post
This is quite the shameful post but December is my busiest work month. I'm in this cycle where I'm not sleeping well at night and having to drink in the morning get me going. My alcoholism is at the stage where drinking doesn't only act as a depressant but as a stimulant as well. I'm not a coffee drinker. Can anyone please share any personal tips for getting started in the morning? I've got the weekend off and I'm doing precious little but trying to get caught up on my sleep.

Thanks for your time
I have some advice. Quickly make out a will and pick out a headstone. Unless you do something about your drinking, you wil need them too soon.

Just keepin it real.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

The only thing shameful about your post is that you could be on your way to recovery right now. And that's really just a shame, not shameful.

All the advice I have is this: find some help, find something that works for you- and do it. Could be the best Christmas gift you give your family and friends, and your workplace. Imagine how productive you'd be if you came in every morning well rested and really ready to go?

Best to you- - hope you choose well and begin recovery...
Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ugh, you got me thinking about those "eye openers"... didn't do it often, but gawd... when I did, choke back the urge to regurgitate it back up, sometimes through my nose... shudder, bad memories.

Mercurial.... You don't have to live like that anymore... Come on out into the light.

Mark
Old 12-17-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yeah...it never went down smooth for me in the morning either...whether it was beer or screwdrivers or rum in coffee.

i'd always end up getting sick to my stomach and felt like a wolf ate me up and s#it me off the edge of a cliff for the rest of the day.

my advise....go get some withdrawal medication, quit the booze, eat some nutritious food and sleep your ass off. it's way better than the s#it you keep doing to yourself.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

oh mm I have been there. My worst hangovers always had me pouring first thing out of bed. Knowing my whole day was shot to sh!t as a result.

Getting started in the morning is easy if you're sleeping enough and not drinking. I don't think you need tips on getting started in the morning.

But what are you going to do about your drinking?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish I could come get you and look after you!

This is no way to live.

If work is doing this to you, is it not time to find another income/career?

Whats your plan?

xx
Old 12-17-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Apparently apples do a better job at waking you up than coffee does. Can you try an apple instead of the booze?

There's obviously a larger problem here if you're drinking in the morning to counteract a hangover from the night before. If that's what is really going on, then maybe you need a break from this cycle and get some help. This "job" seems to be killing you. Can you get into rehab somewhere and soon?
Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I don't understand....especially considering your occupation
why your eyes are not already open to the facts.

MM....you know your active alcoholism is killing you.

You are not sleeping because of the pain caused by
your extended side and belly.

Hope this is your time for serious sobreity.....
Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I spent years waking up with 'heartstarters'.
I haven't needed to for the last 4 years.

I know which way is best.

I hope you decide to do something soon, MM.

D
Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mercurial I hope for you every day. Please do whatever it takes to stop this. I will be praying for you- something I don't do often.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Orange juice
Old 12-17-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I was doing the 'eye opener' deal in the latter stages of my addiction. Problem with that was I was crossed eyed drunk before noon. Best to keep working on your recovery. Because I found out that I regained a good bit of vigor for living life as a sober person.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
High on Life

Stop drinking at night and your mornings will soon fall into place. Simple solution, but a difficult step to take.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarah78 View Post

It's true, the only thing you can do is quit drinking, that's it. I hope you do, because your body needs you too!!

What about rehab?
Wondering about rehab, too. It sounds like you've been battling this for years, and need to quit, or else you won't see 40. Work is not going to matter a lot then.

Do you need a referral for rehab in Canada? It sounds like your doctors have blown you off a lot, which is too bad. If you need their help, you've got to make them listen. Or shop around until you find a doctor who will take your disease seriously.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How about taking a hot shower or a cold one? That usually always gets me going in the morning.

Or how about a nice jog/walk or even go to the gym before you start working. That will absolutely get you going.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Ugh. I relate to the "eye openers." They usually ended with me being drunk by the afternoon. I remember shaking so bad in the morning that I justified i HAD to have a few to physically function. My morning routine often included looking for my wallet, keys, feeling my face for bruises ect...
Old 12-17-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I sometimes would do that too, lately I've been blending up fruit smoothies & guzzling sugar free red bull. Its not perfect I guess but it's something. It's also really hard to get a good rest with alcohol in your body. Maybe if you are getting some more real rest it might be easier for you.
Dont feel shame, you arent alone.