Notices

Booze temptations and turnoffs

Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Booze temptations and turnoffs

So I've realized my biggest temptation area is Trader freaking Joe's followed by every other grocery store in town. As for now I just avoid looking at the wine section whenever I go in, but it's hard, especially since it seems like everyone in front and behind of me in line is buying something. Lots of talk here about avoiding temptation, and it's kind of a bummer to realize I can't avoid it if I want to keep on eating. Any tips for hitting the grocery store without wanting to get something? I'm guessing time is probably the answer.

And alcohol turnoff -- people posting on facebook about being drunk. One, I'm not foolish enough to be drunk and talking about it on facebook, and two, reading their posts gives me all of zero desire to be drunk. So score!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I avoided going up and down any isles that contained alcohol early on. I wouldn't even risk looking at the stuff. Keeping active in your recovery program is very important to keep those temptations at bay. The good new is that it really does get better, the temptations will pass and eventually you will become neutral if you stay active in your recovery.

Hang in there!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You know what's weird...at first when I got sober, simply driving by the convenience store where I bought my chardonnay and cigs every night, which happens to be next door to my office, would cause me to shudder involuntarily. Then if I happened to be in a convenience or small grocery store, I would shudder just walking past the wine. I still shudder if I smell wine on people's breath. I can't help it.

Does the shuddering mean I'm repulsed by or drawn to it? In my mind, I have no desire to drink. Maybe my body feels differently. Luckily I live in a state where grocery stores aren't allowed to sell alcohol.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am also grateful to live in a former puritanical state...no wine at the grocery, much less the corner 7-11. No alcohol sold after 9 pm or on Sundays. Moving back to CT from VA the blue laws were actually a consideration...I figured it would be easier to get and stay sober here where there is less temptation.

Grateful...the smell of alcohol on a persons breath is repugnant to me as well...I am very grateful about that:-)
Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by nvrbeentospain View Post
Lots of talk here about avoiding temptation, and it's kind of a bummer to realize I can't avoid it if I want to keep on eating. Any tips for hitting the grocery store without wanting to get something? I'm guessing time is probably the answer

Maybe time will help but from what I've heard from everyone who's relapsed is that with just time, all that comes is more temptation. There's a big difference between getting recovered and trigger monitoring/not drinking. Don't sell yourself short by just trying the latter.

Recovery.....living life, needs to be everything and more than life was when we were partying and drinking - and that should be able to include grocery shopping. Besides, I know me...... I won't be able to avoid every "trigger" for the rest of my life. Sooner or later I'd stumble.

I dunno, maybe that stuff does go away for some.....in time. It still seems more logical to put into practice a plan/path of recovery that will simply remove the compulsions.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Shop with a non drinking friend for awhile....
AA members often shop together in early recovery.

Me? I have no illusion that returning to alcohol
would benefit me in any way.
I love my recovered fantastic lifestyle.

Hope you continue to stay sober and healthy
Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've found that not going to certain places where I used buy my daily dose of beer has helped (gas station in one location). I also do not go to certain places that I drank. That being said it has gotten easier with time. I just stay away from certain places as I was told that this would be a good idea early on in sobriety.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know if this will help, but I bought a bottle of wine this weekend. It was for a house gift for a party I was going to. I had wanted to buy her flowers or something non-drinks related but ran out of time. I went to my old package store and while they were ringing me up, they asked if I had moved since they didn't see me anymore. It felt really nice to be able to tell them that I had quit drinking. I guess my point is, that it is possible to get to a point where even purchasing alcohol is doable...I would not suggest doing this until you are comfortable with it though:-)
Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thoughts. It's nice to know I might progress to a point where I can even buy booze and not have it be a trigger.

On a good note, though, went to the grocery store today and didn't even think about getting a bottle of wine.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=

And alcohol turnoff -- people posting on facebook about being drunk. One, I'm not foolish enough to be drunk and talking about it on facebook, and two, reading their posts gives me all of zero desire to be drunk. So score![/QUOTE]

Yeah I have friends of facebook that still make posts about being drunk and it turns me off as well so I can relate.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

My best recommendation would be to just remember why you dont want to drink anymore. Just remember all the crap you did during your drinking, people you hurt, the embarrassment you may have gone through, and the feeling like someone chewed you up and spit you out the day after drinking. I know I hurt a lot of people I love, put myself through a lot of embarrassment and my hangovers were bad. I got to the point that I had to drink the two warm beers that i left on my nightstand the night before. If I didn't drink those two beers I couldn't get out of bed to take a shower, if I was even going to shower, and to function throughout the day. Those are the things I remember if I get tempted. Once you get some recovery under your belt those temptations and cravings will go away, that's just one of the wonderful things about recovery.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've got a turnoff.... the website - textsfromlastnight.com. IMO dumb macho fraternity humor. I'm sure if I were 19 again and had the mind of a 12 year old I might find them amusing, but to me it reinforces how silly the drinking culture really is.

noticed it's always the "lightweights" that brag about how much they can drink? Before finding sobriety I would have yearly get together's with my college freinds and it was the same group that would talk about how much they could drink. They'd pound a few beers and start acting crazy. Meanwhile, Reggie's in the background drinking straight Jager with a whiskey and coke as a freaking chaser... And not only drank when out, but then came home and drank more while the guys who were bragging were throwing up...

I don't want that life back. I'm perfectly OK letting them brag and I'll keep my sobreity thank you... Good topic!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was in line with my wife at a grocery store last week, an upscale chain, like Trader Joe's... and all the different brands seasonal microbrews were stacked all around us... It no longer triggers me nor does still get the self pity machine started... and my wife is a one white wine spritzer a day woman, never touches beer, mixed drinks... well, anyway, she starts admiring the artwork, the different brands... pointing out the nice home and hearth holiday scenes...

I used to avoid this particular grocery store early on... one of the indicators of progress for me was that it makes absolutely no difference to me anymore what they stack in the aisles... but when I am standing in line, hungry, a little tired from a long day, irritated that they only have one checker on duty... well... stopping to admire beer labels is pretty low on the list of my preferred activities...

My wife, God bless her, is pretty clueless about all of this, she's not alcoholic.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Here in Colorado, it's illegal to sell liquor at a grocery store, or convenience store other than "3.2" (percent alcohol) beer. About 2.5 years ago, one of the grocery stores I frequent somehow got a liquor license and started selling everything from wine to vodka. It became my secret place to buy liquor and put it on my grocery bill. That really was the beginning of the end for me, and to be honest, I have only been back there 2 or 3 times since getting sober 2 years ago.. haunting memories there.

I think it just takes time to be that exposed to it and feel comfortable.. but discomfort doesn't mean you'll purchase liquor, or drink it. Speed by that section, find a new store that isn't as familiar to you, heck don't even LOOK that way when walking in the area of the store.. whatever helps, this early. It's good you're identifying some danger zones, and thinking about how to handle them.. that's very healthy!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I avoid the alcohol aisles in the grocery stores, luckily here most of them are grouped in their own location. I also use the drive-thru at the smoke shop/liquor store so I don't have to go inside. Even standing at the counter and seeing all those airplane bottles they have sitting in front of me makes me uncomfortable.