Notices

Broken like a Horse, the taming begins

Old 11-22-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broken like a Horse, the taming begins

So there I was, not the proudest of moments about two months ago. Standing in the kitchen getting ready for work my Wife came downstairs. She said she had been reading about Alcoholism after I had gone to a buzzed sleep. She wasn't angry, she cared, she wanted me to be alright and told me she understood now how difficult it is. She understood how I couldn't stop even though I knew all the reasons why I shouldn't.

It was at this moment than I began to tear up, I tried to look away. I didn't want her to see me this way. Sure, she loves it when I tear up watching a good musical performance or get touched by a heart warming moment on the TV. But cry tears of sorrow, well that's something I rarely do. Here I was on the verge and she could see it which made me want to cry even more. I muttered out the words "I can't stop" with a shudder and she said "I know". She hugged me and went back to sleep and I haven't touched a drop since.

Something clicked in me that day, a flooded engine finally turning over, damp timber catching fire, a wave reaching its crest and crashing to shore. I had reached the breaking point. Now I just don't see beer the same way I used to, after that day I have never looked fondly at it again. It hurt me that day in ways I never thought it would.

A year back it brought me fear, six months ago it brought me anger and now it had brought me shame.

I noticed today as I got home hungry that I hadn't thought at all about beer and I had grabbed and started drinking juice before I even realized. I almost don't notice the candy like signs in the windows of the stores as I drive by anymore.

Something has changed, something inevitable, something wonderful.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a beautiful story! It speaks to the strength of your marriage and the strength of your character. I really hope you maintain your sobriety! This is a great place to get support.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
So there I was, not the proudest of moments about two months ago. Standing in the kitchen getting ready for work my Wife came downstairs. She said she had been reading about Alcoholism after I had gone to a buzzed sleep. She wasn't angry, she cared, she wanted me to be alright and told me she understood now how difficult it is. She understood how I couldn't stop even though I knew all the reasons why I shouldn't.

It was at this moment than I began to tear up, I tried to look away. I didn't want her to see me this way. Sure, she loves it when I tear up watching a good musical performance or get touched by a heart warming moment on the TV. But cry tears of sorrow, well that's something I rarely do. Here I was on the verge and she could see it which made me want to cry even more. I muttered out the words "I can't stop" with a shudder and she said "I know". She hugged me and went back to sleep and I haven't touched a drop since.

Something clicked in me that day, a flooded engine finally turning over, damp timber catching fire, a wave reaching its crest and crashing to shore. I had reached the breaking point. Now I just don't see beer the same way I used to, after that day I have never looked fondly at it again. It hurt me that day in ways I never thought it would.

A year back it brought me fear, six months ago it brought me anger and now it had brought me shame.

I noticed today as I got home hungry that I hadn't thought at all about beer and I had grabbed and started drinking juice before I even realized. I almost don't notice the candy like signs in the windows of the stores as I drive by anymore.

Something has changed, something inevitable, something wonderful.
this is awesome
Old 11-22-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are continueing to move forward.....
Old 11-22-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post Sudz, very similar story here...except it all broke just 11 days ago. Congrats on your success.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Oh that gave me chills. You are an inspiration to me!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice share. Thanx.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sudz,

Great post. It reminds me that I have not stopped drinking just because I don't want to "go back there," but because I don't want to give up what I have--a wonderful marriage, great job, good friends, and the relief that comes with knowing I never have to drink again (even if I want to).
Old 11-23-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

She hugged me and went back to sleep and I haven't touched a drop since
I am happy for you.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

See I just knew their were compassionate nice men! I married Thumper. Divorced now thank god. This renews my faith in mankind!! Nice Share. Really..really..nice share. thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

A beautiful piece of writing, Sudz - thanks for the highlight of my evening!