Notices

Day 1

Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi everyone. I have been looking at this site for quite a while now and finally decided to share my story. For the past six months I have had numerous day 1,2,3 etc. I even made it to day 4 once. I guess I was stupid enough to think I could do this alone. I now realize that I can't and I need help. I really don't know how I got to this point. I have a good job, great wife, two kids and still somehow alcohol has taken over my life. I guess I am what is referred to as a functioning alcoholic. Drink 4-5 nights a week after work...10-12 per night. Heavier on the weekends. I am just to the point that I am tired of living like this. I need to stop. I will be attending my first AA meeting this Sunday night. Shared all of this with my wife last night which felt really good. Thanks for letting me share and wish me luck. This is going to be a tough road for me to haul.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR coop1. You will find alot of support here. And congrats on your Day 1. Hey, you have to start somewhere and let that day 1 turn into day 2, etc etc etc.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Whatever way you choose to stop drinking, put your whole heart and soul into it because your life does depend on it.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to the sharing part of SR......

Have yoou read about de toxing from alcohol?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Please don't hestitate on getting medical assistance.

All my best to you and your family....
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Sounds awfully familiar Coop. Job, expensive vehicles, lots of friends, etc. I just didn't feel like what I thought an alcoholic felt like......
I didn't feel good though.....that was for SURE.

Just you wait my man.... you stick with those meetings, find a sponsor, work through the whole program (the 12 steps) and you won't frickin BELIEVE how good you can feel. It's a mind blower!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Coop1,

I'm happy to hear you decided to take control of your life. It will be worth it. Try not to get overwhelmed. Take it one day at a time. I found I managed much better that way. Oh, and don't listen to the alcohol trying to pull you back in it's grip. It's a liar!! You won't feel better after drinking, you won't calm a stressful day, you won't be a better Husband or Father, and you won't do better at your job. You Will eventually destroy all you love and care about. AA can be a wonderful experience of enlightenment. My Best to you!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Coop, welcome to SR good for you on making this wise choice.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This is an awesome site. Today I am really struggling with the fact that I can never have a drink again. I've never had these thoughts like this before. I just can't get my head around it. Anyone else ever feel like this?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by coop1 View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words. This is an awesome site. Today I am really struggling with the fact that I can never have a drink again. I've never had these thoughts like this before. I just can't get my head around it. Anyone else ever feel like this?
It's very overwhelming! Check out Rational Recovery's AVRT (you can google it - it's online). I find it v. helpful.

As to 'never again'... well accepting that was a turning point in my own recovery. I am learning in time that alcohol is not nearly as important as I thought it was. There is a whole world that is bigger and brighter without alcohol. Sobriety is truly satisfying in a way that drinking never was. I always thought people who said that were wild eyed AA devotees but that is not true for me (in fact I'm not in AA at all although I see nothing wrong with it).

What I mean is... sobriety is not the cult I once though it was. It's really wonderful, relaxing, fulfilling... and OH the sense of peace and ease. Like nothing I've ever experienced before, ever. May you find the same thing!

Welcome
Old 11-12-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just can't get my head around it. Anyone else ever feel like this?
Hi and welcome coop! Congrats on deciding to have a sober life and good luck on your journey! I can totally relate to what you're feeling, been a couple times that I've felt like crying just at the thought I can never enjoy a cold beer again. But then again, I've cried like a baby wanting this to end and be sober.

That feeling has passed though, it really helped me to not concentrate on the "never" part and just think about all the reasons why I didn't want to drink today.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hey coop, welcome!
I have felt your pain of thinking I'd never have a drink again. I like drinking. We ALL like drinking. We just can't. I have been working on my sobriety since August of this year, and have just started AA. I'm really glad I did. You can do it too. Don't be afraid like I was and wait months to get started.
I'm glad you're here.. You're really gonna like it
Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Coop, I think that most of us were overwhelmed with the idea of never being able to drink again, and knowing that we could no longer control our drinking. You need to know that alcoholism is a progressive disease and if you do not stop now, it will get worse.

I hope you have talked to your dr because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

I'm glad you found us!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Today I am really struggling with the fact that I can never have a drink again.
Think of it as I can't drink today. Most of us get here with the thoughts of again.

My favorite little saying

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, all we have is today, that's why we call it the present.

Take a self examination of your daily habits. You'll have to make some serious life changes to stop drinking.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome coop. This place is great for learning and sharing. There are a lot of caring people here.

Keep reading and posting if you have questions or comments. Best wishes.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! Pls keep us posted. We'd love to follow you on your journey.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, thanks again to everyone who commented. I really appreciate it. It's 5:00 here and I'm about to get off work. Can't remember a Friday where I wasn't drinking the night away. This is going to be different.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome. There are a lot of us who denied that our drinking was a problem because we were successful in many other aspects of life. I drank nightly for years and a lot of people thought I "had my xxxx together." Fortunately I managed to stop before lost my health, my job, my family . . .
Old 11-12-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Welcome to SR coop. Don't be to concerned at first it is tough, but it gets easier. You are making the best choice in wanting to stop, especially for your loved ones. I can imagine just how happy your wife was to learn of you decision. You can do it though, the journey is a great path to follow. At first I couldn't imagine living the rest of my life without alcohol. I used to tell myself "well what the **** am I going to do for fun now". Now I don't even crave it anymore, I am honestly happier now that I'm not drinking. I don't have to wake up sick and tired anymore, unless I'm honestly sick. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and I'm confident you can do it. There is only one requirement for AA membership, a desire to stop drinking. You already have that so your already on your way.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Coop - enjoy your sober Friday

D