Notices

What does an alcoholic have to do?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does an alcoholic have to do?

First off, I take full responsibility for my alcoholism. I'm not trying to get any medical advice off this thread either as I realize that is not something endorsed by this site.

So I go and see my doc again today. He looks at my latest round of blood tests and is very pleased to see my various levels (GGT, Ferratin) have decreased. I told him that I didn't have a drink for x15 days leading up to those results but I honestly doubted that my blood test results would be as flattering if they were taken today.

He just smiled at me and told me I was a "worry-wart" and offered to prescribe me another SRII (Seratonin Inhihibitors) ala Paxil, Cymbalta, Cipralex, etc. Those pills don't work for me. They make me sweat and cause sexual dysfunction which puts a krink in my current relationship with my fiance as she likes to get intimate often. Sorry for too much information but I had to give some background. I still always drink as much when I'm on those things too.

AA doesn't work for me. I appreciate that it does for millions out there and a ton of people here on SR but I have had horrible experiences with AA in my current town.

I am always totally candid with my doc about my alcoholism. I long abandoned any pride about hiding my consumption to him after my liver biopsy revealed scarring in my liver. He told me as I left the appointment today to "make sure and drive home safe" like I'm the kind of alcoholic that runs over pedestrians or plows into lamp posts. He just doesn't get it.

So here I sit again for the billionth time trying to relax and having to sleep on the left hand side of my body again tonight as my liver is so inflamed and sore. My doctor isn't worried. Why should I be, right?

I going to try private counselling. My job covers it and maybe a registered therapist will see me as more than an paranoid drunk. I've been taking milk thistle like crazy if nothing else to give me some peace of mind that it is offering some form of protection.

Thanks for listening, once again. Stay sober friends so your liver aint' the size of a football like mine feels like tonight.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

If I was worried I'd consider a second opinion. I think it's okay to be concerned about organ pain.

I think counseling would be a great thing to try, and unless you really hit a bad apple most counselors I've met are pretty non-judgmental.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mercurial me,

Do you really want to quit? For me, I wasn't able to quit until I was sure I really wanted to quit. Up until then, I was mostly about avoiding the consequences of alcohol, which , as we know, are unavoidable.

And, you know, I don't think any of us are the types who go around running people over. It can be just another consequence of drinking alcohol.

I'm glad you posted, I think about you. I know how hard it is to want to quit drinking.

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-02-2010, 11:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi! Counseling has been avhuge benefit to me...if its covered by insurance go for it! What I've found in my own experience and in talking with others is...research different approaches to counseling and interview multiple counselors to find the right one for you...there is some chemistry involved:-) for me...drinking was in jpart a reflection of self loathing. Counseling is helping me with self love. It is harder to self harm through abuse when you love yourself:-)
Old 11-03-2010, 12:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

MM.....
Here is your first post with us....over 3 years ago.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1213473

Many members have shared what they do to live sober.
Living and sober requireds abstaining from alcohol.

I certainly hope you will find counseling useful.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Recovery requires action... Its not like the mail, it doesnt just show up on its own. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

MM - I'm so sorry to hear you're drinking again.

It'll seem simplistic but my turning point was accepting that I could never drink again. It was no longer a viable option for me. Then my effort could shift from battling with alcohol to building a new life.

But that exhale. That disengaging from the battle with alcohol.... that was the pivotal point. It felt like defeat but really it was victory.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Personally, I would get a second opinion.

I'm also sorry to hear that you're still drinking.. and I'm glad you're considering counseling. Like I just posted on another thread, for me, counseling was the missing piece of my recovery puzzle, I could NOT fix myself (ha, not that I'm fixed now, but you know what I mean), I'm not qualified to.

I wouldn't trust a doctor who told me I was ok after giving me a diagnosis of cirrhosis, and knowing I was drinking again.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone.....
Posts have been removed that violated SR Rule 10

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician
This is a mandatory SR posting rule for everyone.
It's often the cause threads are closed.

I understand we all are trying to assist each other
but....what happened to you ..may actually harm another.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
High on Life

Once I accepted that drinking was no longer for me, and that I no longer had the option to drink, everything else fell into place. I too thought AA wasn't for me, but through working with a therapist and giving up on the thought of drinking, I realized that AA wasn't that bad.

I no longer feel like an outsider lookikng in, I'm a member of the group and I belong.

I hope you can make some progress with your therapist.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi MM, I also vote for getting a 2nd opinion, and keep in mind that it's going to be very difficult to accommodate "my fiance as she likes to get intimate often" when your dying from liver failure.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
mercurial me,

Do you really want to quit? For me, I wasn't able to quit until I was sure I really wanted to quit. Up until then, I was mostly about avoiding the consequences of alcohol, which , as we know, are unavoidable.

And, you know, I don't think any of us are the types who go around running people over. It can be just another consequence of drinking alcohol.

I'm glad you posted, I think about you. I know how hard it is to want to quit drinking.

Love,

Lenina
I do want to quit. It's got to the point where the side effects of my drinking are truly hellish. I realize that I can't do this on my own and I hope the lady (therapist) I start seeing on Friday can help in some way. Alcoholism is simply the only life I've know for x15 years so as stupid as it sounds I've been sticking to what I know.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
MM.....
Here is your first post with us....over 3 years ago.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1213473

Many members have shared what they do to live sober.
Living and sober requireds abstaining from alcohol.

I certainly hope you will find counseling useful.
Yes, it is beyond humiliating for me that I've been on this site for so many years and I have yet to be proactive about my alcoholism. My threads do seem to sound like a broken record.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know one thing that scared me enough was discomfort where my liver is. Yeah it's been just over two months and it mostly went away - but I use that bad thing as a stearn reminder that if I were to pick up again it will definitely get worse. I don't wanna die young. Period.

When I do go, damn it, i'm gonna be sober.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leo21 View Post
I know one thing that scared me enough was discomfort where my liver is. Yeah it's been just over two months and it mostly went away - but I use that bad thing as a stearn reminder that if I were to pick up again it will definitely get worse. I don't wanna die young. Period.

When I do go, damn it, i'm gonna be sober.
same here my liver is still playing up after about 6 weeks of abstinence, i just keep reminding myself if i pick up again, it will get worse,
sorry MM i am a little confused are you drinking again? not judging, i know its hell on earth sometimes, when the alcoholic voice wont quit pestering,
Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are still struggling Merc. Each time I have picked up, when I stopped again I have asked myself what made it happen and how I can avoid it the next time.

Only you know what buttons are being pressed that make you drink. If you can identify with your triggers you have a better chance next time of not picking up.

Don't give up, keep posting here and don't worry about worrying. I think it is the biggest thing that is ultimately going to help you.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

MM -- I agree with what others have suggested: consider a second opinion. Doctors are human beings . . . many of them are drinkers . . . and they have varying opinions not only on alcoholism but also on how to treat patients. Just saying that if I were in your shoes, and if I made my fears vulnerable to a doctor and was called a "worry-wart," I'd consider shopping around.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juliwuli View Post
same here my liver is still playing up after about 6 weeks of abstinence, i just keep reminding myself if i pick up again, it will get worse,
sorry MM i am a little confused are you drinking again? not judging, i know its hell on earth sometimes, when the alcoholic voice wont quit pestering,
Yes, I've been drinking again and I'm in this toxic spiral again. I don't like posting here when I'm off the wagon but I have to be honest. Please stay sober juliwuli for yourself
Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

mercurial,

Have you looked into SMART or Life Ring?

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

It sounds, clear as day to me, that if you want to quit and stay that way, you may have to do somethings you don't want to.

My experience in getting and staying sober is full of having to do things I don't want to do, but the beauty of it all, is now I want to do these things. Maybe the next step is when I get to say "I get to do these things".