Notices

What does an alcoholic have to do?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

All great advice here for you Merc. It took me over 5 years to get from the first time saying "I'm quitting today" to getting into sobriety and recovery with a real solid beginning.

Please don't stop trying and please don't stop posting here.

I have to agree, too, about seeking another opinion. Whether or not the doctor's medical advice is sound I obviously have no idea, but I wouldn't like to have my health concerns dismissed like it sounds yours were.

Good luck with the councelling.

Jomey
Old 11-04-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Please continue to post here even when you are drinking, that may be when you need SR most:-)
Old 11-04-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

mercurial me,

it took me well over a decade to get a solid month of sobriety. i always drank like i had another day to get better. like no matter what, my body would always heal and in the end i'd be ok.

you're running out of those days.

you keep getting reprieve after reprieve.

I really thought after your biopsy you'd start to live right, but here we are again.

there will be a day in the not so distant future where you cannot go back and undo the damage that has been done and you'll be out of chances.

you'll be yellow and sick. you'll be itching all over, you'll be bloated with severe pain. you'll have a hard time eating, you'll get terrible bruises after bumping just about anything, and then you'll start to get bleeding in your digestive tract from enlarged veins. you'll be vomiting constantly....and then you'll wish you had one more chance..one more day to do whatever it takes to stay sober but then you'll be out of luck.

then your girlfriend will be alone, your family will be devistated, and you'll be buried somewhere with everyone you knew standing around you saying how pathetic you were.

and that was your life.

i can see this as an absolute fact if you don't change.

I don't mean to be harsh to you, but i thought someone should warn you what's comiing instead of holding your hand and telling you everything is gonna be ok.

you mean alot to me. you helped me alot when i was first coming around here. you inspired me to be a rock and refuse to live on my knees to this obsession. do the same for yourself.

get the hell off your knees and fight for your life.

much love,
bulldog
Old 11-04-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

With all due respect, what exactly do you want your doctor to do? Tell you that you need to stop drinking? You already know that...
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SixStringZen View Post
With all due respect, what exactly do you want your doctor to do? Tell you that you need to stop drinking? You already know that...
I think the my problem with him is that he views me a fairly young guy who drinks just to party. I drink to ease my anxiety. I am not blaming my doc he just has the same attitude as many others. He views me as an alcoholic who just needs to put the bottle down, which is true. He doesn't view this thing as a disease.

Had my first sober day today in the last x47 day. Thanks for the posts here & your time. I live in this bubble where I don't talk to my friends, co-workers, family, girlfriend, etc. about this stuff as the guilt & shame leads me back to the bottle.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

MM....if I could have one wish for you it would be that you print out bulldogs post and carry it with you as inspiration. If you think you are too young watch "rain in my heart"...personally I could not get past Toni...she was 26.

Your life is important...save it.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
MM....if I could have one wish for you it would be that you print out bulldogs post and carry it with you as inspiration. If you think you are too young watch "rain in my heart"...personally I could not get past Toni...she was 26.

Your life is important...save it.
Thanx. I've watched "Rain in my Heart" a lot for inspiration and use it as a scare tactic to stay sober. The scare tactic effect wears off after a couple of days. I have researched in great detail what a horrible death it is to die of liver failure. Your hair falls out. Your body swells with fluid. For men, all the toxins go to their testacles and the balls swell up and that's excruciating. It's a gross and not very dignified way to die. I've actually signed up to be an organ donor as well. I hope some of my body will be salvaged for someone else. I've read notable goodbye notes from people like The Byrd's drummer (forget his name right now) who have left inspirational notes in the face of liver failure. Just trying to make it to day x2. Apologies for a less than upbeat post.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I hope you make it to day 2... you don't need to apologize for a down post...last I checked cheeriness was not a requirement here...sending positive and happy thoughts your way.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mercurial me View Post
I think the my problem with him is that he views me a fairly young guy who drinks just to party. I drink to ease my anxiety. I am not blaming my doc he just has the same attitude as many others. He views me as an alcoholic who just needs to put the bottle down, which is true. He doesn't view this thing as a disease.

Had my first sober day today in the last x47 day. Thanks for the posts here & your time. I live in this bubble where I don't talk to my friends, co-workers, family, girlfriend, etc. about this stuff as the guilt & shame leads me back to the bottle.
I've read you since I came onto this sight almost a year ago....you strike me as a good man with a bad problem...I really want to see you on top of this, brother....you deserve more...
Old 11-05-2010, 03:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
AAudrey

The leveling of pride in AA is a b**h haha and the BEST thing I ever surrendered to.

Worked for me!

Anyway, recently attended a memorial for one of our brothers who never did get that liver (transplant). Dad died same thing in 1999.

Keep Coming Back; It Works if you work it; work it; you're worth it !!!

Blessings,
Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The Easy Way to Stop Drinking: Allen Carr

I don't like AA either. Try this method it's the best book I ever read! Now stop killing yourself......STOP IT!!!! If an ******* like me can quit and get a better life then surely you deserve it....stop!

Last edited by Dee74; 11-05-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: removed commercial link
Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

The scare tactic effect wears off after a couple of days. I have researched in great detail what a horrible death it is to die of liver failure. Your hair falls out. Your body swells with fluid. For men, all the toxins go to their testacles and the balls swell up and that's excruciating. It's a gross and not very dignified way to die.Just trying to make it to day x2. Apologies for a less than upbeat post.
MM - not to be blunt, but what are you going to do about your alcoholism? Just "think" it away? Has that worked for you yet?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
MM - not to be blunt, but what are you going to do about your alcoholism? Just "think" it away? Has that worked for you yet?
I'm doing some things differently. I saw a psychologist today and although it was my first session with her it was kind of good to spill my guts to someone about what's going on and how I'm feeling. She basically got a bunch of my background info off me as it was the first meeting.

I made it through today sober again. I thought about picking up over the counter sleeping pills or a gram of weed after work to try and take the edge off tonight. I didn't. Sleeping pills make me feel dopey the next day & pot has always made feel feel more paranoid than mellow. I find marijuana benign compared to booze. It has little effect on me. Thank God I never tried cocaine or my heart would have gone before my liver.

My skin has been itching like crazy today and that's never accompanied my liver pain before. I'm going to try going to some open AA meetings this weekend and hopefully they won't end up with horrible consequences like the last time I went.

Wishing everyone a sober weekend and thanks so much for your support and recommendations.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good for you Merc, keep it going. Try that link with Craig Ferguson that exodus3122 posted here. Craig really puts it in perspective.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Hang in there, MM. We're all rooting for you.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm doing some things differently. I saw a psychologist today and although it was my first session with her it was kind of good to spill my guts to someone about what's going on and how I'm feeling. She basically got a bunch of my background info off me as it was the first meeting.

I made it through today sober again. I thought about picking up over the counter sleeping pills or a gram of weed after work to try and take the edge off tonight. I didn't. Sleeping pills make me feel dopey the next day & pot has always made feel feel more paranoid than mellow. I find marijuana benign compared to booze. It has little effect on me. Thank God I never tried cocaine or my heart would have gone before my liver.

My skin has been itching like crazy today and that's never accompanied my liver pain before. I'm going to try going to some open AA meetings this weekend and hopefully they won't end up with horrible consequences like the last time I went.

Wishing everyone a sober weekend and thanks so much for your support and recommendations.
my withdrawal took about a month, but i was getting off pills too. it's gonna suck. it's gonna be messy and scary, but once you power through it and this poision is out of your body for good, it never has to be like that again.

believe it or not, i rarely ever think about getting drunk. it's never anything more than a few seconds of a fleeting thought, and i used to drink around the clock. at this time next year you could be kicking this disease's ass and never craving this $hitty poision like you are now.

i drank for 20+ years. in less than a year this can be a place to come to share your hope, not to try to find some.

it does get better. it gets flat out amazing as a matter of fact.

hang in there bro... life can be wonderful again.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
my withdrawal took about a month, but i was getting off pills too. it's gonna suck. it's gonna be messy and scary, but once you power through it and this poision is out of your body for good, it never has to be like that again.

believe it or not, i rarely ever think about getting drunk. it's never anything more than a few seconds of a fleeting thought, and i used to drink around the clock. at this time next year you could be kicking this disease's ass and never craving this $hitty poision like you are now.

i drank for 20+ years. in less than a year this can be a place to come to share your hope, not to try to find some.

it does get better. it gets flat out amazing as a matter of fact.

hang in there bro... life can be wonderful again.
hey, thanks for that. Greatly appreciated. I have such little faith in the people around me sound it's great to hear that from someone I don't know.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Bulldog, that was beautiful and so true. It sucks for a while, but put your head down and just power through it. You won't ever regret it.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Great news MM!

I'm very happy for you. Let us know how it goes this weekend. I'll be doing the same too.