Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

If Your An Alcoholic, Is It Possible To Go Back To Moderate Drinking Someday?

Notices

If Your An Alcoholic, Is It Possible To Go Back To Moderate Drinking Someday?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Fact: alcohol is toxic to the body. There are no benefits whatsoever with consuming it. yeah, yeah scientists and the world proclaim that it will help your heart to have a tiny bit each day. But guess what you can have those same benefits with a glass of 100% grape juice.
LOL LOL ...I remember when they came out with that. Two brothers I worked with were alcoholics. One of them said "see now they sayin drankin is good for ya" . I was a smart ass back then who did'nt understand his own drinking problem. I said "yea a couple of drinks a day not a liter a day ya dumb ****".LOL....I'm sure those findings justified a lot of alcoholics in continuing their drinking.

As for the OP....No you cannot "moderate"! You can die a miserable drunk one day and raise children to be drunks or you can quit....it's that simple. There are a ton of resources out there to help you. Now what's it gonna be?
Old 10-08-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I would just soon not find out.........
Old 10-08-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ys-option.html

Old 10-08-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

As I am sure you have surmised by now, it is a resounding NO from all of us. I tried on a few occasions and failed miserably every time. If you quit smoking cigarettes after smoking two packs a day do you think you could go back to one cigarette every other day? I tried that as well by the way and also failed. Once an addict, always an addict.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am not trolling. I can't believe any one would accuse me of that. I have a problem, and I'm trying to reach out and get some help, advice and support. I'm a good person. Just going through a very hard time.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm trying to reach out and get some help, advice and support.
You've been given help and advice but no one here will give you support in doing what you so desperately want to do: drinking. You cannot recover from alcoholism while drinking, no matter how infrequent.

I'm a good person. Just going through a very hard time.
I believe you, I do, but you must remember that you are not the only person going thru this hard time: your baby is going thru it too, and has no choice in the matter. You do have a choice. You can choose to nurture your baby or endanger it. It's your choice. I think you know what you have to do, you just don't want to do it, even knowing the possible consequences. I hope you make a wise and positive choice.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

thank you every one for all the advice and support. I do appreciate it. and just so every one knows. Its not like I'm doing drugs or drinking all the time during this pregnancy. i do care about this child inside of me a lot. which is why I am not getting drunk and hammered every night. I actually havn't gotton drunk in months. and I havn't even touched a drop of alcohol in 3 weeks now, and even when I did it was only like a glass of wine once a week. so, I'm not being super irresponsible. I'm trying so hard to do the right thing. I have this horrible internal battle going on inside of my head. I am a good mother, and a wife. and i am going to get a hold on this addiction, and try to get over it. I'm not quite to the point where I'm in recovery yet, the addiction is still very fresh and new to me. but I'm really trying to get some help. thanks again every one.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hmm, interesting thread.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have removed a post.

What works best here at SR IMO is sharing my experience and some constructive advise, encouraging others where I can to make good healthy choices.

Anything else is likely to be an approach more for me and my benefit than it is for the poster I'm replying to.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-09-2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: oops
Old 10-09-2010, 12:55 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have removed a post.

What works best here at SR IMO is sharing my experience and some constructive advise, encouraging others where I can to make good healthy choices.

Anything else is likely to be an approach more for me and my benefit than it is for the poster I'm replying to.

D
Amen. Thank you!!!

Last edited by Dee74; 10-09-2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: my error
Old 10-09-2010, 02:05 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi pink! I can tell how hard it is for you and what you are going through. We've all been there. You have my support such as it is:-) and I will add you to my prayers...I hope whatever needs to change for you to make this easier happens...because I know that There are two types of sobriety...the easy And good kind and the miserable kind...I so hope you find your way to the former:-)
Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

quote from pink firefly in substance abuse---- but also, for the last few months or so, I started experimenting recreationally with getting high off of DXM, The cough suppressant. Since I can't drink, i have been using this as an alternative to feel better, with out having to drink. there isn't a lot of known effects of dxm on an unborn baby. so I'm worried, cuz I have been doing this maybe once every two weeks or so, for about the last 3 months of the pregnancy. I know its wrong, and I feel so horrible and ashamed of myself. but I feel like I'm getting addicted to it now, and I don't want to use it, but I end up doing it anyway, respectfully snipped for space.

Please think about having a truthful discussion with your OB-gyn...Please continue to post here and ask for support. Are your husband and family able to help you? I hope you try to look towards the future of happiness with your children without worry of addiction.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by pinkfirefly View Post
thank you every one for all the advice and support. I do appreciate it. and just so every one knows. Its not like I'm doing drugs or drinking all the time during this pregnancy. i do care about this child inside of me a lot. which is why I am not getting drunk and hammered every night. I actually havn't gotton drunk in months. and I havn't even touched a drop of alcohol in 3 weeks now, and even when I did it was only like a glass of wine once a week. so, I'm not being super irresponsible. I'm trying so hard to do the right thing. I have this horrible internal battle going on inside of my head. I am a good mother, and a wife. and i am going to get a hold on this addiction, and try to get over it. I'm not quite to the point where I'm in recovery yet, the addiction is still very fresh and new to me. but I'm really trying to get some help. thanks again every one.

Respectfully, you're rationalizing/downplaying. Assuming you are being truthful in the other post then you are leaving our your DXM use. That is a serious, serious issue. You are in serious trouble. You have a huge problem. You desperately need help.

These are the things that get children removed from the home.

Get help TODAY.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Great thread.

I relapsed after 8 MONTHS, about 2 months ago. I really recognize what y'all are talking about with being sober means you are clearer, sharp, and don't have to obsess over alcohol.

I convinced myself that I could drink moderately, now that I had 8 months. Nope, back to just about the amounts that I was drinking. If you have 8 drinks in a night and consider that success because you didn't drink to black out, that's an alcoholic.

So I can understand TOTALLY where you are coming from, but at the same time, don't harm your family over a liquid poison. I'm doing that now, and I can't tell you how much I regret these last 2 months.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberforME View Post
Great thread.

I relapsed after 8 MONTHS, about 2 months ago. I really recognize what y'all are talking about with being sober means you are clearer, sharp, and don't have to obsess over alcohol.

I convinced myself that I could drink moderately, now that I had 8 months. Nope, back to just about the amounts that I was drinking. If you have 8 drinks in a night and consider that success because you didn't drink to black out, that's an alcoholic.

So I can understand TOTALLY where you are coming from, but at the same time, don't harm your family over a liquid poison. I'm doing that now, and I can't tell you how much I regret these last 2 months.
So there is the answer to the question! Don't even need to tell my story as alcoholics we are all the same with regard to the problem...the solution is to change enough inside to be able to live sober...until i accepted i was an alcoholic all the books, courses, treatment etc were a total waste of time because DENIAL is a very powerful thing indeed and kept me in the delusion that i was unique and no-one else was like me...so off i went again and again trying to prove that was true...almost killed me:-)
Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I hope that you get some help, pink. I'm a mother, and I can't imagine how disasterous my life, and my child's life would have been had I not got this stuff in check, for LIFE. I grew up in an alcoholic home, and bear the emotional battle wounds even still, probably will forever. You can prevent that for your children now.. I hope you find the strength to do whatever it takes to protect them. What are you willing to do?

You keep posting here that you're reaching out, don't know what to do, you want help, over and over, but all the help and guidance you need is right here, in this thread, in your Substance Abuse thread, in your first thread here too..

Here's what to do. STOP drinking, and STOP taking the cough medicine. Talk to your doctor, honestly.. about both the alcohol use, and cough medicine use (not only will they have resources for you, but it will arm them with all the information they need if God forbid there's something wrong with the baby that they need to take action on). Get a counselor, immediately. If you can't afford one, ask about sliding scales, your doctor should have good referrals for this. Walk into an AA meeting and soak up the strength, and hope for a better life that you'll get there. Get a sponsor, keep in contact with her often. Prepare yourself as best you can to give that baby a fighting chance, not only for survival, but for a beautiful, stable and loving life that only you can provide. I hope this for you.. take some action. None of us ever got well complaining about how miserable we were and doing absolutely nothing about it.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I don't think so. This is one of the first questions i asked when i first joined this site. Kinda shows us how much we want the drink. I think if we could just drink moderately we wouldn't be alcoholics in the first place. I tried after a month sober. 1 month turned 2 weeks without a drink turned in to one week which turned into a day etc.. but that's just me.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:32 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I have never seen moderation work for an alcoholic, never.
The result is the same.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Tricky one. There's probably people who can pull that off, then again, that's more like the exception to the rule. I only can speak for myself, I've been to detox the first time in my life in October 2005. The experience was pretty horrifying, started hearing "music" first then voices cussing at me. I just thought 'oh man, you better do something about that...' After that, I didn't drink for a couple of months. Well, by and by, there's the thought in your head that 'maybe, maybe, I just could have a drink and be alright, eh?'

The craving was mostly gone, so I thought "why not, I can drink safely now, just like 'in the olden times!'" Turns out I couldn't. It took me a mere couple of weeks before I went full cycle again, even missing my flight to my mother's, over the christmas holidays (which of course already had been paid, etc etc)...

There is that cautionary tale of that lady who wrote that book about how the best solution for alcoholics would be returning to moderate drinking some years ago. She did that for a while apparently only to take a ride in her SUV one day and for whatever reason did a U-turn on the freeway after imbibing a fifth of vodka. She wasn't hurt but had to do jail time since two people died when she had a front on collision there.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I feel like it would be a catch 22..
Either you try and you are off the wagon immediately..Or having 4 drinks leads to an ok night so you are comfy again..so why not 6 the next time since 4 was fine? Nothing happened on 6 why not 10?
I just don't see how it stops until you realize you are back to square one.