Notices

Just how much have you drank?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shalpin View Post
Thanks all for your replies, I hope to be posting my first week of being sober 6 days from now; I have attempted to quit before (as we all did at one point it seems, weeks/months at a time) but does it get any easier? I am hoping my cravings start to get less intense after a few months or so, but we will see ;(
I am at 60 days now sober. Has it gotten easier? I think so for sure. I am looking better which is a good sign. That in itself is a motivator. Your first week or two should be your withdraw weeks. After that it's still very strange but like everyone here says time heals. Just once you start going down the road sober just keep going whether you think it's right or not. Because you will thank yourself once your mind is thinking straight again after you fight off a desire to drink.

I wanted to drink 2 times yesterday. But I just said I'm not doing it now i feel fine.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Too much, actually It was around 8 to 10 bottles of SKYY vodka at weekly basis. Im a big man , 1,95 cm (6,5) and 120kg and my body was really tolerant with the massive amount of alcohol. After I quit, I did a full check-up test, including my liver and pancreas and miraculously everthing was fine.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
High on Life

Don't know, don't really care......enough to say I qualify
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

I couldn't give you the exact # of drinks per day, but for the last 5 years, easily at least 2 bottles of wine a day. Sometimes that and a 6-pack in between. I've drank every single day for about 16 years, with about 5 attempts to quit (never more than 3 days at a time).

This is the longest I've been sober in 16 years. No wonder I feel out of touch...
Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started out almost four years ago with one glass of wine in the afternoons "to relax". Within six months I was drinking all day, every day, and going into withdrawals upon awakening. I knew I had a problem long before I admitted it...
Old 10-06-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Enough to float a battleship.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
skg

One less than enough....
Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your replies, I hope to be posting my first week of being sober 6 days from now; I have attempted to quit before (as we all did at one point it seems, weeks/months at a time) but does it get any easier? I am hoping my cravings start to get less intense after a few months or so, but we will see ;(
The cravings do dissipate over time, but it varies among the individuals. If you have physical cravings, they only last a short amount of time. Sometimes, the mental cravings last longer.

If you get the mental craving to drink. Kill the thought and move on to a more positive and healthier thought. Don't entertain the thought and let yourself get consumed by it. This sometimes takes practice and is a process.

If you get the urge to drink and having difficulty with it, then reach out BEFORE you drink. Make a post and hopefully people will guide you through it.

Best,
Old 10-06-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I couldn't give you a number of drinks. I didn't count my alcohol intake; I counted how much alcohol was left in the house. I was afraid of running out.

Before I start giving you amounts, I'll tell you I'm a pretty small woman. I am 5'6" and 125 lbs. at normal, healthy weight.

When my drinking was already heavy, but before it careened out of control, I drank a 30 pack of beer Friday-Sunday night. I rarely drank on weeknights because I was terrified of going to work hungover.

That eventually progressed to me drinking 5-7 beers each night with a slug of something stronger at bedtime. At this point, I hated my job, so I didn't care if I went in hungover. Some days, I was so hungover, I was shaking. When the weekend came, I drank until I was in a coma. It was par-tay time.

By the end of my drinking days, I finished one 750 ml bottle of scotch each day, seven days a week. I chased it with as many beers as I could find in the house. I think I was reaching the point of no return. I had broken my nose, my ribs, and fractured my skull -- all while drunk. I puked most days, and my chest hurt all the time. I used to wet my pants and know I was doing it but not be able to stop. At this stage in my drinking, I weighed about 75 lbs. I could barely choke down a twinkie most days.

From start to finish, I drank hard for about 10 years.

Here's the thing: You don't need to drink a certain number of drinks to qualify as having a drinking problem. Usually, if you think you've got a problem, you do. My advice? Finish it while you're young before you do too much damage to your body and to your life.

I've got 13 years on you. Here's how drinking hard for years to come looks: I've ruined my life -- credit, career, relationships. My health is questionable -- I injured myself several times while drinking, and I still enjoy the benefits of those injuries. I was beautiful when I was your age, and I'm not anymore. I've lived 37 years, and have nothing to show for it. How's that for scared straight? LOL

You've got choices until you're dead. This could be a turning point for you.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think it's more mental than physical for me; I have never had the shakes. I am just so incredibly bored bored bored bored when I'm not drinking and always say to myself (whatever I may be doing) 'this would be alot more fun if I was drinking!' I miss feeling like I did 5 - 6 years ago, seems like I have to atleast have 3 or 4 drinks before feeling exactly how I did 5 - 6 years ago while not drinking; happy and alive.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Peace, No More Guilt 9/28/2010

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
i remember being 21 and drinking a 12 pack every night until i turned 30. i know i did more, but that was most of it. somewhere in there, i think about 23... i was sent to rehab and got a year. i got dumped by my girlfriend and was back to the races.

then i broke my back 5 days after i turned 30 and i started drinking liquor and beer. usually a 12 pack and then a pint of vodka or whiskey. around that time i started experimenting with painkillers and benzos.

30-37 is a literal blur. i know at the end, i was drinking almost a half gallon of VAT69 or vodka a night with enough pills to make the average person full.

the fact that i survived it is a true testament that if i can do it, anyone can. it just requires an intense willingness to never pick back up that first drink.

i know...for me...the next drink i have will be the first drink of the last bender i ever have.

there's no way in hell i could go through this again.

i hope you make it. i sure wished i had done it 14 years ago when i got the chance.

good luck,
bulldog
awww what a nice sign and a good one at that.. gotta love it..
Old 10-06-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Peace, No More Guilt 9/28/2010

Originally Posted by Juneof44 View Post
I couldn't give you the exact # of drinks per day, but for the last 5 years, easily at least 2 bottles of wine a day. Sometimes that and a 6-pack in between. I've drank every single day for about 16 years, with about 5 attempts to quit (never more than 3 days at a time).

This is the longest I've been sober in 16 years. No wonder I feel out of touch...
How long June??? I'm going on 7 days.. I tired several times too.. I did go a year once,, 3-4-5 weeks here and there.. but always months with no breaks of drinking every day..
Old 10-06-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I think it's more mental than physical for me; I have never had the shakes.
I didn't start out a shivering 75 lb. alcoholic. It took me 10 years of hard drinking to hit my lowest low. Alcohol is a sneaky mofo. It will lie and say nothing is wrong. It says a few drinks is a normal way to unwind and have fun. It says drinking is a good way to kill boredom.

Then, one day, I woke up and couldn't quit shaking. I caught myself drinking a beer with a cigarette butt in it because it was the last booze in the house, and I had to have just one more. I found myself throwing up blood. It was so shocking to realize to realize I had become that pathetic drunk.

I will concede that you may never reach that point in your drinking. You might drink hard the rest of your life, live to be 100 years old, and never experience what I did. Just remember, though, alcohol is sneaky. If you keep drinking, more likely than not, your habit will grow.

I am just so incredibly bored bored bored bored when I'm not drinking and always say to myself (whatever I may be doing) 'this would be alot more fun if I was drinking!' I miss feeling like I did 5 - 6 years ago, seems like I have to atleast have 3 or 4 drinks before feeling exactly how I did 5 - 6 years ago while not drinking; happy and alive.
I could have said these exact things before my drinking reached epic proportions. Seriously.

You asked in an earlier post about cravings. I sweated and shook the first few days with no alcohol. After that, the physical craving was over. It was all mental after that.

A big hurdle for me, though, is the boredom. For so many years, I equated not being bored with being drunk. That has been a hard mindset to shake. It's something I still work on every day, even after 2 years and 9 months. Some days are better, and some days are worse. Thankfully, I get more of the former than the latter these days. SR has helped a lot with that.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I think it's more mental than physical for me; I have never had the shakes. I am just so incredibly bored bored bored bored when I'm not drinking and always say to myself (whatever I may be doing) 'this would be alot more fun if I was drinking!' I miss feeling like I did 5 - 6 years ago, seems like I have to atleast have 3 or 4 drinks before feeling exactly how I did 5 - 6 years ago while not drinking; happy and alive.
I felt that way too....... back when alcohol was my higher power.......back when alcohol was what I worshiped. -and no, back then, I would have sworn up and down (and believed it too) that I WASN'T worshiping alcohol and that I was a MUCH higher power than booze. lol.....boy, was I WRONG.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
OSSSU!

I know one thing for a fact.....women CANNOT drink like men. It affects them sooner and harder, no matter what people may think....My drinking progressed very quickly and I was blacking out every single time I drank....The last blackout was me crashing my face into the windshield of my car and breaking 4 or 5 ribs.
I haven't had a drink since the age of 23, I'm now 44...Thank God!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Too much

Enough to say - too much.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'll try and roughly outline the progress of my drinking for you.

13: First Beer.
16-17: Trashed, 1-2 times per month.
17-19: Trashed, 1-2 times per week.
19-20: Trashed, 2-3 times per week.
20-21: Trashed, 2-3 times per week.
21-22: Trashed, 4-6 times per week.
22-23: Trashed, 1-3 times per day.
23- 8/18/10: Trashed, 24/7. Drink at 8am after work, get drunk, fall asleep. Wake up around 2pm, get drunk, fall asleep. Wake up around 8pm, get drunk fall asleep. Wake up around 2am, get drunk fall asleep. Wake up, goto liquor store, repeat process.

Today: Sober as a priest on Sunday.