Notices

Court-ordered Rehab

Old 09-29-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Court-ordered Rehab

Under what circumstances would one be in the positon of a "court-ordered Rehab?"

Please post, anyone with experience/knowledge. There is an important reason I am asking.

Thanks,

O
Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A judge has considerable leeway to make these types of decisions, at least until mandatory minimums kick in. There is really no way to tell what happened, unless you look it up. This is likely a public record.

What is your important reason for asking?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The court could order rehab for a number of reasons: as a condition to custody and visitation of children, as a condition of probation, as a condition of a pretrial diversionary program. A parole board could order it as a condition of parole.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

THanks for the responses... I dont want to share why I am asking...

Has anyone here (I'd imagine), had court-ordered Rehab? It can come about after some kind of DUI, right?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It can. An attorney can petition the court for court-ordered rehab in lieu of jail time or other sentencing. It is entirely up to the Judge whether or not to grant it. It isn't usually necessary for the first DUI, but mostly if one is a repeat offender.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'd add that an order for actual REHAB (as opposed to outpatient treatment) is likely to be ordered only where prior outpatient treatment hasn't been effective, or where the problem is so severe that, in the court's judgment, inpatient treatment is necessary.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had court ordered rehab. It was for a DUI, and before you go they give you an evaluation. I could have lied to get the minimum amount, but I was totally honest and got intensive outpatient rehab. I am happy I was honest because really needed help.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Overcomer...I'm usually on the other forum, but I thought I'd pop over to this one for some reason and I saw your thread. My XADFH had court ordered rehab in lieu of gaol. He had violated an AVO his neighbour had taken out on him during a drinking episode (it wasn't the first time he'd violated AVO's and it wasn't the last) Anyway, he did well in rehab, served his court ordered four months and on the day of 'graduation', he moved to the halfway house. That same night, he got on the grog again, in the halfway house, became abusive and was asked to leave. Then the director of the rehab facility rang me and asked me what he should do, as my X had driven away drunk after driving over the fence as he was leaving the premises!!!!! I told him "Call the police"!!! That is a TRUE story and one I still shake my head at!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

This may have nothing to do with why you asked, but I'll throw this out there. Court-ordered rehab is still the financial responsibility of the person who goes. Sometimes financial assistance is available, but usually no more than there would be for non-court-ordered treatment.