Notices

Are A.A. Meetings..

Old 09-18-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Are A.A. Meetings..

Worthwhile to You? do you get anything out of them? i just got back from a good 10am meeting this morning.. nothing special (just good) had i not gone my mood would surely not be as good as it is right Now! i enjoy the fellowship.. what say you?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always feel better after a meeting!

Last week went to one and heard all about doggies and children of the members...grateful to not be insane anymore...

Yesterday went to strong meeting with 5 of the 12 in the meetings having 15+ years sobriety each...grateful to have AA, the steps and God in my life...
Old 09-18-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've regularlly attended meetings since '84
Yes! I find them vital for my well being.

I have no plans to stop going to AA.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

For me the biggest attraction of AA is the fellowship. I always get something out of the meetings.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't been in AA long but I find the meetings very helpful.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Mine last night was awesome.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The Honest Sharing is what i like best.. you just never know who is going to say something you need to hear!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree about the honest sharing, it's great. My favorite meeting is a Sunday night "men's only" meeting. I know it's a stereotype, but men don't usually share personal feelings and emotions with other men. That's not true at this meeting.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

I haven't been to a bad meeting yet! I believe that my Higher Power that I chose to call God speaks through the people in the meeting. So I get what I need when I need it.
Grateful to be an alcoholic today.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kablume View Post
I haven't been to a bad meeting yet! I believe that my Higher Power that I chose to call God speaks through the people in the meeting. So I get what I need when I need it.
Grateful to be an alcoholic today.
i'm Grateful to be a Recovering Alcoholic today! ODAAT!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to a meeting Thursday night, after not being to a meeting for a while. It was great to see some people I haven't seen for a while, and my friends, and the welcome was heartening. The greatest part of the meeting was the guy who was chairing, was celebrating 1 year. It was really good to hear what he had to share. Matter of fact, he is my sponsee brother, we both have the same sponsor. Which I didn't know till that night.

Tomorrow morning I will be going to what use to be my home group. A woman that belongs to that group and I've know for 9 years, will be celebrating 37 years and I want to be there to support her. She has grown into a good friend of mine and my wife. Has never steered me or my wife in the wrong direction and was always there to help us.

I miss being around friends that I met in A.A. and was use to seeing a lot of them at least 5 times a week and some maybe more. I can't say that I have never been to a bad meeting because I have been to some that I wasn't too thrilled about. But I always stayed throughout the entire meeting all the time and always took from it something that I needed to hear, one way or another.

I am grateful for A.A. and the fellowship. And grateful for the 12 Steps.

Harry
Old 09-18-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I made some friends in aa which I hang out with after meetings, this is a huge
plus for me since when I drinking it was basically me and the bottle so it's
amazing to be around sober people learn from them and be social.

As for the meetings I go anytime I can but I'm getting sick of the reruns
of sharing I encounter... once in a while I hear something that I can relate
to so that piece helps and sticks in my head.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

it all hinges on how much i put in....did i try and help someone? did i seek out new-comers or folk that are struggling? was i of service? did i ask God to direct my thinking away from myself and how i could be of maximum service to others....how open-minded,honest and willing was i?
Old 09-18-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
High on Life

Some meetings are better than others......
Old 09-18-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
Some meetings are better than others......
That is very true IMHO.. i have heard it said that i may only Need 1 meeting a week to help keep me sober.. however, i may not get what i need at Every meeting! so if i make 3-4 the odds improve that i will get what i need..
Old 09-18-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been trying to go back. I had a member blab too much personal stuff I shared outside of the meeting and it was rather devastating. It is supposed to be a safe place and I'm sure it is as long as confidentiality isn't breached, imho.

I'm certainly not dogging AA though, it works for millions and has saved millions
Old 09-18-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mercurial me View Post
I've been trying to go back. I had a member blab too much personal stuff I shared outside of the meeting and it was rather devastating. It is supposed to be a safe place and I'm sure it is as long as confidentiality isn't breached, imho.

I'm certainly not dogging AA though, it works for millions and has saved millions
Sorry to hear this.. you do have to be Careful who you tell what as not everyone is trustworthy in the fellowship.. don't quit trying!
Old 09-18-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I always feel better after a meeting and it carries me though the remainder of my day. Some meetings hit on topics that I get more out of but all are worthwhile. Although I've only been going for 3 weeks. So right now what I am putting in is going, keeping an open mind, sharing and listening hard to what others share. What I really like is that I know there is so much to come for me when the time is right, i.e., the steps, working with my sponsor. So I now see AA as not so much as a means to an end but a process of growth that I am opening my life to. One or two shots at meetings is not giving yourself or AA - a fair chance - if you are new to this. And it is well worth a fair chance given the life changing benefits one can get from AA.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by SweetCityWoman View Post
I always feel better after a meeting and it carries me though the remainder of my day. Some meetings hit on topics that I get more out of but all are worthwhile. Although I've only been going for 3 weeks. So right now what I am putting in is going, keeping an open mind, sharing and listening hard to what others share. What I really like is that I know there is so much to come for me when the time is right, i.e., the steps, working with my sponsor. So I now see AA as not so much as a means to an end but a process of growth that I am opening my life to. One or two shots at meetings is not giving yourself or AA - a fair chance - if you are new to this. And it is well worth a fair chance given the life changing benefits one can get from AA.
SCW: You Nailed it right there!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
oak

I'm glad they help so many people. I attended AA ten years ago and had a more positive view of meetings. I expected to like it again but had a hard time finding meetings where I felt like I fit in or felt were helpful for what I need right now. (I lived somewhere else ten years ago.) Anyway- I have mostly decided to try other recovery options right now. And maybe occasionally attend the one set of AA meetings that I enjoyed.

If it works for you, I'm happy for you.