Notices

Is this the right place?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Phormer Drunk since AVRT

Is this the right place?

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here...trying to detox by tapering off the alcohol. Been 2 days now. I've been drinking daily for 6 years. Mostly wine but also lately the hard stuff...don't know if I'm doing it right but I am determined. SR has been a Godsend for me. I hope this is the right forum to be posting. Let me know if it's not. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you're in the right place. Welcome to the tribe. You've already passed the initiation.

Are you using medical help for your detox? A lot of folks on SR are going to suggest that to you.

Stay hydrated, and, if you know something's wrong, please go to the hospital.

:ghug3
Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Phormer Drunk since AVRT

Hi Lildawg,

thought i could taper off on my own...it's saturday and I can't see my doctor until later next week. I feel if I don't try now, I will lose the resolve by next week.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

Most of us were unable to taper off...tho many tried to.
I certinaly hope you can.....

Please don't hesitate to go to an ER or call 911 if you
have seious de tox problems.

That are sserious problems? Please read this link for
information and some of our experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Thank you for joining us....many of us are winning over alcohol
Old 09-25-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Renee, I'm a newbee to. I have not had a drink at all in five days and like you I was drinking everyday. Be strong because even as early as I am into it everyday builds my inner strength but don't try to do it alone. The people at SR have been fantastic and they will help you through to that doctors visit. Jsut keep talking even if you think you are babbling that what I am doing it feels great and believe me everyone understands.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

angelnz...
Good to see you too....Welcome
Old 09-25-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Phormer Drunk since AVRT

Thanks Carol,

I've read a lot in the SR forum about quitting and what to expect. I have a 5 year old and cannot risk being unable to take care of him b/c of withdrawls. Two weeks ago I had to not drink for almost 48 hours and I started hearing things. Hence I'm trying to taper off. I don't have a few days to be incapacitated with withdrawls. I usually only drink after he's in bed. Thank God for my very understanding husband. I will not give up.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok I think LexieCat has her tapering experience on
that thread. She was sucessful

I'll also PM her so she will notice your thread
when she is here.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Phormer Drunk since AVRT

thank you for this
Old 09-25-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Renee,

I'm glad you are seeking support and that you are determined to make this work for you.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Renee I had the most wonderful man I could ever ask for he was so understanding for a very long time but that understanding goes over time.

Please if you love him then be strong and stay away from drink. I have tapered off, tappered on and eventually realised that this is bigger than me. Don't lose your love for the drink it is a huge price to pay - I know!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, Renee,

Well, you've already gotten the speech that medical supervision is the safest way to go, but if you are determined to "taper" here's what I did.

For three days I had only ONE drink (that would be an ounce and a half of liquor, one regular-sized beer, or one five-ounce glass of wine) every four hours. I treated it like a dose of medicine--one every four hours. I sipped them slowly, so each one took about an hour to consume.

The second day I measured out what I would need for the next day and poured out all the rest of the alcohol in the house--any bottles of wine, any bottles of booze, etc. Gathered any empties and put them ALL outside (the empties smell and you don't need the smell).

I planned which drink would be my last, drank it as I would medicine (again), with no ceremony, no regrets. When it was finished, I made myself a couple of cups of soothing herbal tea.

The next day, I made sure I drank LOTS of fresh, cold water. I had juice and ate "comfort food"--soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. Multivitamins and extra B-complex vitamins were also important. I felt a little fuzzy and uncomfortable, my sleep was messed up for a bit, I felt a little shaky and sick, but overall it was pretty uneventful.

The day after my last drink I went to my first AA meeting. That was equally critical to me. I went to 90 meetings in 90 days, which isn't a rule, but it's a good idea to devote a lot of time to your recovery in the beginning.

It's very important, though, if you have any scary symptoms, that you not hesitate to call 911.

Good luck!!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Phormer Drunk since AVRT

Thank you Lexie...it sounds very close to what I am doing. I've been drinking for about 5 years every day (evening) wine and some hard stuff. Did you drink more or less the same when you tapered off? Thank you so much for this, I really feel like this is possible. I'm planning to go immediately to an AA meeting after my last drink.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I was able to taper down once and I drank as Lexie said, only stretched it out over three or four days and drank less each day - more time between drinks and less alcohol in each drink. It worked for me - but just that one time. The other times I tried tapering I just went right back to drinking too much, too fast. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I was drinking EVERY day, and ALL DAY on weekends. Scotch and soda or vodka and juice. Usually three to seven per night during the week and nine to fifteen per day on the weekend. I had physical withdrawals during the day on weekdays.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Phormer Drunk since AVRT

Wow Lexie, thank you...I feel like that kind of drinking was just around the corner for me. I've been increasing the vodka and brandy for months now. The fact that you were able to taper off like you did gives me a lot of hope. I have to be able to take care of my son and not be experiencing severe withdrawls. I wish I could take a week off, hide and detox but this sounds like the next best thing. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Renee

I wish you the best, but I don't encourage tapering - it certainly didn't work for me, and I tried dozens of times.

If you're that worried about stopping and detox I think medical supervision is a sensible idea.

I don't encourage home detox either. I'm still dealing with issues from my last unsupervised home detox in 07.

Please do heed Carols advice and seek medical attention if you think you need it.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 09-25-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added