Notices

Celebrity addiction

Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrity addiction

Do all the reports about celebrities successes and failures with addiction have an impact on you?

I was just reading this about how a super bowl champion player from my favorite NFL team went to prison on drug charges after decades of use starting at age 13 but now he is out and clean.

Former Chicago Bear Mike Richardson's path from Super Bowl glory detoured to tragedy before he gained control - ESPN Chicago

It made me think about how these celebrity stories of addiction prove that what society thinks of as success in no way protects a person from the harm. In fact, in many ways it makes it harder to hit bottom. Look at Michael Jackson paying a personal doctor to keep him on whatever drug he wanted.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by joinedintime View Post
Do all the reports about celebrities successes and failures with addiction have an impact on you?

If I like the celebrity then I would say yeah their success has a little bit of an impact on me. I look at people like Robert Downey Jr and Eminem, and if they can conquer their demons why can't I????
Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Only in a general way. I'm always happy when anyone can
find anwers to their addictions......
Old 09-16-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometimes I find it inspiring. I watched a documentary in which the members of Metallica talked a good bit about their struggles with alcoholism. I really related to a lot of what they said.

I think anyone's struggle with alcoholism or drug addiction has the potential to inspire others.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They don't have an impact on my own sobriety. I do wish them all the best, no matter whether it is someone I like or not. I know all too personally how difficult it is as a "private" person. I cannot imagine being a public figure, having your addictions known all over, and then having people watch you in recovery, many hoping for failure so they can have the next story. The pressure to stay sober is hard enough, I cannot imagine having that added.

Having said that, I am always a little afraid when a celebrity or public person makes their recovery public. For example, Eminem's new CD is all about his recovery. (I actually like it, which surprises me!). All I can think is, I sure hope he stays clean now. . .that is an awfully public thing to do. . .
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My celebrity inspiration was Nicole Richie. She went from such a mess to a beautiful you woman and a wonderful parent! Being a young parent myself, it gives me the inspiration to be there for my son.

Of course, we all know who is in the public eye lately. Lindsay Lohan, Snooki, Chealsea Lately confessed to taking vicodin and ecstasy for a good time. I hope that these folks are able to follow in the footsteps of so many before them and recover.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In general, no. Celebrities and their pampered lifestyles make me want to scream. But I do admire some of ther stories, especially Nikki Sixx. He's a recovering alcoholic and heroin addict and is extremely active in the recovery community. He spoke about recovery on Capitol Hill a few years ago. But most of 'em it seems just go play golf at a 10k a day rehab for 30 days, say how blessed it is to be clean, then have their humiliating mugshot from DUI on the ten o'clock news the next week.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

it doesn't impact my own recovery or inspire me....not that i'm callous, but these people live in a completely different world, they have access to more income and resources i could never afford....they have nutritionists, trainers, private doctors and probably much less of a struggle.

(it's like Oprah dieting...every advantage and she still regains her weight)
Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
they have access to more income and resources i could never afford....they have nutritionists, trainers, private doctors and probably much less of a struggle.

(it's like Oprah dieting...every advantage and she still regains her weight)

I don't think it matters how much money you have, a struggle is a struggle. Drug and alcohol addiction does not discriminate.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
I don't think it matters how much money you have, a struggle is a struggle. Drug and alcohol addiction does not discriminate.
yeah, i agree end. they may have some advantages because of their money, but they still have the addiction. .. the disease. And they are in public. Trust me, never one to follow or really care about the lives of celebrities, and I don't feel sorry for them choosing to put themselves in the public eye. ..but the disease is the disease, and it sucks no matter who you are.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I remember I would look at Lindsay Lohan and console myself with the thought "well at least I'm not as bad as she is!"

Today, I just wish anyone dealing with addiction the best.

I do worry about how celebrity addicts influence young fans. Like how kids used to smoke because James Dean et al made it look glam.

You open a gossip magazine and there is Lindsay, Snooki, whoever, getting trashed, and they are famous and get amazing clothes, they rarely suffer the reprucussions of their actions and they can go to a nice cushy rehab/spa.

That makes me worry.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good point LF
And also think about how many current and past songs are about glorifying drugs and alcohol. That has to have an influence.
Of course people are going to blame songs/movies/whatever just like when someone commits suicide and the family blames Ozzie Ozbourne. What about everyone that listened to the same songs and didn't off themselves?

It's all in the eye of the beholder.
You could look at Ozzy or Keith Richards and say that they partied for decades on end and are still alive, rich and famous and I could do the same thing with my life. Or.... you could look at them and say yeah but what would they be like if their entire brain was still there?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Plenty of them wind up DEAD, the same as any of us could. I get tired of reading about their antics, OTOH, they suffer like anyone else. They have obstacles some of us don't.

Some of them will die of their disease, some will continue to embarrass themselves until they hit some kind of bottom, some will recover. Pretty much like any of us.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
skg

This is what the 11th Tradition is for: 11. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion. We need always maintain anonymity at the level of press, radio, and film.
It's my understanding that when AA was just getting started, there was a good deal of desire to have the message put out into the public eye. When the Big Book was first printed, there was an effort to gain some publicity to help fund the project--and interviews were set up with Reader's Digest and some others. Well, as drunks do, one particular interviewee showed up drunk--and tanked the effort. AAers who have worked the program for a while aren't too large on promoting the program--and that goes for these forums, too. It's the general concensus that if somebody wants to get sober, AA has a seat for them.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For all we know there could be celebrities here on SR today and/or in the past.
I'll go out on a limb and say Dennis Rodman is not here.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I feel like less of a loser when I read of someone successful who had the same trouble I do.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not really, I don't care about the news about their relationships or political ideas either...unless they are particularly bad people (e.g. Mel Gibson), then I just will try not to see their movies.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I sometimes think that Fame and Money and just being a Celebrity is an addiction in itself. They have more cash and access to treatment centers and life coaches and appointments with Dr. Drew--but having all that cash at their fingertips can kill them too. Many celebs are surrounded by "yes men" and "hanger-0ns" that enable them right into the grave!!! I pray for them just like I pray for everyone who has demons. Getting sober is hard enough, but to do it under a microscope and re-enacted by the media day after day? I wouldn't want to walk in their shoes--I'm happy in my own
Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Speaking of which Lindsay Logan has just tested positive for cocaine during probation...I don't know whether to feel bad for her or slap her silly.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
skg

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Speaking of which Lindsay Logan has just tested positive for cocaine during probation...I don't know whether to feel bad for her or slap her silly.
She's already silly. Pray that her bottom doesn't kill her...