Notices

back to sober

Old 09-13-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy back to sober

I quit for 5 1/2 years on my own. I drank heavy for 20 years before quitting. I recently went back on beer. I was sick of the boredom.
I am not ashamed. I feel like I was victorious. Thats a long time. But sober is better.
Drinking makes you feel lousy and foggy. It just doesnt work. Need to get back on track.
I will be glad to get out of this rural house and get to where there are other people. I have been totally isolated for 3 years here but didnt drink until a few months ago. I should do better in the city where there are other recovering people. If I made it 5.5 years, I can make it another 5 years. didnt get any support but stilll managed. Think I need some now though.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community Bob....

Good to see you are coming back to sobriety.

Yes on line support can be useful....
Please stay here with us.

All my best on your fresh start
Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by bob33992 View Post
... If I made it 5.5 years, I can make it another 5 years. didnt get any support but stilll managed. Think I need some now though.
I myself relapsed over a dozen times after getting into recovery and found that that it always got harder, it never got easier or even stayed the same.
I have made some friends who have been in and out of recovery longer than I have. Every last one of them say it is a progressive disease and they had to do more and more work to get re-recovered.

By declaring "I can make it another 5 years", you are already placing a glass ceiling on your recovery and setting yourself up for a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wink

Welcome bob! good to have you with us.. you can do it.. maybe give A.A. a try as well?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome! I find that posting here helps with boredom and loneliness. I hope it helps you too.

I also started drinking a few months ago after years of sobriety. Now I am on day 13 of sobriety.

I hope you like it here!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Che

Good to know you're getting sober again. I hope next time you feel bored, you don't see alcohol as the only solution. If you're bored, save up the money you would have been wasting on alcohol and go and do something interesting! Even if you just visit some museums I think you'll find it solves the bored problem more than alcohol ever can.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Bob! 5.5 years - good for you! Yes, sober is the way to go. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My favorite thing you said was..."It just doesn't work".. Boy is that true. I had a slip around a month ago and it tasted super nasty, made me gag even, gave me a headache etc. I felt like i was on 20 downers, not happy et all. It sure didn't do that when I was in my 20s!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I totally agree with Boleo.
I too was sober for over 5 years, then relasped for two days. I regret the binge and will never go back out again. So much better sober, no hangovers, smelly breath and overwhelming feeling of regret and shame.

Last edited by tallcactus; 09-14-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to drink a lot on week-ends before, especially vodka when abroad. After being hospitalized two times for a long period as half-year, where a thiamine deficiency was discovered. Being sober of smoke for 2 years, however I'm now sober for one month fro alcohol.
Living in a city, and no more in the rural town of my childhood. I remain however often with stomach acidity and prescribed pills against anxieties and a global lack of motivation.
Hope all this will get better somehow.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome bob33992
How are things today?

D
Old 09-15-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

julienP...
Welcome back to the Forums