Notices

Kind of stupid...

Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kind of stupid...

but I really like my menial, part, part time job. It helps me get some sober days (I would get more if I got more hours!) and I will totally do the jobs that nobody else wants to and that brings me happiness. I make minimum wage and bring in 400 dollars a month at best. Yesterday I scrubbed the h*** out of the bathroom which appeared to have been neglected for about a decade. It made the person who came in the next morning very happy and THAT made me happy, because that's just how I am. So, I scrubbed a bathroom- big deal. But, nobody else would, and I did- and that kind of gives me a bit of pride.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great sleepiness! Doing a God job and taking pride in what we do should always make us feel good:-)
Old 09-11-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I don't know how long you would want to do it, but it makes sense to me why you are getting something out of it, despite all of the arguments you or your friends could call up (having a degree and on and on). There is a value in bringing money out of your own efforts, and cleaning has a pride associated with it all its own. I think it takes on a new importance for some addicts too. This reminds me of an American poem (can't remember who right now) that has to do with the theme about man conquering nature or conflict itself by putting a jar on a mountain in Penn or somewhere. Something about putting the jar there meant a lot to the narrator as installing some kind of self-authored Order. Merely cleaning and earning merely minimum wage is a jar on the mountain too, especially if the person knows what rolling around in a pit of alcoholism is all about. It's creating positive change, and that's good for the soul. Whatever it takes, as they say...
Old 09-11-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well it's also darn near impossible to get a job here too. I have had much better jobs in the past and intend to get one again in the future.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it sounds to me like there's some serious sobriety goin' on inside that brain...

that first post would impress even the hardest of AA oldtimers

WELL DONE
Old 09-12-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post

... I will totally do the jobs that nobody else wants to and that brings me happiness.
When I was an OTR truck driver, I had to sometimes work for 2 -3 weeks without a day off and 2 -3 months without enough time off to get to a AA meeting.

I found that if I engaged in what others would call "contrarian thinking", I would get a sense of purpose that made me feel spiritually fit, in spite of outside circumstances.

"In God's eyes, there are no small acts of kindness"
(Mother Teresa of Calcutta)