Notices

One Week :c031:

Old 09-04-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Week :c031:

I've made it a week sober now and I'm really happy about it. So nice waking up without a hangover, especially on a Saturday!

Just taking it a day at a time right now, no alcohol in the house and not walking down the alcohol isle at the local store. I'm also trying to get rid of the romantic notions of alcohol. It's easy to fall in love with the media view of alcohol such as wine, you know when wine experts discuss fine wines or malt whisky.

Even beer adverts try and make out it's all part of a great lifestyle. I'm not saying they're wrong, or bad, or indeed it can't be part of peoples life. Just not for me, not anymore.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Last edited by soberscot; 09-04-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-04-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Thank you Scot! Have a nice weekend!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super.....
Old 09-04-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The beer adverts & the alcohol connoisseurs: You know, I think having a beer or a glass of wine or a cocktail is fun for people who can have just one. I don't even think it's bad for them unless they have some underlying health issue.

When I first quit drinking, it felt like the whole world was filled with people shoving a glass in my face: "Here, just have one!" As I got used to my new life, I saw less and less of it. Perhaps I learned to avoid those situations. You'll get your sea legs. Like anything else, it just takes time.

Congratulations on the one week. You're doing great. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The ads don't "get to" me. I just look at them as advertising a product irrelevant to me. I don't drink, so I don't care what brand they're advertising.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

The ads dont get to me either. My biggest trigger is memories of when I used to be able to kick back with just a few and get that happy buzz. I wish I could remember at what point I switched over and into a problem drinker.
Good for you Scot. Keep up the good work, and turn off the darn tv!!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

I've no problem with the advertisements, rather I'm one of these people who buy into the nice things in life. Cars, gadgets, furniture and alcohol in some sense to me is the same. It's not a big deal drinking wine if its a $30-40 bottle, or drinking a fine malt whisky until you're life revolves around being drunk all the time.

I totally get the kicking back and getting a buzz, but then you're always chasing it and you end up so damn drunk, well I don't need to tell you guys lol!!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

crazy as it sounds i used to find myself down them isles,choosing the nicest label on a wine bottle i liked...of course it had to be no less than 13% av pref 14%, mad for sure,
easily suckered in and succumbered to the visual attractions..hang in there your doing great,..
Old 09-04-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kerbcrawler View Post
crazy as it sounds i used to find myself down them isles,choosing the nicest label on a wine bottle i liked...of course it had to be no less than 13% av pref 14%, mad for sure,
easily suckered in and succumbered to the visual attractions..hang in there your doing great,..
Yep that's it lol
Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm pretty oblvious to alcohol ads and the like...the first few months were tough..once you past that, things seem to mellow out abit.... I've finally realized..I'm a non drinker!! and couldn't be happier about it!!
Congrads to you!! and welcome to the wonderful world of sober living!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey soberscot

Awesome going on your one week sober

I def found the first week the hardest - the urge to drink was still there at times

I'm on day 17 now and thats gone now (thank God)

Just dealing with all the other stuff that comes up now as part of the sober process