Notices

Sober, jobless and broke

Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by michael35209 View Post
Its now 3 months after I originally started this thread.

Ive stayed clean and sober, WHOO HOO!! Got my 6 month chip last week.

I still havnt found a "permanant job" however, thanks to all of your great idea's, I started a small carpentry business with my brother in law. Making enough to survive, and thats okay with me.

God and AA have saved my life. I love the program so much. Y'all have taught me how to live life.. Suit up and show up. My sponsor tells me that alot, lol... It's going to be awesome when I sponsor people and I can tell them that, LOL

Im very grateful for so many things in my life. From having a bed to sleep on to having toothpaste so I can brush my teeth. When my mind tries to get into pitty, Im always quick to do a long gratitude list.

Love,
MIchael
That's wonderful, from one Michael to another.
Your first post all those days ago reminds me of a section in the BB :
No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
SOOO many of the worst things I've had to endure, either as a result of my drinking days or of my ongoing manageability, have turned into blessings, in a way. No sooner did I come out the other side of something that seemed impossible to get through then someone would "show up" that was about to go through the same thing. Suddenly, all the pain and sadness that I had just endured made sense.....I was in a position to be uniquely helpful to someone else. That's a cool deal....and certainly not something I'd engineer myself.

Good and bad times come and go...that's for sure...but the payoff from the bad times (fortunately....) has proved to be the best of all. If nothing else, those tough times are a good "opportunity" to work on strengthening our faith and belief in a Higher Power.

You're on the right path Michael...keep plugging away. He's obviously got something in store for you.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Michael - I'm very happy for you
I hope the carpentry business thrives....

D
Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Though I can't completely relate to you, I can on some level. I just got a job, if you want to call it that. The pay is crap, $9.00hr which isnt crap compared to the cost of living out here in the Bay area, California. It's temporary, they said it can be as short as two weeks to as long as the beginning of January. Like that's a long time. After this I don't know what I'm gonna do. But in either case I'm still broke. I'm sorry for your situation. With the economic climate being the way it is I know that jobs are few and far between. It's especially tough being that Christmas is just around the corner. I'm not going to have enough money to buy my kids presents this year which makes me feel like crap. But we're sober right. Things could be much worse. I will definitely keep you and your wife in my prayers. I hope things pan out for you my friend. God bless you.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, Michael. I'm glad things are better for you, and I hope life continues to improve.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

That's great stuff Michael! Wishing you the best!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Michael .... I'm in my 20th year and right now going through what you have to deal with.

I guess they call it "sober reference", which you've been sober a long time and been through a lot of stuff. What I do know is that everything passes. I don't know why, but this alcoholic (and others I talk to) always think things will be terrible for always. What helps me is to increase meetings and TALK about how I feel. This is the biggest tool I've had.

Ok, here are a few last ditch things you can do to raise money (if it becomes necessary). Sell stuff on Craig's List, Ebay and Amazon. Sell gold jewelry. Put all your loose change in a big bottle (check sofas, chairs, car).

Be sure to keep busy in looking for work, raising money. Things come to us spiritually but not when we're just sitting around feeling sorry for ourselves -- it's when we're participating in our own sobriety.