Notices

Sober, jobless and broke

Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michael35209 View Post
Howdy all, Just wanted to vent a little.

I got my 90 day chip last night, and felt pretty good.
Today I woke up and reality hit me so damn hard.

My wife had brain surgery 7 months ago and hasnt worked, Ive been taking care of her. I lost my job over a year ago. I really dont know what the hell Im talking about, but, just felt the need to get it off my chest. Im really depressed tonight.

Anyhow, I dont want to drink and im working the program, doing the steps and getting results.

Guess, I just wondered if anyone can relate.

We are broke, busted and I have no idea what we are going to do. Rent is due, phone, electric, etc etc etc. Im 44 and I cant get a dang job. Ive been hitting the streets and cant find anything. It sucks.

However, I am sober and working on my sobriety. Hopefully my higher power, God, will show me the way.

Guess I wrote this hoping y'all would say a little pray for us.

Thanks,
Michael
I am truly sorry for what you are dealing with. I pray you find work soon. i have been where you are at and it is scary. Im glad you are sticking with the program and staying sober.That is one good thing you can feel good about! Prayers for you and your wife
Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by michael35209 View Post
Just last week, someone said in a meeting, becareful about the pink cloud, you could come crashing, and I thought. I have God with me and Im not going to feel bad anymore. We'll, there ya go. I still have God and it will be all great.
If I read you correctly, you're to be commended. The ppl who say "Oh, that's the pink cloud....you won't stay on that for long" are (my experience here) the ppl who have retaken charge of their own life, who don't try to trust God, who are too egocentric (or scared) to really try and let go and let God.

I truly hate hearing that in meetings. It's one of the lines that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I stole Chris R's take on that "pink cloud:" The pink cloud is the feeling of God's Grace. Weren't we promised a spiritual awakening? Weren't we promised to know a new freedom? Weren't we promised to be placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected? Weren't we told this is how we react so long as we stay in fit spiritual condition?

--So life hits....and maybe we do fall off the cloud....but WE CAN GET BACK UP ON IT....and WE CAN STAY ON IT LONGER THE NEXT TIME.

To me, it boils down to faith and patience. Typical alcoholic, I want to get back up there NOW....that doesn't always happen. I can, however, get back up there again. It may take some work, it may take some time, but getting back into the feeling and living in the grace of God IS the deal ...the whole deal IMO... of AA.

Forget comments like that.......get back up on your cloud.....God's saving plenty of room for you there.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Sometimes it's darkest before the dawn......

I had a thought; it may not be something you want to do, but since the weather will be letting up soon here in the south, working outside wouldn't be too bad. I just hired a neighbor to do some work on my flower beds/trees/etc. Lawn services don't always do that (or they charge an enormous amount). I could only pay him about $8/hr, but for two 6-hour days, it turned out to be $100. Better than nothing...!

When my ex was working through school, he cleaned up houses for realtors and even was able to sell things he found that had been left behind.

There are other "services" people need, too. I know of some elderly people who have money and hire people to help them shop, drive them around town, or pick up things for them.

I'll bet if you google "self-employment ideas" you might find all kinds of ideas
(things you could even do on the side if you got a temp job).

Someone also told me that if you have a college degree, you can substitute teach in the schools. I don't know if that's the truth, but it came to mind.

Lots of prayers coming your way, too.........:ghug3 Hang in there!!
That is a great ideal. I use to do yard work when I younger. I know a little about it. Thanks for the great Ideal,
Michael
Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberNVa View Post
I am truly sorry for what you are dealing with. I pray you find work soon. i have been where you are at and it is scary. Im glad you are sticking with the program and staying sober.That is one good thing you can feel good about! Prayers for you and your wife

Thank you so much,

MIchael
Old 09-01-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
If I read you correctly, you're to be commended. The ppl who say "Oh, that's the pink cloud....you won't stay on that for long" are (my experience here) the ppl who have retaken charge of their own life, who don't try to trust God, who are too egocentric (or scared) to really try and let go and let God.

I truly hate hearing that in meetings. It's one of the lines that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I stole Chris R's take on that "pink cloud:" The pink cloud is the feeling of God's Grace. Weren't we promised a spiritual awakening? Weren't we promised to know a new freedom? Weren't we promised to be placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected? Weren't we told this is how we react so long as we stay in fit spiritual condition?

--So life hits....and maybe we do fall off the cloud....but WE CAN GET BACK UP ON IT....and WE CAN STAY ON IT LONGER THE NEXT TIME.

To me, it boils down to faith and patience. Typical alcoholic, I want to get back up there NOW....that doesn't always happen. I can, however, get back up there again. It may take some work, it may take some time, but getting back into the feeling and living in the grace of God IS the deal ...the whole deal IMO... of AA.

Forget comments like that.......get back up on your cloud.....God's saving plenty of room for you there.
Amen, thanks so much. I needed to hear that, because thats the way I feel. I was never able to put in words like you said. I really wish the old timers wouldnt say that to us about the pink cloud. Its no negative.

Michael
Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A double amen, I've been high on a cloud since Nov7th2004 and I have fell off once or twice when life hit below the belt, but allowed to stay sober thru it all by God's Grace. His grace and my hard work, but mostly His Grace. Well I'm back on that goofy pink cloud with, or without, anyone's permission. God Bless
Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Michael
You are doing great in all areas. If we didn't experience the up and downs life would just be (fill in blank). We all go thru life and believe me it is MUCH easier sober than drinking. I'm just down the road in 35226 and work in 35209. Bham has some awesome meetings so keep it up.
I have high contacts at Enterpirse thru a work friend. PM me your info and where you applied and I'll see if my contacts can help if you like.
AG
Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You hang in there Mike. And congratulations on your sobriety. I'm a big believer that if you stay sober, go to meetings and have faith in God that things will work out.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey Mike,

Congrats on the 90 days, that's great stuff!!

Others here have given you such great ideas that there's not much I can add as far as things to do.

BTW. I have a brother that lives in the Huntsville area, lol.

When you think of all that you're facing now, it's easy to get discouraged. We think stuff like; well, I'm in recovery, no "real" company will want to hire me, I'm 44 so I'm no spring chicken, the economy stinks right now, I can't afford gas to run all around town to interviews, my education needs a refresher course (don't know your level and that's your business, not mine) and other thoughts that just keep us stuck. Remember that it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Coming here is a great start and the support is priceless. I would suggest that you list all of these suggestions on paper, or print them out, then check them off as you complete them, which helps lend some direction to your current situation. If we fail to plan, we plan to fail, and here on this page are very good suggestions to help you create a plan to deal with all these problems. And don't forget to pray, it helps when all else seems hopeless.

Remember, you can do this, and it's much easier so succeed in an interview if you're not slurring your words and looking like you're about to upchuck, lol. Don't let yourself become overwhelmed, it's easy to do and then dang hard to pull out of. And keep reaching out till someone grabs your hand.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

(((Michael))) - you've gotten some great advice, already but I wanted to send along some more hugs and prayers. It's really awesome that you have 90 days, with all you've been going through, and I'm just tickled that you have some strong support. BTW, newcomer's need to hear "I'm struggling, but I'm not drinking", too

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

Well, you are sober and this is a major plus! Don't give up!

My mom's dead and my dad had a stroke so he's living off disability (60 percent of his income and my mom had the higher paying job) and we're broke and about to lose our house and I can't get a job. It's tough but drinking DOES NOT MAKE IT BETTER OR RELIEVE ANY STRESS. Trust me.

I will pray for you.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

michael....

Please let all your AA and church members know
that you need assistance and a job.

I moved to Fl. at 52 ..jobless and without local contacts.
I told everyone I met in AA....I need a job!

Other AA members offered me jobs.....I found an
interesting one way outside of my former job fields.

I took that ..did OJT ..stayed with it for 6 years
before another move brought me to Ga.

LD is correct.....I'm no longer driving and limited physically.
I hire AA members to help me do errands and housework.
The only way I know who needs cash? They speak up.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

bella89.....

Sorry to know you lost your Mom
and your Dad had a stroke.

I live in a low income federally funded apartment
We have special places set aside for those
with disabilities.
You could check about that by calling your local
Houseing Authority in case you do have to move.

Prayers coming to you and your Dad
Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Whatever problems you are having won't get any better if you drink, please remember that Congrats on 90 days! and thank God your wife is recovering after brain surgery. I don't know what you do for a living but put the word amongst your AA friends that you are looking for work, and if they know anyone hiring you would love to hear about it.

Here is another suggestion, that if you add a buck you can buy a cup of coffee , if you can paint and do some minor home repairs you could place an ad on Craigslist and make some cash until you can find a permanent job.

Be proud of yourself for taking care of your wife as she recovers from surgery, and stay committed to sobriety.

Michael from Birmingham I just said a prayer for you, best of luck!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replys.
Just wanted to update. Ive been having crazy depression and now couldnt work if I wanted to. I know it will pass and God will take care of it.

Thanks for your prayers,
Michael
Old 09-16-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hang in there Michael, prayer send your way.
Don't give up, hold onto your failth.
Something will turn up soon.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

Hey Michael,

I'm very impressed that with all you're going through you got sober and stayed sober. Wow.

I can't offer much but I can tell you even though the government's broke, there's still help available, depending where you live and your financial and household status. You might want to reach out to social services and see what type opf assistance is available. That may not be your style, but it's worth mentioning.

Congrats again on a truly impressive achievement. You are an inspiration.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 90. However, this ball we live on keeps spinning whether we drink or not. The problems of years of addiction doesnt get solved in 90 days. Something I had to learn early on is that the phrase "This too shall pass" applies to the good times too. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Its now 3 months after I originally started this thread.

Ive stayed clean and sober, WHOO HOO!! Got my 6 month chip last week.

I still havnt found a "permanant job" however, thanks to all of your great idea's, I started a small carpentry business with my brother in law. Making enough to survive, and thats okay with me.

God and AA have saved my life. I love the program so much. Y'all have taught me how to live life.. Suit up and show up. My sponsor tells me that alot, lol... It's going to be awesome when I sponsor people and I can tell them that, LOL

Im very grateful for so many things in my life. From having a bed to sleep on to having toothpaste so I can brush my teeth. When my mind tries to get into pitty, Im always quick to do a long gratitude list.

Love,
MIchael
Old 12-02-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

(((Michael))) - SO glad to hear an update from you, and that you are working WAY TO GO on 6 months!!! You and your family remain in my prayers.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy