Notices

Questions about AA

Old 10-18-2003, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about AA

I didnt want to quit before, but I think I'm getting there. My question is where did AA get this higher power thing from, I dont believe in a higher power, does that mean to join I have to believe? I am me, does AA force like you to convert to their way of thinking? Thinking of sitting in a room where I have to robotically repret I am an alcoholic grates on me. This sucks, I have 3 days off and I can think of nothing but drinking. Why is changing so hard-I would feel better right! I'm just frustrated with my stupidity.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Thinking,
I felt the same way you do when I came into AA. I thought I was the only higher power there was. I was raised to believe there was a God but somewhere along the way I changed my ideas.
Then one day, a friend of mine sat me down and made it very clear to me that all my best ideas and intellect got me right where I was sitting. I was scared of what I was doing and more scared of where I was going. I didn't know if I wanted what AA had to offer but I damn sure new I didn't want any more of what I had. Then one day I was listening to an alcoholic priest tell his story. He said he had the same problem. Intellectually he was taught there was a God but he didn't feel a relationship with God...until one morning with a hangover, he looked in the mirror at himself and the thought came to him that if what he was looking was the best there was, he was really in trouble.
AA doesn't demand that I believe in "God" but that I suggests that I learn to believe in something more powerful than I am. Not too hard when I think about the power alcohol had over me. So I tried it. I tried doing what was suggested to me and getting my ego out of the way. I read where 90% of the worlds population believes in some sort of "God", so does what I believe make all those other people all wrong? Today I don't believe the way I used to believe. I've been sober a long time and from the day I asked my Higher Power to help me I haven't had to drink. Haven't even wanted to drink.
I understand your feelings and your attitude but as long as you're unwilling to make some changes, nothing's going to change.
Give AA a chance for 90 days. Just do what's suggested. Go to some meetings, ask someone to sponsor you and do what that person says. If you don't like the results, you can have all your misery back.
Stay in touch.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Hi Thinking...

Here is a site full of information about AA meetings

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

If you decide to quit...we can help.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

HI,
TRADITION THREE:THE ONLY REQUIREMENT FOR MEMBERSHIP IS A
DESIRE TO STOP DRINKING.
I'M THANKFUL, THAT IS THE ONLY REQUIREMENT, OR ELSE I WOULD HAVE WALKED OUT OF THAT FIRST MEETING.

THE PLACE I CAME FROM WAS A NIGHTMARE AND I COULD NOT
CONTINUE DOING WHAT I ALWAY'S DID. I'VE GOT TO BE HUNGREY ENOUGH, AND BEAT UP ENOUGH TO TAKE DIRECTION.

MY PERCEPTION IS HARDLY EVER REALITY.
NOTE; (THIS ONLY MY EXPERIENCE, STRENGTH AND HOPE)

I GOT TO A POINT WERE, I WAS WILLING TO DO WHAT EVER THE BOOK AND MY SPONSOR SAID & SAY'S, OR I'M GONNA FIND SOME REASON TO GO BACK TO THAT HOLE THAT I CAME FROM...

WHAT IN THE PAST HAS LIFTED MY SPIRIT. WHAT HAS MADE EVERYTHING OKAY. WHAT GAVE ME THE COURAGE AND STRENGTH, ALCOHOL! YES, ALCOHOL WAS MY HIGHER POWER THE ONLY PROBLEM WAS IT STOPPED MAKING ME FEEL ENLIGHTENED
AND JUST MADE ME SICK AND EXTREMELY THURSTY FOR MORE,
THAT FEELING LIKE I WAS SO HAPPY AND EVERTHING IS FINE
AND PEOPLE LIKE BEING AROUND ME, WENT AWAY...

FOR A WHILE I ENJOYED ME AND MY HIGHER POWER WE DID EVERYTHING TOGETHER WHO NEED'S ANYBODY ELSE, I'M ONE WITH THE "SPIRIT ALCOHOL" THAT FEELING DIDN'T LAST NOR DID MY FAMILY, FRIEND'S, JOB'S, FREEDOM'S, SANITY AND WILLINGNESS TO LIVE LIKE THIS ANYMORE.

TAKE AWAY THE ALCOHOL AND I HAVE A HUGE HOLE IN MY BEING!
SOMETHING IS GONNA HAVE TO FILL THAT HOLE, PEOPLE, PLACES AND THING'S, MY EGO, MY BRAIN, MY OWN WILL POWER WILL NOT LAST AND IN THAT TIME THAT IT DOES, WILL BE LESS THAN QUALITY AND EVENTUALLY NOT WORTH IT COMPARED TO THE FANTASY'S OF MY ALCOHOLIC MIND TELLING ME THAT DRINKING IS BETTER THAN THIS...

AND EVERYTHING I FEEL, IS JUST AS IT DID, BEFORE I LAUNCHED INTO OBILIVION. BUT NOW THAT OBLIVION IS MAKING LIFE MUCH WORSE, SO I STOPPED IT WITH THE HELP OF A HIGHER POWER,
AT THE TIME IT WAS THE A.A. GROUP'S THEM SELF.

I STOPPED SEARCHING FOR REASON'S THAT THIS PROGRAM
WOULDN'T WORK AND FOUND THAT IT'S NOT THE PROGRAM THAT FAIL'S BUT "MY WAY" THAT FAIL'S.

WARNING; I'VE BEEN KNOWN TO DISCRIBE THE WATER AS I DROWNED, INSTEAD OF CALLING OUT FOR HELP!

AND FORTUNATELY I BELIEVE THIS TODAY.

THE KEY TO SANITY AND SERENITY IS SELF SACRIFICE!

THANK'S FOR 12 STEPPING ME
JUST ANOTHER ALCOHOLIC
JACK B.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA does not ask us to believe "IN" a Higher Power.

AA only asks us to believe "THAT" a Power Greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity.

Coming to believe that a Power Greater than myself could restore me to sanity was not as difficult as I first thought it would be when I realized that the collective sobriety of AA was in itself a Power greater than myself. After all here was a bunch of former drunks who had found a way to relieve themselfs of the misery of drinking while I in my "infinate wisdom" was still out there floundering.

Walking into an AA meeting is in fact the tentative beginnings of faith in a Power greater than ourselves because many of us push the doors of AA with just a tiny seed of hope that somehow AA can help us.

I am a former atheist who have found faith in the Power of Spiritual Principles by remaining open minded and holding on to a willingness to try to believe in something.

Patience , Tolerance , Humility Willingness , Openmindedness and Courage are Spiritual Principles far more powerful than myself .......... if I can believe in these simple things then I have the tools I need to start changing my life.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a lot of problems with the Higher Power thing. I just couldn't get my head around it at all. The thing that helped me the most was learning that I only needed to be willing to believe that it was possible.

It dawned on me that I have no proof of existance of any Higher Power, but neither do I have proof of non-existance. So NOT believing was a kind of "faith" in itself, believing without any proof. Whether or not I believed was a decision for me! Since there is no sure answer either way, I decided I may as well try it out. I just switched and decided to believe and it was a tentative faith at best, but it was enough.

Amy
Old 10-21-2003, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Quote by Music:
Give AA a chance for 90 days. Just do what's suggested. Go to some meetings, ask someone to sponsor you and do what that person says. If you don't like the results, you can have all your misery back.
Stay in touch.

Also try reading the Big Book chapter to the Agnostics.

Here's a link to finding it for you.. see you don't even have to budge. Just read. Ultimatly the decision is yours.
Good advice and suggestions already given so I'll just stop here. Good luck!
http://www.nokama.com/bigbook
Old 10-21-2003, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Welcome, You need not believe in a higher power. I know people that just follow the fact that there is strength in numbers. So, AA being a group of people supporting each other in their desire to stop drinking is the main part of my recovery. I do believe in God as my higher power. However in no way would I accept being forced to do anything. As for repeating your an alcoholic, you may simply pass on anything you want and nothing will or should be said. I would only suggest to you that going to AA and belonging to AA are two different things in my recovery. You may have an easier time trying to find things you like in AA, rather than prejudging what you won't like. In my case and you'll read in many others while withdrawing from alcohol can change you opinion about things.
Many of my likes and dislikes were based on alcoholic thinking. Example, I have met people in AA that I look forward to seeing, I read books now, when before I thought it was a waste
of time. Change is the hardest part. There was more than just not drinking for me. It is like anything in life. When you decide ahead of time you aren't going to like something, there is a good chance you won't. I have been sober for 5 months and things are improving. There are still problems but, I can deal with them sober. All I can say is alcoholism is a terrible life to lead if you continue to drink. I was at a meeting the other night and spoke of my amazment with my life. I tried to kill myself a couple of times. I just can't believe that I wanted to die rather than live the life I live today. You can call it luck, higher power or what ever. I tried to kill myself,I got hit by a car going 40 miles per hour, I fell down a flight of cement steps at a train station and split my head open, and I sit here talking to you about a better life. There are many programs out there. You will hear about them on these boards. The important
thing is you find your way into one of them and stay sober. It isn't something you can window shop to long about.
Your life may depend on it. Please continue to post and you will find lots of encouragement and support regardless of the path you choose. Don W
Old 11-01-2003, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, the fact that people who dont even know who I am care is very heartening.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see

you checked back in Thinking..

Sure I know you...I was once exactly where you are right now.

AA helped me find a life of joy and purpose...full of sober friends.
We are the winners over addiction...
Old 11-01-2003, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi thinking ! I have only been going to AA for 11 days , and as has been mentioned , they only ask that you have a desire to stop driking .......for today !
One day at a time !
I have made some really fun and very supportive friends there , and am so blessed to have taken that first step................. the phone call
Keep comming back, would love to hear how you are going
HUGXXXXX
Lee
Old 11-01-2003, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Thinking,

AA doesn't ask anything of us. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.......and it sounds from your post that you have that..... Welcome ((((Thinking)))

Love
Patsy
Old 11-01-2003, 07:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you ((((((((Lee))))))))))))) thats fantastic!

Love
Patsy
Old 11-02-2003, 03:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Thinking, 'Take what you like and leave the rest'

GOD=Group Of Drunks, if you can go with this??

NOT that you HAVE to, two of MY closest AA friends are staunch agnostics - one with 27 years sobriety, the other with 33 years!!!

THEY both still have the desire to stop drinking. No-one is compelled to join in with the serenity prayer if they don't want to (OR Lord's prayer some meetings use in other countries)

These two guys do NOT join in with it, BUT they are always there for the newcomers. They make no secret of the fact that they are agnostic, which some people don't like, but I have learnt so much from them during my own recovery.

Many of us come to AA as agnostics, SOME come to believe, others DON'T, but if they are staying sober, with or without a 'GOD' it's gotta be better than the alternative hasn't t???
Old 11-04-2003, 08:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Re: Questions about AA

Originally posted by thinkingofwhen22
My question is where did AA get this higher power thing from, I dont believe in a higher power, does that mean to join I have to believe?
You don't have to believe in anything.
I sure didn't. By the time I was ready to quit, I was somewhere between an agnostic and an atheist.
That was 14 years ago and I'm stilll here.
Just give it a try if you want to.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Thinking,

This is just a suggestion, why not go and sit in the room and just listen, and begin at the beginning....... Step one, comes before Step two.

When I was new to the halls of AA, it was suggested to me to not drink, sit and listen, identify and do not compare and take the suggestions and then just keep coming.

And yes we care deeply about you Thinking, ..... WE are you

Love
Patsy
Old 11-05-2003, 08:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

Re: Questions about AA

Originally posted by thinkingofwhen22
I didnt want to quit before, but I think I'm getting there. My question is where did AA get this higher power thing from, I dont believe in a higher power, does that mean to join I have to believe? I am me, does AA force like you to convert to their way of thinking?
The second step says that we "Came to believe...". Belief and, more importantly, faith that something outside of myself would help me to achieve and maintain sobriety was a gradual process for me. At first I thought it was hopeless because I mistakenly believed that it was being demanded of me to change convictions that I've held for all of my life. The breakthrough came when I finally realized that nowhere in those fourteen words is there any demand made concerning what that higher power has to be. In other words, your HP only has to be what works for you. And it may take a little time to discover just what that is. AA doesn't demand that we believe any one thing in particular. (Individual AA members, on the other hand, may. That can be frustrating. I just need to remind myself that their intentions are good.)

Thinking of sitting in a room where I have to robotically repret I am an alcoholic grates on me.
Try attending some meetings. I think you'll find just about anything but "robotically repeating I am an alcoholic". This isn't a program of brainwashing. AA isn't designed to enslave us, it's designed to free us.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi thinking, I've got similar problems with the spiritual thing. All my beliefs are rooted in the sciences, and I've always been a very deep atheist. I've been worried that I could hop over from drinking to some other form of self-delusion.

I'm 29, I used to be a mining engineer. Right now there's a massive pit near Gympie (about three and a bit hours drive from where I live), that I designed and supervised the building of. I've also designed excavations almost 3km underground at Mt Isa, with intricate series of vertical openings connecting with it. All around my country, and overseas I had a successful career.

What I'm trying to say in a long winded way, is that for far too long I've felt like a God. Can you imagine the satisfaction of leaving your signature in the earth?

I know I'm going to struggle with the Higher power thing. To me I think of it as the natural beauty all around us. The stars, green fields full of flowers, the sun, the fury of wind and rain, and the peace of tropical sunsets. All these things are bigger than I am, and will continue whether I'm here to enjoy them or not. What I mean, if that's acceptable to AA (is that considered a higher power?) - I don't know, but I definitely can give myself to the beauty of the world. Which no matter what you believe, you can surely agree with.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your higher power can be anything you want.

Juls
Old 11-06-2003, 05:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Panadol,
You wrote:
"To me I think of it as the natural beauty all around us. The stars, green fields full of flowers, the sun, the fury of wind and rain, and the peace of tropical sunsets. All these things are bigger than I am, and will continue whether I'm here to enjoy them or not. What I mean, if that's acceptable to AA (is that considered a higher power?) - I don't know, but I definitely can give myself to the beauty of the world. Which no matter what you believe, you can surely agree with."

As I was reading the above, I though to myself, "Hey, how the hell did he know about my Higher Power?" You couldn't have described my HP any better. Up here north of the equator, I include the snowcapped mountains, the Canada Geese as they migrate for the winter....etc. This is what's so nice about the freedom of AA. We can pick and choose a Higher Power that works for us as individuals. My HP doesn't have to come out of a book with a black cover....although there may be a word or two about him in that book....I'm not telling!!!