Notices

Horrific boredom

Old 08-03-2010, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Horrific boredom

Hi folks, I had another huge relapse but have been clean for 3 days using benzos, I'm pacing about the house and do not know what to do with myself, it's driving me insane, I feel like a caged animal.I'm far too edgy at the moment to get back into meetings or go walks etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do until the withdrawal passes? I'm scared of another relapse.I'm actually going a bit wacko staring at these four walls.

Thank you.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Hi, ST84! Sorry you are going through withdrawal! Reading and writing on SR may be great help for this circumstances. Attending AA meeting also good for you. When big craving comes, drinking water works for me.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

maybe you can brainstorm and make a list of all the wonderful and fun things you will be able to enjoy sober..things you've always wanted to do
Old 08-03-2010, 04:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi spiced
do you have any support system in place besides SR?

D
Old 08-03-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....

3 days? That was the worse for me when I de toxed.
By the beginning of day 4...I noticed a big improvement.

But I did not use benzos for withdrawal from alcohol.
Perhaps calling your doctor would be wise.

I'm sorry you are having difficulties.
Hope you will feel better soon.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by spicedT84 View Post

- I had another huge relapse but have been clean for 3 days using benzos,

- I'm far too edgy at the moment to get back into meetings or go walks etc.
I had to get to the point where I quit trusting "my opinion of what's best for me" and, instead, I had to surrender. Nothing helped much or worked very well up until then.

I'll keep you in my prayers that you may find your way quickly.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ya know sometimes spiced, we have to go through the worst of times to get to the best of times. Withdrawal is no joke. I say walk around, pace, run in circles in you have to. Just get through the days as best as you can. When I didn't know what to do I did nothing. When I felt like I would lose my mind I got on the computer, watched tv or read a little. Whatever my mind and body could handle, that's what I did. I had no concentration, no energy, no will to do much of anything the first week. So I can understand your not wanting to walk or go anywhere. As the days progress, you WILL pick yourself up and do what is necessary to help yourself.

In the meantime, be kind to yourself. Get through the withdrawal and don't give in to the addiction. It will not solve anything and you will go back to day 1 AGAIN.

Remember you are not alone. We've all been in your shoes and come out the other side much wiser. Stay strong. It does get better. Day by day.

Best Wishes To You
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Boredom is the worst. I go through it everyday. I can't even give you any advice since I'm going through it as well. Just keep thinking of small stuff to do. Boredom can be a huge trigger.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, my answer can only be so good, because I don't know what it's like to use benzos and to begin with I don't have your body.

Aside from what has already been said, there is a sticky thread at the top of one of the forum sections - something like "Looking for Something To Do" or along those lines.

During the initial days and weeks, a lot of people overhaul something. They clean their house, they rearrange cupboards and furniture. They find something, whether it really needs it or not. (In my case, I had plenty of basic cleaning and organizing to do to last for "a while," let's say.)

I don't know if you are physically capable of moving around or not, but if you are mobile, you should make an effort to be mobile, walking no matter how boring it is. You might notice things in the neighborhood you didn't realize were there, if you're like most people. The physical activity of some kind or another is one of the key things people recognize as beneficial and worthwhile when recovering.

Some people are better at this than others, but you can also compartmentalize your activities. For example, if you need to be emotional and literally cry (I don't know if you do), try to pick a time to do it. Then shift to another one. Like someone else said, spend 2 or 3 hours writing down all the good that you can expect or hope for as a result of not drinking. Pick a time to focus on the negatives, and either write them down or memorize the inventory in your head if you are not the writing/list type of person. If you are good at comparing, compare the positive and negative lists you can create. Some people get a boost out of checklists. Something about them creates a sense of order and achievement. It can be anything from scouring the sink to building a shed to picking a charity walkathon to support.

It could also be that you need to start learning about the power in focusing on nothing but today. When you focus on some of the ideas above, you begin to acclimate yourself to living in the present - instead of dwelling in all the days in the past and future, neither of which exist, because the past is gone and the future is not here. When you pass a day over and over, you get into a rhythm of trusting yourself that you can make it. For some people, like me, that turned into a kind of peace and even a connection to "God."

There are people who even embrace their insomnia or other problems as a result of quitting drinking, because it is preferable to going back to living in addiction to substances. I have by far not had it the worst, but to the extent that I did have a rough time, I would say that getting through the bad times is something that teaches you to live with yourself in a better way, and the skills you see in yourself will begin to be useful in other areas in life besides staying away from addiction (such as not dwelling on resentful attitudes, dealing with frustrations, correcting yourself when you become intolerant, etc.)
Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi folks, I had another huge relapse but have been clean for 3 days using benzos, I'm pacing about the house and do not know what to do with myself, it's driving me insane, I feel like a caged animal.I'm far too edgy at the moment to get back into meetings or go walks etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do until the withdrawal passes? I'm scared of another relapse.I'm actually going a bit wacko staring at these four walls.

Thank you.
Go to an AA meeting. And then, go to another AA meeting and keep going to AA meetings until going to meetings seems like a good idea.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

man..3 days in i was the same..took me near 2 weeks..to begin to feel normal, and about a whole month to gain a decent level of fitness back, i slept,napped a lot, was irratable, impatient, could,nt concentrate, etc,etc, patients is the virtue, dont panic, its all part of re,adjusting to reality again, my take on matters, eat healthy, drink lots of healthy beverages, and if you need to do the doc and pill things, it all takes time to rebuild damage,my take again on things,its easy to demolish,rebuilding can take time.
well done on your days, keep it going,you will improve day on day..good luck.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and advice, I've picked all your posts apart to see which activities suit at this time, the physical stuff is just a no no at the moment I'm far too weak, however I have started a positive/negative diary of drinking and it's been helpful so far.

This may sound completely psychotic but I loved comic books and computer games as a kid, I've been drawing some of my favorite characters on a notepad (Mario, Sonic, Link), it's been quite therapeutic believe it or not.

Anymore ideas are very welcome.

Into day 4 not easy but getting easier.

I can't believe how selfless you lot are
Old 08-04-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you.
do whatever you can to get your mind off of the withdrawal.

watch movies, read, draw, exercise (after you're stronger), go to the park, a museum, the library, go out to eat, get some ice-cream, paint, work on something......you get my point.

it'll be alot better if you don't dwell on this right now....my best advise is to rent a ton of comedies and get a bunch of junk food and pig out. that will make the time pass a little easier.

if you need a list of things to do, i keep a running list of 100+ things i came up with when i was detoxing for 2 months, but i was detoxing from prescription drugs and booze. i felt like my detox took years....so just try to stay occupied.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and advice, I've picked all your posts apart to see which activities suit at this time, the physical stuff is just a no no at the moment I'm far too weak, however I have started a positive/negative diary of drinking and it's been helpful so far.

This may sound completely psychotic but I loved comic books and computer games as a kid, I've been drawing some of my favorite characters on a notepad (Mario, Sonic, Link), it's been quite therapeutic believe it or not.

go to the comic book store!!! i've been collecting since i was 7! it's a beautiful hobby :ghug3
Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I could have written your post myself!
The boredom is one of my biggest hurdles in quitting (that and insomnia). This may be a little weird, but what helps me? Eating. I know i might gain a little weight through this... lol But my body feels satisfied after eating something delicious and I don't think about alcohol anymore.
Maybe it'll work for you!
Good luck!!!
Day 3 was SOOO bad for me last time. It was definitely the worst.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found that during those jumpy withdrawal times it helps to read a fun or interesting novel--to focus attention on something outside myself and my somatic discomforts. Reading is one of the few activities that I've always enjoyed more when I'm NOT drinking than when I'm drinking, so it's been especially helpful for me. Sure, your concentration may not be steady, but there are all sorts of fun books where that wouldn't matter (I recommend the Harry Potter series).

The other thing that helps IS to eat something tasty--make yourself a nice meal. Also, I know that most people say that sugar should be avoided during abstinence, but for me it's the opposite. If I have a craving for a glass of wine, a scoop of ice cream or a mug of hot chocolate does take away the craving for alcohol (and doesn't leave a hangover!).
Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JosetteCollins View Post
I've found that during those jumpy withdrawal times it helps to read a fun or interesting novel--to focus attention on something outside myself and my somatic discomforts. Reading is one of the few activities that I enjoy more when I'm NOT drinking than when I'm drinking, so it's especially helpful for me. Sure, your concentration may not be steady, but there are all sorts of fun books where that wouldn't matter (I recommend the Harry Potter series).

The other thing that helps IS to eat something tasty--make yourself a nice meal. Also, I know that most people say that sugar should be avoided during abstinence, but for me it's the opposite. If I have a craving for a glass of wine, a scoop of ice cream or a mug of hot chocolate does take away the craving for alcoho (and doesn't leave a hangover!).
Amen to the sugar! if i don't have atleast 1 glass of chocolate milk a day i go CRAZY!!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I love my sugar too. Ice cream has always been my "other" poison! I'm trying not to overdo it since I don't want to gain weight (I've actually lost a little since staying sober), but compared to the bottle of wine I used to drink every night, I figure a couple scoops of ice cream isn't so bad.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I take it AA meetings don't "suit" you!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

@ Music, i've been a member of A.A. for seven years, I read the big book and 12 and 12 everyday, I have a good sponsor, I simply had a relapse, it's just part of the illness., perhaps you should read before replying.

@ Holly, I managed to make a good steak and chips and it stayed down if you know what I mean.

thanks folks.