Notices

Lost Weekend

Old 07-31-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost Weekend

Anyone read that? The novel I mean. I did over the last two days and was pretty much surprised how much this resembles my own drinking career. Fear of the phone ringing, not picking it up, falling down stairs, waking up in a hospital ward. It's pretty crazy since this was written in the 1930s and everything seemed a bit familiar nonetheless. But I guess that's a no brainer. Alcohol didn't change since then, people didn't, theay just looked funnier. What's a bit scary is that the author couldn't seem to get it right and eventually killed himself.

Charles R. Jackson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-31-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No I've never read the novel - lived it tho

Welcome to SR thatsthat
Look forward to hearing about your own story too

D
Old 07-31-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

An excellent old black and white movie was
adapted from the book....same title.

The good news is....Yes! you can win over alcohol!
Millions of us are living as non drinkers
who were active alcoholics in the past.

Glad you joined us....
Old 07-31-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

l lost 3 weeks last month.
Never again.
(said that before as well)
But l will certainly read the book and hopefully learn something.

The Buddha said, “Whoever has done harmful actions but later covers them up with good is like the moon which, freed from clouds, lights up the world.”
Old 08-01-2010, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thatsthat View Post
Anyone read that? The novel I mean. I did over the last two days and was pretty much surprised how much this resembles my own drinking career. Fear of the phone ringing, not picking it up, falling down stairs, waking up in a hospital ward. It's pretty crazy since this was written in the 1930s and everything seemed a bit familiar nonetheless. But I guess that's a no brainer. Alcohol didn't change since then, people didn't, theay just looked funnier. What's a bit scary is that the author couldn't seem to get it right and eventually killed himself.

Charles R. Jackson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I saw the movie many moons ago and can relate.

I've got call display so I wouldn't pick up the phone unless I felt it was absolutely necessary. In those cases I would do my best to speak coherently and at the same time write down the essence of the conversation so I could more or less remember what was said. Otherwise I would have completely forgotten about the call.

A few weeks ago, I went on a bender during which time I broke my foot by falling down while drunk. I don't remember what happened at the time but it sure hurt in the morning so off to the hospital.

A few days later I thought it would be a good idea to take out the recycling while hammered during which time I fell and bruised the ribs on my right side.

And then, believe it or not, Einstein here, hammered again took a walk around the neighborhood at 1:30 am to check on a vacationing friend's home as promised. Einstein fell and bruised the ribs on his left side.

Just getting over that now and have re-committed to sobriety.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd seen the movie years ago and, while it was good, it's quite dated. I'm almost finished with the book right now. It is the best description of the mind of an active alcoholic I have ever read bar none.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

One of my all-time favorite movies. Ray Milland was superb and he won the Oscar for his role.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I downloaded it yesterday for my Kindle. I found it really disturbing - reminded me of me at my worst. I never stole or made a fool of myself, but the rest of it could have been exactly the way I was living and feeling.
I even made a mental note to check if I had a drink for when I woke up, to keep the withdrawal at bay before I realised I didn't need one.