Notices

Repeat.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dig your artwork too Sleepie - it's honest.
As for day ones - if I can get there after 15 years, you can too - I know it

D
Old 07-27-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Sleepie! I hope you are well today! I had to come at dealing with my addiction to alcohol a lot of different ways before I found the success I am currently experiencing. Look at it from every angle to understand why you are having problems.

I'm an artist as well, and I know that addiction is rampant in the arts community, which doesn't help us. A lot of people expect artists to be addicts...but the artists I know who are really making it are the most sober people I know. I won't say that I find your art comfortable, but I'm guessing that's the point. There is much more to art than just a pretty picture...I would love to see more of it some time.

I also have addicts on both sides of the family and was raised in an alcoholic home, that's no reason to believe we can't get sober.

So here's thinking of you! Good luck, I know you can do it:-)
Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
No, I have a counselor and I had a sponsor so yes, I was getting counseling and I was attending AA. Next time I want to pick up I will call someone instead. It's a little awkward sometimes, but there are a couple of people I can call- That information kind of gets wiped out when I decide it's okay to have a few drinks. Embarassingly, I will be talking to my counselor about it soon. But I have an idea. I'm just going to have to be more aggressive and I need to start meditating again. I can do that easily enough and it does help.
Wow do I know that feeling. I had to change things up with my therapist, sponsor and the people at the AA groups I went to. With all of them (the AA group I did it at a couple tables) I flat-out told them I would probably never call them IF I'm about to drink again. I always wanted to (call), always thought it was a good idea ......up until 5 seconds before I drank. I was soooo ashamed at my weakness - that I was about to drink again - that the thought of telling someone turned my stomach. Then I said (to them), if you really want to be a help to me, bug the crap out of me by checking up on me. Call me anytime you want, even if you think it's annoying me - basically treat me like a little kid. Sheesh, did I get some calls.....and it DID start to bug me.....but it actually helped.

I know "we're supposed to call before we pick up" but I had to admit I just didn't have the ability/will power to follow through.

If you're in the same boat, don't feel bad about it. It used to really tear me up that it seemed like I just didn't get it like everyone else did. I just got so darn sick of feeling guilty, sad and shameful all the time that I started throwing caution to the wind and just admitting everything....everything that I could/could not do. That seemed to help.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I needed something that grabbed me and pulled me away. I needed that kick in the head!
I got it and it worked for me. The only thing you will loose is $10. I do not push or promote methods but this worked for me and I do hope it pulls you up as well.

The Easy Way to Stop Drinking - Allen Carr

I kept reading the book, finding a lot of solace in breaking false drinking associations, and reminding myself daily that alcohol ravages time, energy, love, and money. Four things we can never have enough of. I made a habit of reminding myself of how great it is that I am free. I will not mourn the drink, nor envy those who drink.

Best.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-27-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: removed commerical link
Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sleepie, the humiliation at coming to understand and accept addiction inside is also liberating. It's a precursor to it. Life isn't all roses (without thorns) afterward, but what people who have left it behind say is true; it's WAY better once you get past these initial steps.

For the person who brought up the avatars, I also find them unusually disturbing. But I guess that's what makes them successful as art pieces, since it's not always what we "like" or what would make us smile....
Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi all and thanks so much for reading my thread and responding! I'm only on day two, but I was kind of bummed out when I woke up still feeling sluggish and sad. After reading everyone's posts my spirits are quite lifted

I'll share with you what I sent over to Sober NVA in a PM, as a response to her PM regarding my avatar.

" There's a big world out there and unfortunately it isn't all pretty- as most know. If you flip through an art history book, you will see many images that you may find disagreeable- and hopefully a few that posses the ability to get your clockwork turning or resonate with you emotionally. Certainly, my intention is not to offend or frighten anyone with an image.

Maybe you will feel more at ease if I offer an explanation. The avatar you are referring to was influenced by Japanese horror movies and people's apparent taste for the macabre. Simply put- it seems people really like scary things- lots of zombie movies and goth rockers in the popular media. I find this funny, and I also enjoy the occasional scary movie. The expression on the face in the avatar is meant to be comical.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding my work, and for reading my threads/ posts."

And that's all I got!

As a side note- I quit painting, as I no longer enjoy it and hope to move on to new endeavors at some point. Right now though, just getting some real time away from alcohol will be enough work in itself. So, that's my current focus.

And regarding that... it's far too hot to go outdoors today! So I'm staying in. And not drinking. Wondering what to do the next time that point arrives at which I think I can have a few with a friend. Not worried about it, just thinking.