Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Trouble! I don't believe this, High Triglycerides, doctor told me.

Notices

Trouble! I don't believe this, High Triglycerides, doctor told me.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Question Trouble! I don't believe this, High Triglycerides, doctor told me.

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT. Well maybe I can, as it's a cause, I have "High Triglycerides" I've just been told by my doctor as I just got my bloodwork done, as I haven't had it done for like a year and a half. It's the fat in your blood, and they say you can have it from obesity, eating more calories than you burn, and ... drinking a lot of alcohol.

I've come off a 2 month heavy binge from May and June, then was off alcohol for 22 days, then binge drank for a few days lately... and I don't ... I wasn't exactly told how high my triglyceride is, but apparently it's not normal. Has anyone else had this problem like their doctor told them this?

Also I should add, since February I started eating ice cream, and I never actually ate much in my life... I eat spinach daily, 20 sit ups/10 push ups a day, I eat a little too much cheese, but I eat SMART BALANCE DIET LIGHT BUTTER ...

Well ... even though my anxiety is at a very big high, just thought I would ask about this. T... thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

People who drink a lot of alcohol often have high trigs... They'll go down once you quit drinking. Diet helps too. Weight loss... All that.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It shouldn't come as all that much of a shock that drinking the way you've described on numerous occasions is having an effect on your physical health. We don't always "feel" everything that's happening on the inside.

Maybe it's another indication that it's time to surrender for good.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Hi Triglycerides....fat in your blood....

Hi Paulos,

I was told the same thing by one of my docs too when she told me I had a v ery good all over chloesterol level. I asked her how I could reduce these I she said a very strict diet and exercise. I had been sober about 20 years when I was told this so quitting alcohol isn't going to do it all for sure.

My Dad had high triglycerides & had two heart attacks & my Brother just started getting sober & had two heart attacks in October & December of 2009

I have some chest pain that radiates up into my jaw so my doc had me get a echocardiogram which involves getting an MRI & everything showed up good with my heart.

I think the chest pain & some other symptoms come from my high anxiety levels & I am stubborn about taking medications for them unless I have to.

Shannon
Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was told the same thing, at age 22, after only ONE year of heavy drinking.
I avoided going to a doctor for years after hearing about that.

Perhaps with more sobriety under my belt, I will have the courage to visit a doctor again sometime...
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Okay well thanks... I was told by my doc to get Niacin in me, and that's what I'm doing. Got to be careful though, as too much at once can flush you and make you hot physically brutally like 100+ degrees... I just do not want to be in the "heart attack range" ever really.