Notices

Benefits of NOT drinking

Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

It's helpful for me to think about this often.

Another one: no more random bruises that take forever to heal that you can't even remember getting.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Sober, I gained a life, a manageable one. I have earned, trust, respect and responsibility, everything I lost to the bottle. I can hold my head up high, with pride, without shame, guilt and sadness.

I have come to know peace and my life is without drama. I can remember today, yesterday and look forward to tomorrow. I have consistency and walk on solid ground. I know there is a solution to obstacles and no matter how bad things seem to get, it WILL get better, sober.

These are things I never thought possible, but have achieved this and more, merely by making the decision to stop drinking once and for all. Life isn't always easy, but one thing for certain, it is much easier sober, than alcohol dependent.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

My sanity.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:07 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

How about not waking up to replies from emails you don't remember sending?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:10 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Not waking up to drink again before dawn.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:00 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

What an ABSOLUTELY B E A U T I F U L thread! Melinda, WOW! You summed it all up wonderfully. Reading all of these posts has brought tears to my eyes, the reality of freedom is amazing isn't it?

Some perks of sobriety for me:
I love mornings free of the "fog"
Being able to be real to my family and friends again
To have GOALS that are attainable
To be free of self destructive behavior and bad habits
To look in the mirror and see bright eyes and glowing skin
To not be chained to a schedule based on drinking
Not waking up with a rancid smell under my breath, wondering if everyone I come in contact with knows how much I guzzled the night before
To not have a panicked feeling that I am killing myself and constantly wonder how much longer will my body put up with this

What a lovely thread, thanks for asking a question that has sooo many UPlifting answers.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by ninja7 View Post
Not waking up to drink again before dawn.
Yes, and being able to sleep through the night and wake up feeling rested, instead of waking up and doing a mental inventory to see if there is any alcohol left to enable me to get out the door and go to work.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

not smelling like alcohol!!
Even if you only drink at night, or not every day, alcoholics have a very distinct smell. And people notice. It is so nice to not smell like an alcoholic anymore
Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

With sobriety, I am no longer my own worst enemy.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I love this thread, amazing how alike we are in our addiction and struggle with the same things, sobriety for me is getting my life back, my self respect and my dreams for my future and I love to live without shame and constant worry about what people might discover about my (imaginary secret life), there is nothing secret in the life of an alcoholic as the treads above show! SO glad to share this experience with you all
Old 07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Love this thread...how I found the forums after doing a google search. Loved Melinda's stuff about facebook. I had a couple of friends delete and block me and I have never been sure why. And these were people I enjoyed knowing and talking to.

I had some crazy facebook posts at times.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Having control and being free from the massive limitations which addiction thrusts on you is about as good of an incentive as it can possibly get
Old 07-11-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GrahamP View Post
Love this thread...how I found the forums after doing a google search. Loved Melinda's stuff about facebook. I had a couple of friends delete and block me and I have never been sure why. And these were people I enjoyed knowing and talking to.

I had some crazy facebook posts at times.
Ditto It was the worst... Waking up to find out what I'd done on Facebook.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

A life
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Umm... I rediscovered the joys of sex Sober sex is an excellent motivator!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:03 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

The slow fuzzy thinking is gone... I'm beginning to uncover the sharp brain I knew I had back in school. My thinking is much deeper, intricate and quicker.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Oh... And the senses of taste and smell are back! That was a weird thing to go through life not being able to smell what the sober people around me could smell!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Myself and my family. We're gorgeous together.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I get to not waste away as my internal organs melt from the inside out.

A few other benefits I've noticed include: having a life instead of merely existing to chase the next drunk, + a significant lack of the following: handcuffs, jails, ER's, Critical Care units, stitches, stab wounds, sickness, public embarrassment, private misery.

Hell, this list could go on for days.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:35 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stirfry View Post
Hi Everyone!

What benefits did you get from NOT drinking?

(feel free to link to other threads discussing this. I'm new here & unfortunately feel too weak to read about challenges, struggles, & drinking again so I haven't read much)

I've had a few years of daily wine drinking (3-4 glasses, maybe up to a bottle a night) So far I'm 3 nights without & feeling pretty good but must admit I do feel tempted late at night. Could really use some reinforcement here.

I'm also concerned about gaining weight (I think the wine made me slightly nauseated the next day so I didn't eat as much)

Thanks so much.

Stirfry
You and I are almost in the same boat (my drug was beer though, wine only every now & then), I'm on my 3rd sober day right now and on the good side I noticed that my digestive tract seems to be working a lot better, but I'm also starving all the time! Before I was only eating lunch and then drinking my dinner, I'm at my target weight right now and definitely don't want to gain anything!!!

But I suppose one thing at a time... if I can conquer this I can definitely conquer my eating habits, but I'll worry about that if I actually do start to gain any weight. The last time I quit I lost weight, but I was meticulous about my eating habits (I can be too much of a perfectionist sometimes, it's aggravating), this time I'm not worrying about eating as much because the only thing I need to deal with right now is this devil of a drinking problem.