Notices

Lately....

Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lately....

Hi everyone...
The weather here has been really hot...and lately it seems wherever I go...people are asking me to stop over and have a glass of wine it's so weird..when they ask my heart just kinda stops and goes into a panic mode...I polietly decline, but a part of me wishes oh it would be so nice to be a normal drinker....I'm struggling with this abit....I thought I had surrendered but with thoughts like this, I'm afraid it's leading me down a "slippery slope" I know I don't want to drink..it just seems to be on my mind these days.......
Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep reminding yourself why you stopped drinking in the first place and keep on politely but firmly saying "no".
Old 07-11-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi least!! Thank-you !! Sometimes I think..oh but that was before....you've stopped now for almost 6 months....it's like I have the devil on one side and an angel on the other!!! I swear!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmmm...I often wonder, what is a normal drinker? I don't want to be a normal drinker, I want to get falling down drunk, but I'm an alcoholic. If someone made a pill that I could take that would "cure" me of my disease, I'm sure I would probably never take it. Here's my thinking...
"well, I can take this pill and never worry about my drinking again. I'll take it tomorrow because I'm gonna have one last go around today". I can assure you I would say that every day, and the pill would never get taken, because that's how my alcoholic mind works.

Sounds to me like maybe you should start making some new friends.

Brian
Old 07-11-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by justbrian View Post

...If someone made a pill that I could take...
If someone made a pill that could allow me to drink like a normal person, the first thing I would do would be to find out how "normal" I could get with it!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I get that little rush of panic sometimes, too (don't like surprises!). If I know ahead of time I'm going to be offered drinks at a function, I can prepare myself mentally. So, maybe the trick is to always be "ready" to deal with that friend who is going to suggest a glass of wine. On the other hand, if the whole idea of getting together is going to be having a few drinks, I would have to turn it down.

Maybe you could ask the friend to go somewhere with you or come over to your house? Have some cranberry and club soda, or lime and tonic....?
Maybe one of your triggers is sitting and talking over wine? I know that I have certain times when I've "romanticized" the idea of a drink: vacation on the beach, intimate talks, while I'm painting, at night when I'm playing video games......

I've been feeling really funky the past 2 or 3 days myself. Just restless, bored, kinda blah..... It's worse at night though, so I just try to get through the day somehow and often feel much better after a good night's sleep.

Just throwing stuff out here........ Think of this as a little blip - another little temptation that will make you stronger when you get through it... 6 months is totally awesome!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
If someone made a pill that could allow me to drink like a normal person, the first thing I would do would be to find out how "normal" I could get with it!
:rotfxko ain't that the truth!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The funny thing about it, the people offering aren't my friends, they are clients...or friends of clients!!
I think I might be abit restless too, I haven't been to the gym because my back has been out for a couple of weeks, Im going tomorrow..and just with the weather being so nice I want to do all these fun summer things, and I'm working around the clock.....oh just a blip too...vacation in a few weeks!! can't wait!!