Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to develop a physical addiction to alcohol?

Notices

How long does it take to develop a physical addiction to alcohol?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StormClouds View Post
I just try to monitor myself. I have seen alcohol really take over people's lives and I don't want to go there.
Sounds to me like it already has. Having to drink in the morning before you can even function isn't normal.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think the fact that you found SR and decided to post here answers your question.

Normal drinkers wouldn't ever question whether or not they should stop... it doesn't even register.. I think the fact that you're concerned (no matter how cautious you reckon you are about it to begin with) gives you your answer...

You're the only one who can decide, but my opinion? However worthless it may or may not be... is that you do have a problem and it should be addressed.

It'd be a hell of a lot better now than it would be after time passed... cos it onnnnnnnnnnnly gets worse, my friend.

Good luck... I wish you the very best..
Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Everybody is correct that it is different for everyone.

I drank a half liter of hard alcohol every single night for four years. I stopped without any physical withdrawals, for whatever reason. I guess this means I wasn't physically addicted?

What does it matter anyways? I knew that if I continued to drink that amount every night I would be in a ugly place five years from now.

The mental addiction is what gets you and has made it hard for me not to drink. But, once you want to be sober more than you want to drink you've won half the battle.

Definitely talk to your doctor.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"Physical addiction scares the hell out of me but I am confidant I can handle my crazy mind."

Okay, make a promise to yourself to not drink for the next 30 or even 60 days. Shouldn't be a problem if you can control your mind, right?

I cannot understand my wife - She is happy to have a glass of chardonney once or twice a week! I could not stop after one glass or sometimes even one bottle. I had no control over my drinking but of course I thought I did.

Dave
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Physical addiction scares the hell out of me but I am confidant I can handle my crazy mind.
There isn't a single one of us here who hasn't thought this. And every single one of us was wrong. Thinking we can handle it is almost a defining quality of problem drinking. The sensible thing to do is not to test one's ability to handle it, unfortunately we don't seem able to do this and keep on testing our ability to handle it until we suddenly discover we can't. Stormclouds, I'd really urge you to think about addressing your daily drinking. Your body is almost certainly biochemically dependent on it's daily dose of alcohol to some extent, and that's only going to get worse unless you do something about it.

Well, that the way I see it. Best of luck.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by StormClouds View Post

...It seems like a physical addiction would takes years to form...
I have heard & read many stories about college students who never drank before in their life, becoming addicted in their first semester of their freshman year at college. What's that - 4 or 5 months?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Back a few years ago when I finally had to admit that I was alcoholic and there was no middle ground I had convinced myself that since I only drank in quantities necessary to "feel good" that I WAS CONTROLLING ALCOHOL. It wasn't until I came to realize that I COULDN'T go a day without a drink or I physically was fuzzy headed, my hands would be a little unsteady and I felt a general sense of discomfort, and since I was very gainfully employed, hell I owned the company and lived a very comfortable life, that I was NOT REALLY an alcoholic, alcohol just HELPED me cope!

Suddenly it dawned on me, I NEED alcohol; it has control over me not vice versa. So off I went to AA to LEARN TO DRINK BETTER. Just planned to stay for about 90 days and then back to "controlled" drinking.

After stopping for 90+ days I felt so much better that as I am a procrastinator by nature, I never got around to drinking again, that was about 11 years ago and you know what?

I never have figured out if I was addicted to alcohol, but it no longer is a relevant question.

Just my story, I have no idea if that applies in your case.

Jon
Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

One in the morning to get going? 6 a day? I'd drink a litre of wine a night, nothing in the morning through the workweek, but often would have the first glass on the weekend by 1pm. I have a problem, I cannot drink, my body cannot handle it, if you have come here you are questioning yourself, be true to yourself and answer yourself honestly, it's hard but facing the facts will save your life. I have often thought how stupid it was to pay out my hard earned money to assist in killing myself. It has taken me a long time to be honest with myself ... now the work begins