Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What isn't posted on here is just as important as what is...

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been reading a lot of posts about this concept of playing the tape in your head or other methods of self-talk to prevent relapse etc.

I've just been thinking of how I can rationalise things in my own mind by what is NOT posted on here. I've never read 'I was sober for 2 weeks, had a drink and oh my god I don't know why I ever wanted to be sober in the first place'

I've never read, 'Oh wow I had so much to drink today, and I feel so much better for it and my boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/children are so proud of me for it'

I've never read 'Wow my skin has really cleared up and my mental state is so much better since I've quit this sobriety business'

It is these little messages that say to me - if no one's saying it then they ain't true. No one says that it is good to drink, no one says an alcoholic can successfully drink. That tricked my mind successfully out of a major craving. I mean who am I to think I'm so different from everyone else on here. I don't! But my addict brain tells me I am.

Anyone got anymore to add to the list?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Haha, I've never read- "Hey, I killed a sixer last night and topped it off with a few shots and now I totally understand string theory, plus I miraculously lost five pounds!"
Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So you missed my post saying "WOW I got SO much done yesterday after downing that fifth of vodka"?

lol

Steve
Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good thread lilyrose, really making me smile this morning! Reminds me of a guy in AA who said something along the lines of

"There's no reason to be negative about not drinking. We're the winners! I've yet to see someone come back after a slip saying 'You guys are really missing out, the craic out there is mighty!"
Old 06-15-2010, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Actually there are a few posts along the lines of "I'm miserable sober so I might as well drink". These are heartbreaking to me.

Ronan, what the heck is a "craic"?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been reading a lot of posts about this concept of playing the tape in your head or other methods of self-talk to prevent relapse etc.

I've just been thinking of how I can rationalise things in my own mind by what is NOT posted on here. I've never read 'I was sober for 2 weeks, had a drink and oh my god I don't know why I ever wanted to be sober in the first place'

I've never read, 'Oh wow I had so much to drink today, and I feel so much better for it and my boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/children are so proud of me for it'

I've never read 'Wow my skin has really cleared up and my mental state is so much better since I've quit this sobriety business'

It is these little messages that say to me - if no one's saying it then they ain't true. No one says that it is good to drink, no one says an alcoholic can successfully drink. That tricked my mind successfully out of a major craving. I mean who am I to think I'm so different from everyone else on here. I don't! But my addict brain tells me I am.

Anyone got anymore to add to the list?
:rotfxko

Hahahahahaa great thread!

"I woke up in a pool of urine in and my bed was soaked.... self esteem is through the roof this morning, feel great about myself"
Old 06-15-2010, 03:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Haha chops

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Actually there are a few posts along the lines of "I'm miserable sober so I might as well drink". These are heartbreaking to me.

Ronan, what the heck is a "craic"?
Craic is an Irish slang word for 'fun'. But it's kinda synonymous with getting smashed! I swear, there's people considered 'regular' drinkers in Ireland that would put a lot of us hardened alcoholics to shame
Old 06-15-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

:rotfxko I needed some laughs today!! Thanks!!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Blacked out last night and woke up in a jail cell. The beds are just soo comfy, I can't wait to go back."
Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Puked my guts out doing endless shots on a first date........Now that is what I call bonding...

lol...great post!!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Woke up next to a hideous beast in bed with me this morning. What the hell, I might as well propose, right?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Never heard anyone say - My boyfriend is so happy for me after I got 10 text messages from a guy who I don't even remember!! Wow thank god I had so much to drink last night. I knew that last vodka cranberry wasn't a mistake!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Here's mine:

"I am so glad that fifth of vodka gave me the courage to finally call that long lost friend. And just my luck they answered at 1 am on a Monday night."

"That email to my coworker practically wrote itself after 14 beers. I'm so glad I could finally articulate my thoughts/concerns of the workplace. I look forward to their response."

"That blackout was just what I needed to finally share my feelings to my significant other. It's like a weight has been lifted off my chest. Now they know that I still resent that argument at the lake from 2003. It feels great to open the floodgates through hysterical sobbing, screaming, and throwing things."
Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
"Blacked out last night and woke up in a jail cell. The beds are just soo comfy, I can't wait to go back."
hahahahah "and the they provided great customer service and the food was outstanding"
Old 06-16-2010, 03:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Or how about:

"After doing that big fat line I actually finnished everything I started" ...yeah right!

or

"After being up for five days in a row I realized that no one, especially the CIA, was after me, and I'm not the center of the universe."
Old 06-16-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

'I may not know when or why someone beat the s**t out of me last night or what happened to my shoes, but waking up under a bush in the rain is really quite romantic. Woop!'
Old 06-16-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The good looking policewoman that pulled me over for drunk driving just gave me her phone number and sent me on my way!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Loving these one liners relating to the Old Bill!! There is a real grounding that getting well and truly busted by the cops instills in ya. Quite a humorous thing looking back over but at the time it is pretty gruesome. Such great architecture goes into those police cells. lol.

'Ahhh The Police, You gotta love em.'
Old 06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoldenGutters View Post
Or how about:

"After doing that big fat line I actually finnished everything I started" ...yeah right!

or

"After being up for five days in a row I realized that no one, especially the CIA, was after me, and I'm not the center of the universe."
and...the CIA hasn't actually planted hidden microphones in my apartment to listen to my thoughts-that would be ridiculous!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My hobby's in life are,
1. Sport fishing
2. Kayaking
3. Puking while cleaning up last night's puke

If I could only choose one, it would be #3 hands down. Nothing in life compares to getting up at the crack of noon, sick as a dog, puking while cleaning up puke, and then calling it a day! Oh man, that's what I call REALLY Living !!!